• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Hikari Foods and Bloat ?

totallyvictorian is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Hikari Foods and Bloat ?

I have been reading a lot on a Goldfish forum that people have been experiencing
      a lot of bloat from feeding Hikari foods. That is basically all I feed my goldfish
      and have not had a problem. Has anyone else seen/or heard of this? I just
      purchased some Omega One food and they seem to like it. (The ones inside the
      garage)
      Just wondering...

Pam

Montgomery County Water Garden Society
      Clarksville, Tn

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

jimfish98 is offline Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

I have fed Hikari for Koi, Goldfish, and Cichlids. None were ever impacted with bloat.

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

mjfromga is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I've never tried the food. Mainly due to these claims but also once I looked at the ingredient list of Saki Hikari... I laughed. Why pay $16-$17 for a 7 ounce bag of mostly wheat? There are better foods out there for less money so there was no reason to try the Hikari.

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
      I've never tried the food. Mainly due to these claims but also once I looked at the ingredient list of Saki Hikari... I laughed. Why pay $16-$17 for a 7 ounce bag of mostly wheat? There are better foods out there for less money so there was no reason to try the Hikari.
      agree with this. but hikari has some high end food for koi called saki. I pay alot for it but is has probiotics and I've had 0 health issues after using it .

i don't think hikari would produce a food that would make a fish bloat..just rumor, read the ingredients in the food. just like dogs and cats...

gray cat is offline Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring

Feeling:
      Happy

Pam, I have never had a problem with feeding my pond fish Hikari Wheat Germ. I feed this food when the water temps go below 64 to 41*. Hikari says not to feed below 41*. This is their only product that I use.
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I do disease assistance for goldfish on several forums. There are tons of links between two formulas and fancy goldfish floating. These formulas are the Hikari Lionhead and the Saki Hikari fancy goldfish food. It isn't rumor. The instance of these floating issues within FANCY (not single tailed) goldfish are too high compared to other foods. I never recommend these foods for fancy goldfish. Regular type goldfish do fine on them. Check the base ingredients for the Saki Hikari purple bag fancy goldfish food. It really looks like junk... And it is junk... In a fancy bag with a high price tag.

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I do disease assistance for goldfish on several forums. There are tons of links between two formulas and fancy goldfish floating. These formulas are the Hikari Lionhead and the Saki Hikari fancy goldfish food. It isn't rumor. The instance of these floating issues within FANCY (not single tailed) goldfish are too high compared to other foods. I never recommend these foods for fancy goldfish. Regular type goldfish do fine on them. Check the base ingredients for the Saki Hikari purple bag fancy goldfish food. It really looks like junk... And it is junk... In a fancy bag with a high price tag.
      Thanks for the post. Several years ago, I had fancies and fed the Lionhead and ended up leaving the fancies as they always ended up floating upside down. Learn something new everyday, even if it is several years too late.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

thanks for your post. hopefully this can help others with fancies..ive considered having some on my 300 gallon rubbermaid

totallyvictorian is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      Thanks for the post. Several years ago, I had fancies and fed the Lionhead and ended up leaving the fancies as they always ended up floating upside down. Learn something new everyday, even if it is several years too late.
      Rich I am feeding the Lionhead and the purple fancy. I have one that is huge and swims sideways a lot. The others are doing fine. I just started with the Omega
      One food a few pellets.
      Thanks MJ for the information. What are you feeding your fancies? Or did I miss it?

Pam

Montgomery County Water Garden Society
      Clarksville, Tn

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I feed a variety of foods. My goldfish enjoy Repashy Gel Foods. I also like YFS Seafood crumbles and AAP Paradigm herbivore. For pellets I move around. Ocean Nutrition Formula One, Blackwater Creek, Kens Krill pellets, or Azoo Carnivore Stick (have to break these). I don't feed a mostly pellet diet.

As far as fish swimming upside down, I have had zero cases of this. The Hikari Lionhead seems to cause the worst floating that I've seen amongst primarily pellet feeders. If you have a large Oranda that doesn't swim that well, especially if it has a very large wen... it is often not food related. These fish seem to be extremely prone to swimming problems regardless.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007