• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: moving koi

bobbd is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

moving koi

My pond is not finished yet so i have to move my koi to garage or a friends pond for the winter , i am thinking unheated garage would be safer because my koi woul be in inhabiting with his koi with no quarintation . Also pond water right now is 40 wont the move stress them . Right now their in an intex pool in yard . Thanks for replies

davidjensen is offline Senior Member
      is needing more Koi

Feeling:
      Amused

Yes it will stress them but it should not kill them. Make sure the water temps are equal and have good water quality. It will take many days for the herd to acclimate to their new surroundings and make sure they cannot jump out. You should use a koi sock net to make the transfer or bag the fish in the intex pool and then move them.
      Need more Koi

montwila is offline Senior Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It is very late in the year to be moving them if your water is 40*F. The kidneys will be very slow at removing the adrenaline and cortisol at that level of metabolism in those temperatures. Be very gentle catching and handling the fish as it sounds like they must be moved. If they must be moved then do the best you can with them.

I would not introduce them to another system (your friends). They will have essentially no immunity at those lower temperatures. Keep them in your own system in the garage and do the best you can.

Good Luck
      Last edited by montwila; 6 Days Ago at 08:47 PM.

bobbd is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks again for replies. Since moving would stress them would it de better just to leave them in 12 round intex in yard , im thinking at least they can get the sun for 8 hrs a day to warm water up where as the garage is not insulated and there would be no sun to warm water..the only thing garage would do is block the wind. In yard sun and wind-garage no sun and no wind

inazuma28 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If you are in PA i would think there is a small chance that the entire pool could freeze. You dont have the benefit of ground warmth seeing as the pool is not in-ground. The wind is actually a major factor in allowing rapid temperature change. Id move them into the garage.

montwila is offline Senior Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wind is what really cools a pond. Whether it is a waterfall or across the surface of a body of water. If you were to Winter them over in an intex pool I would suggest floating styrofoam on its surface with a small area left open and air stone to help off gas CO2. In a PA Winter I believe this would be a very risky endeavor at best. You can regularly see temperature drop to 0*F. I think the water in an unheated above ground pool could easily reach into the low 30's or actually freeze solid. Afterall Ice fisherman regularly have to make hole up to 2' thick. Koi are very fragile at 38-40 degrees as mentioned above. If the water gets down to 34*F or below some will probably never make it back. I do not believe leaving them in the pool "unprotected" is an option in your area of the country.

I have always felt that the inside of a building is warmer in Winter than outside. Even if the garage is a stand alone building I believe it would be slightly warmer inside than outside night time temps. If the building is attached to the house it will receive some energy from the heated structure. It will certainly keep the wind from chilling the water by convection and keep temperature swings to a minimum. You can also use lights on a timer to help them with "daylight" In nature there would be very little light below the ice, on the bottom of a lake or river, at your latitude. An incandescent light might even help moderate the air temp. some what. They are very inefficient.

So yes, I believe the fish should be brought to a safer location unless you can make the intex safe for them. Both your first options would probably be safer than an unprotected intex pool outdoors in Winter in PA. Building a green house over the pool might be a start. Covering the pools surface with styrofoam would further protect it. Possibly some heat. However all this is an expense. You have to choose the lesser of all evils in this case.

How far along is the pond? Could it become an in the ground swimming pool for the Winter?

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

Over the years I have seen several situations where fish needed a temporary home. Healthy fish were moved to a friend's pond that was in good condition with healthy fish. Never have heard about a single problem. How many pond grade fish that are sold or given away are actually quarantined before transfer? If the fish in both ponds have been observed for a long time with no issues the risk is minimal.

More risky is when you are bringing in a koi whose history is unknown. Unless you are dealing with some high dollar koi probably not an issue. A very small percentage of koi transfered are quarentined properly.

graybird is offline Senior Member ~ WWKC BOD
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I think you should move them to your garage, and add as much insulation around the tank as you can. I use a sheet of thick rigid insulation under my quarantine tank, and wrap the tank itself with a flexible insulation, then more hard insulation covering part of the top over the net. I use pieces of rigid insulation around the filter too. If you can afford the electrical bills, you can use several 250w aquarium heaters to heat the water. My winter days are in the 50s and nights in the 30s, and I can keep my outdoor Q in the high 60s without too much pain to the wallet.
      Mary

davidjensen is offline Senior Member
      is needing more Koi

Feeling:
      Amused

Don't worry about "stressing" the fish. They are Carp. Keeping them in an intex pool outdoors with no insulation is asking for trouble. The water temps will go up and down much more than if they were in a more controlled environment. Fish don't like fast changes and it may stress them more than the move. Place some foam insulation sheets on the conc floor under the tank to help with insulation.
      Need more Koi