• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: can I fit all this in my 10x10' F.pit, and is this the best way to do it?

RichToyBox is online now Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

For a pond of this size, you might could consider it a mud pond, with little or no filtration. It would require the population be kept small, like one fish per 5000 gallons or so, and you would not be able to see the fish, as the water would not be clear. If you were to want to add filtration in the future, then you would need to have the necessary plumbing for the pond in place going to the filter pit area. It would also require, like with most mud ponds, a complete or nearly complete pump out each year and the debris removed from the bottom. If the plumbing is there, the filtration can be added piecemeal over the years adding some of the newer technology as it comes out. You would need to be sure that the fish load and feeding regimen is such that the development of measurable ammonia and nitrite does not occur.

Now if you are looking for clear sparkling swimming pool like water, the filtration will need to be there at the onset.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

DragonFireSG is online now Senior Member
      is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Does the pond already exist, with the filter pit being constructed to augment it, or is this something being planned from scratch?

tom66 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by DragonFireSG View Post
      Does the pond already exist, with the filter pit being constructed to augment it, or is this something being planned from scratch?
      the pond has been dug out, the filter pit is dug and is under construction

Oskie Boy is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

it would be cool to see a few pictures of the construction.

Mild Bill is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Crazy

Wow, 50,000 gallons. I'm thinking what happens when a heath issue comes up. Treating 50,000 gallons of water would be both impractical and very expensive. I couldn't imagine trying to catch an individual koi in a pond that size. Years ago when we had a large spawn in our 4000 gallon pond it was a pain catching them.

kevin32 is online now Senior Member
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

edit
      Last edited by kevin32; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:41 PM.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Think more for recreation and less for koi...

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...d-construction
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

kevin32 is online now Senior Member
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      Think more for recreation and less for koi...

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...d-construction
      ah I see...
      Last edited by kevin32; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:42 PM.

probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
      nice way to put it. i don't want to be the mean guy but this a pond gone wrong if koi keeping is the intention. having a huge artificial pond with low fish count and poor filtration system will just lead to a poor pond and results.
      The link is Tom's (OP) too... it's clear that he's intending it to be more for swimming and little to no fish load.
      --Steve

is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

It sounds like anoxic pots in the main pond itself might serve to bolster filtration for this massive body of water.

koiman1950 is offline Senior Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Funny, all this additional discussion but the OP hasn't been back for a week.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

tom66 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by DragonFireSG View Post
      It sounds like anoxic pots in the main pond itself might serve to bolster filtration for this massive body of water.
      What is "anoxic pots" can you explain?

tom66 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

have been busy digging ... lower back is calling for a chiropractor add it to the budget budget has already doubled and it;s still going up.
      I bought 3 pallets of 80lb concrete bags !! and a nice brand new cement mixer. next i will start pouring some footing.
      I will post some pictures soon and some questions as I am still unsure as to how to do lots of things.
      I appreciate everyone's input but I would prefer if those of you who only post negative criticism would abstain. I do want people to help me but to those who just want to put down the whole project please .... don't. The hole has been dug, the project is going forward. i have an ever expanding budget and a limited know-how, and I need help to decide what to buy and how to do things. I cannot raise the budget to the level of the best koi-keeping guys here.
      If at the end the pond will have water quality good enough for swimming we will swim in it, if not I will either add more fancy machines down the road, or just keep the pond going and use it as water-front property I have always wanted to have a home over a lake, this will be it
      Tom

tom66 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

latest development

Attached Images Attached Images     

vipertom1970 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hey Tom, I apologize if you think post #19 is a negative comment toward you build but the only advice I can give you at this time is it's a lot cheaper to do it right the first time. 50,000 gallon pond is no joke so don't skip in bottom drains or skimmers and you will need a lot of big pipes.
      Last edited by vipertom1970; 1 Week Ago at 02:50 PM.

tom66 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Does anyone know anything about "metal lath"? Can that be used to give a bit of extra structural strength to a wall ? (by applying it with stucco/cement on the inside of my filter pit walls)(or maybe there is something similar to metal lath that can be used for this purpose).
      I am thinking about having a bit of reinforcement but I don't think my situation calls for filling all walls ..... I am planning on just mortaring my cement blocks .... or maybe at the most to have one vertical cell reinforced (and/or the bond beam at the top) ... (by the way is there a way to fill and rebar one row mid wall, while leaving all others hollow?)

probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

I don't know about metal lath but have you looked at surface bonding cement? It adds a lot of integrity to
      a hollow block wall.

And yes, you can fill and rebar a row mid wall... Google "lintel". I did one when I made an opening for my
      pipe into my filter pit. You can just build a wood frame and then once the block and rebar is filled it can be
      removed and it will remain stable like a window frame.

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...53#post1247153
      --Steve

is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by tom66 View Post
      What is "anoxic pots" can you explain?
      Check out my thread on anoxic denitrification. Google for biocenosis basket. The baskets are made out of fired clay non clumping kitty litter with a laterite/seachem red fluorite core.

BroHay is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

In my exposure, metal lath is typically not used for a structural element but used as a base for decorative finishes to hide/beautify the ugly structural components. The finish that it supports can range from a .5-.75 of an inch in thickness

Surface bonding cement

I had to look @ this product so I may be wrong in all its intended uses. The surface bonding cement is meant for use in a dry stack application to tie the block together that would otherwise be joined by mortar joints. Most uses that I saw had every single cell filled with concrete. I can only assume that those walls were built in accordance with normal building practices for footing, rebar, and properly rated concrete.

With its application, I would not put anything more than paint to finish the wall. I would not consider it a proper scratch coat to follow with a brown and then finish. Or act as any significant structural element.

Ever busted a hollow block wall VS one that is filled?

Of the few pictures I see, what are you proposing to keep the water in, a liner? If so, how are you going to keep the other forces outside of that liner @ bay?

As an example, after I filled my tank with water, one can see the forces at work with still having no dirt against it. It was square/plumb prior to filling. 2x6 pressure treated with 4x6 at corners and middle along a 91" wall length.

Just for reference as well, here is what I would consider a properly designed retaining wall. Single cell filled here and there is not sufficient.

You had already indicated escalating costs and you are not even to the meat of the project.

Final food for thought. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING can replace family or friends by trying to save a buck. It is one thing to push the limits of oneself, but not to ask so of others who might use the pool.

I know that you were originally asking about filtration, but I feel there are actual construction issues that need to be looked at or better clarified to fully understand the project @ hand.

Adam
      Last edited by BroHay; 1 Week Ago at 08:32 AM.

probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by BroHay View Post
      Surface bonding cement

I had to look @ this product so I may be wrong in all its intended uses. The surface bonding cement is meant for use in a dry stack application to tie the block together that would otherwise be joined by mortar joints. Most uses that I saw had every single cell filled with concrete. I can only assume that those walls were built in accordance with normal building practices for footing, rebar, and properly rated concrete.

With its application, I would not put anything more than paint to finish the wall. I would not consider it a proper scratch coat to follow with a brown and then finish. Or act as any significant structural element.

Ever busted a hollow block wall VS one that is filled?
      Since he was asking about his filter pit it appears to be mostly in ground and it's how I built mine.
      --Steve

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast