• Tired
  • Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How is your assessment?

Doman71 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

How is your assessment?

Pond grade here, but still would like to hear your assessments, and see if you're right. Didn't put this in the critique section because it's not a new critique, but a past to present look for those still learning. First photos will be from 2015, tomorrow I'll update with 2016, and then 2017 afterwards(I still have to bowl for 2017 photos).

May 02, 2015
      Name:  20150502_009.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  65.6 KB

July 24, 2015
      Name:  20150724_115946.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  18.0 KB

Russell Peters is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

people vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better
      Quote Originally Posted by Doman71 View Post
      Pond grade here, but still would like to hear your assessments, and see if you're right. Didn't put this in the critique section because it's not a new critique, but a past to present look for those still learning. First photos will be from 2015, tomorrow I'll update with 2016, and then 2017 afterwards(I still have to bowl for 2017 photos).

May 02, 2015

July 24, 2015
      I guess whether we are right or not really depends on whether you know anything about Koi. Some will think these will turn out very well but, in the big picture, there is nothing redeemable about these two. What I mean is, if you compare them to the best Koi in the world, they don't stand up.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

koiman1950 is offline Senior Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

May 02, 2015

July 24, 2015
      Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      I guess whether we are right or not really depends on whether you know anything about Koi. Some will think these will turn out very well but, in the big picture, there is nothing redeemable about these two. What I mean is, if you compare them to the best Koi in the world, they don't stand up.
      A bit harsh for "main" and the first three words of his post kinda say he already is aware of that. I don't think he's asking to compare to the "best in the world".
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Well, I think most people know something about koi... even if it's just that it's a freshwater fish. The amount of knowledge will vary and I think one would like to hone their skills by continuing to evaluate koi(especially the new hobbyist). I don't want to sound un-appreciative, but I think my posts are for the new hobbyists who are still learning. Experts can just sit back and watch, and laugh at these ugly koi.

My $100 koi weren't meant to be compared to the best koi in the world... there's just no way they will stand up(they have no legs). So here's my observation of late... people only like to talk about gosanke, but not just any gosanke... but the ones from big name breeders. The bar has been risen to show quality level and anything lesser is a waste of time. I'll have to re-evaluate whether I want to continue posting anything to this forum. It's just not that enjoyable. imho
      Last edited by Doman71; 1 Week Ago at 06:33 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

people vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better
      Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      A bit harsh for "main" and the first three words of his post kinda say he already is aware of that. I don't think he's asking to compare to the "best in the world".
      It is the truth, and I did say some will think they would turn out well. Is there a standard for judging pond grade Koi? Is there something we can compare them to so that we come to the same conclusion? I don't think so so how do you judge these?
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Well, I think most people know something about koi... even if it's just that it's a freshwater fish. The amount of knowledge will vary and I think one would like to hone their skills by evaluate koi(especially the new hobbyist). I don't want to sound un-appreciative, but I think my posts are for the new hobbyists who are still learning. Experts can just watch and laugh at these ugly koi.

My $100 koi weren't meant to be compared to the best koi in the world... there's just no way they will stand up(they have no legs). So here's my observation of late... people only like to talk about gosanke, but not just any gosanke... but the ones from big name breeders. The bar has been risen to show quality level and anything lesser is a waste of time. I'll have to re-evaluate whether I want to continue posting anything to this forum. It's just not that enjoyable. imho
      You did put this in main and you did ask for opinions. You did not say that people with knowledge could not respond. If you want a less harsh analysis of Koi there is a section for judging lesser quality Koi.

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/forumd...rious-Critique

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      is ready for winter

Feeling:
      Shy

Oh c'on this is going to be fun. Ok newbie here.
      Sanke is male because of the bright beni. It's grown short and stuby.
      Kohaku might be female but most likely male. Probably have grown better than the sanke with better conformation.

koiman1950 is offline Senior Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

It is the truth, and I did say some will think they would turn out well. Is there a standard for judging pond grade Koi? Is there something we can compare them to so that we come to the same conclusion? I don't think so so how do you judge these?
      This was posted in Main, not in the serious judge my koi forum. Give the guy a break. As pond grade, judge them for what they are if you so desire but I agree, maybe "judging" is a wrongly used term. Maybe "evaluate" would be better. Not everyone spends 5+ figures to get the best they can. But, you can find decent fish to enjoy and maybe learn a bit from without having to be on the competition circuit.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      This was posted in Main, not in the serious judge my koi forum. Give the guy a break. As pond grade, judge them for what they are if you so desire but I agree, maybe "judging" is a wrongly used term. Maybe "evaluate" would be better. Not everyone spends 5+ figures to get the best they can. But, you can find decent fish to enjoy and maybe learn a bit from without having to be on the competition circuit.
      I did and I am getting flack for it. This is my opinion only. If it is not needed then say so ahead of time.

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

From the input of the original poster I'm going to move this to the Less Serious Critique forum...
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

kevin32 is online now Senior Member
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Awesome

how big were they in the first pics? I assume you want us to guess how they might look now?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You did put this in main and you did ask for opinions. You did not say that people with knowledge could not respond. If you want a less harsh analysis of Koi there is a section for judging lesser quality Koi.

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/forumd...rious-Critique
      It's not a matter of harsh analysis or not, but if your analysis is "there is nothing redeemable about these two", then that's pretty worthless... even if it came from an expert. KoiRun's analysis is at least constructive.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
      how big were they in the first pics? I assume you want us to guess how they might look now?
      Sanke was 9" and kohaku 7".

Being a newbie, I felt that before & after pics were useful tools. Now, if someone with more knowledge can elaborate on the development, that's even better. This really is just for fun(for those at the applicable skill level) to evaluate your own skills and to further discuss what we know or thought we know.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Awesome

Sanke was 9" and kohaku 7".

Being a newbie, I felt that before & after pics were useful tools. Now, if someone with more knowledge can elaborate on the development, that's even better. This really is just for fun(for those at the applicable skill level) to evaluate your own skills and to further discuss what we know or thought we know.
      well it is so hard to predict where they might be now. I've had some kohaku turn into sanke. and have had some kohaku turn totally white.

I'm going to say the kohaku still has light beni and may have lost some of it.the sanke as koirun pointed out has nicer beni but may be the beni fade as well as it might have came on to fast. cant wait to see the development pics. always fun to see

OCkoiFan is offline Senior Member
      is on a tosai winter mission

Feeling:
      Secret

Is the sanke from your first grow out? If yes I might have seen it
      Looking at thirst pics I prefer the kohaku better. Sanke is lack of luster and pattern also seems like hard inconsistent beni. I bet they must doing alright for you to keep them until now. I saw your shiro triplets thread last time and your eyes for pattern, body are improved compare to these koi. Iíll hang around for more update pics
      M.Nguyen

is chillin

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by OCkoiFan View Post
      Looking at thirst pics I prefer the kohaku better. Sanke is lack of luster and pattern also seems like hard inconsistent beni. I bet they must doing alright for you to keep them until now. I saw your shiro triplets thread last time and your eyes for pattern, body are improved compare to these koi. I’ll hang around for more update pics
      yep

audioenvy is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It's not a matter of harsh analysis or not, but if your analysis is "there is nothing redeemable about these two", then that's pretty worthless... even if it came from an expert. KoiRun's analysis is at least constructive.
      Let's see the updated photos!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by OCkoiFan View Post
      Looking at thirst pics I prefer the kohaku better. Sanke is lack of luster and pattern also seems like hard inconsistent beni. I bet they must doing alright for you to keep them until now. I saw your shiro triplets thread last time and your eyes for pattern, body are improved compare to these koi. I’ll hang around for more update pics
      LOL, nice observation. Yes, the sanke is my first grow out and you have seen it(last year). As for luster, I think camera, lighting, and other variable may skew a photo... but yes, I'm still learning and training my eyes to detect luster and quality. As for improving? hmm... I think I've picked up on some of the things to look for, but in the end, I'm still an impulsive buyer.

As a spoiler(I think), these 2 did much better than many others... to include the shiro triplets(except for the one with developing sumi from Omosako, still too early to tell).

is chillin

Feeling:
      Awesome

LOL, nice observation. Yes, the sanke is my first grow out and you have seen it(last year). As for luster, I think camera, lighting, and other variable may skew a photo... but yes, I'm still learning and training my eyes to detect luster and quality. As for improving? hmm... I think I've picked up on some of the things to look for, but in the end, I'm still an impulsive buyer.

As a spoiler(I think), these 2 did much better than many others... to include the shiro triplets(except for the one with developing sumi from Omosako, still too early to tell).
      tease j/k man

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by audioenvy View Post
      Let's see the updated photos!
      Haha, thanks to the few who are making this fun again. So let's move this along a bit faster... below are the 2016 updates(side by side to minimize scrolling):

May 07, 2016
Views: 117
Size:  65.6 KBName:  20160507_141824.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  56.4 KB

May 10, 2016
Size:  18.0 KBName:  20160510_125314.jpg
Size:  37.3 KB