• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Hybrid from mexicana 'Cape Canaveral'

Wiscdude is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hybrid from mexicana 'Cape Canaveral'

Used pollen from the species water lily mexicana 'Cape Canaveral' to make this one. Thank you Craig. Best one out of the 10 plants that came to flower from this cross. Compact plant with subtle but beautiful color. Can be more pale in cooler water with less sun. Can also be much stronger color in full sun. 2nd year of testing. It's 9 siblings have been composted.
      Attached Images Attached Images   

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

N. mexicana 'Cape Canaveral' today.

little_mikey is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Very nice hybrid... has the appeal of Mankala Ubol but looks to be a more realistic size...

CraigP is offline Senior Member
      is Needing No Insane Clown Posse

Feeling:
      Amused

That is indeed a gorgeous hybrid. From the photo, the flower to pad size is great and the contrast of the red in the pads to the gradual change from peach to yellow in the petals? I love it.

On a side note...Bill Frase, as many know, discovered N. mexicana 'Cape Canaveral' in '58 (?) on Cape Canaveral, Florida. He shared some with a colleague, Jim Thiele, then in Homestead Florida. As it happened, Mr. Frase lost his stock and returned to the Cape to collect more....only to find the collection site was now covered in pavement. Jim still had the plants Bill had given him and resupplied Mr. Frase. I visited Jim some years back and he shared that original stock with me, and other rare plants. Like so many aquatic nursery growers, Jim was a lover of plants in general, and the ability to share with other avid plant lovers was more meaningful to him than money. He is one of the finest, most generous men I have ever had the pleasure to meet. Though he made a living selling plants...it is the continuation of true lines that is most important to him.
      Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is. And you must bend to its power or live a lie.”― Miyamoto Musashi

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." ~ Jimi Hendrix

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

Craig

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
      That is indeed a gorgeous hybrid. From the photo, the flower to pad size is great and the contrast of the red in the pads to the gradual change from peach to yellow in the petals? I love it.

On a side note...Bill Frase, as many know, discovered N. mexicana 'Cape Canaveral' in '58 (?) on Cape Canaveral, Florida. He shared some with a colleague, Jim Thiele, then in Homestead Florida. As it happened, Mr. Frase lost his stock and returned to the Cape to collect more....only to find the collection site was now covered in pavement. Jim still had the plants Bill had given him and resupplied Mr. Frase. I visited Jim some years back and he shared that original stock with me, and other rare plants. Like so many aquatic nursery growers, Jim was a lover of plants in general, and the ability to share with other avid plant lovers was more meaningful to him than money. He is one of the finest, most generous men I have ever had the pleasure to meet. Though he made a living selling plants...it is the continuation of true lines that is most important to him.
      Thank you, i like this one. Great story! Very interesting, thankfully Jim still had it. I do NOT grow regular mexicana for fear of confusing the two. I want to always know i have the real one. Because of the cool nights during the summer in Wisconsin, it does not perform like it would in a tropical climate but i get a fair amount of blooms. I crossed it with my super cup shape hybrid i call 'Teacup'. Always looking forward.

little_mikey is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The Cape Canaveral Mexicana is very nice. I just got some recently. It is kinda sad because I have sort of lost all interest in hardy yellow hybrids (don't really compare)...

@Wiscdude
      What do the undersides of the pads look like? The color palate of the plant overall complements the flower nicely. How fragrant is it? (Canaveral Mexicana smells but Mankala Ubol and some other hybrids don't)... Also the petal count + symmetry is perfect.

matherfish is offline Senior Member
      is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

Beautiful, Wiscdude!
      Sunfire Hardy Water Lily now available
      See my Pro Seller store on Koiphen

“People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care”
      ― Zig Ziglar

Koiphen 2019 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by little_mikey View Post
      The Cape Canaveral Mexicana is very nice. I just got some recently. It is kinda sad because I have sort of lost all interest in hardy yellow hybrids (don't really compare)...

@Wiscdude
      What do the undersides of the pads look like? The color palate of the plant overall complements the flower nicely. How fragrant is it? (Canaveral Mexicana smells but Mankala Ubol and some other hybrids don't)... Also the petal count + symmetry is perfect.
      Undersides of leaves are lightly spotted. The cool summer nights in Wisconsin prevent it from growing out fully but i love it.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by matherfish View Post
      Beautiful, Wiscdude!
      Thank you.

gray cat is offline Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring

Feeling:
      Happy

Beautiful! Very nice.
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by little_mikey View Post
      Very nice hybrid... has the appeal of Mankala Ubol but looks to be a more realistic size...
      Thank you very much.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by gray cat View Post
      Beautiful! Very nice.
      Thanks!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The color of this hybrid is so variable depending on the environment. These photos all from this "summer", although it didn't feel like summer. The 4th photo is when this plant was fully charged from fertilizer and deeper water. I moved the plant 3 times due to necessity and did not add more fertilizer and it finally ended up in a tub out of the pond.The pale blooms are from cold water and minimal sun. I still like the pale version.
      Last edited by Wiscdude; 11-11-2017 at 05:16 PM.

montwila is offline Supporting Member
      is Busy

Feeling:
      Tired

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by montwila View Post
      Very gorgeous plant.
      Thank you.

Feeling:
      Amused

Again....beautiful pictures of lovingly nurtured plants. I am glad the 'Cape Canaveral' is doing well for you. Your stock comes directly from Bill Frase's original collection of the variety. On a side note....after the farmer's market I stopped on the way home and stumbled on a store that had this year's release of Founders Backwood's Bastar_d and it is sublime! < g >

Also, I am collecting the stock I plan to save into a pond I will cover....I know you have space limitations, but are you interested in ample, pulchella or micrantha? All come with impeccable provenance.
      Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is. And you must bend to its power or live a lie.”― Miyamoto Musashi

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

Craig

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
      Again....beautiful pictures of lovingly nurtured plants. I am glad the 'Cape Canaveral' is doing well for you. Your stock comes directly from Bill Frase's original collection of the variety. On a side note....after the farmer's market I stopped on the way home and stumbled on a store that had this year's release of Founders Backwood's Bastar_d and it is sublime! < g >

Also, I am collecting the stock I plan to save into a pond I will cover....I know you have space limitations, but are you interested in ample, pulchella or micrantha? All come with impeccable provenance.
      I will have to try it. I tried the DKML and it was a bit too sweet. KBS is my all time favorite. Both from Founders of course.
      Yes, i would really enjoy those species lilies, it is a rare chance to grow them. Next season my lilies will have full sun and more space. They should grow well. Thanks Craig.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Craig, is Pulchella the other form of ampla? When i looked on Vic adventure it looks tiny. When i read other articles it made it sound like a larger plant. I want to grow all three of those species plants. I want to do a lot of species crosses and also try HxT crosses with them. I expanded my growing area so i have plenty of room.
      Last edited by Wiscdude; 11-23-2017 at 07:15 PM.

Feeling:
      Amused

Hey Matt....Hope you had a good T'giving.

N. pulchella is a distinct species from N. ampla, though they are similar looking. In fact, my friend in St Croix sent it to me as ampla, once it got began blooming, I became suspicious and Dr. Wiersma confirmed it was indeed pulchella. It is close in size to ampla, maybe a little smaller, fewer petals and darker colored peduncle and sepals. Here is a bloom from a couple weeks ago...I have pictures of the ampla and pulchella buds I'll try to find and send. They aren't the best and I have this thing of sending flawed pictures...but I'll see if I can clean them up. < g >

Just because it is there.....here is a red night that was blooming today in the farm pond.

Craig

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Great photo of pulchella! I scoured the the net and this is the best one i have seen. The nightbloomer is great, i am really starting to appreciate them.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007