• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: PSKoi - Build in Thorntown Indiana

Russell Peters is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

people vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better
      Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
      You haven't mentioned it, but I assume you have drilled or chipped holes to verify the thickness, foundation, and reinforcement in that slab.
      The floor is quite well done. It is a 6" concrete slab with rebar. I didn't really research it much but figured, from things I have done in the past, that it should support the weight of the new tanks.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

people vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better
      Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
      Excellent, I have always thought that would be the best setup. I hope there is considerable excess BTU capacity in the wood furnace available for fluid to water heat exchangers.

I am installing PEX tubing into all of the concrete tanks. The floor thickness is going to be about 9" thick and the PEX tubing will be attached to the rebar which will be about 4" from the top of the concrete floor of the tanks. There will be an insulating/reflecting barrier below the PEX. I am looking into individual LP gas heating units for each of the Koi tanks as they are quite affordable. I have a 1,000 gallon LP tank next to the building and I can get LP gas for about $1.00 a gallon.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kdh View Post
      I doubt Russ is doing any projects in the postings he is showing. After careful review of the pics I do not see any evidence as such.

NO Starbucks cups.

I rest my case. lol

I now make my Starbucks coffee at home and am using Blonde Roast beans and grinding them. Here is my cup.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

We are also working on changing out all of the lighting to LED 5000K lighting. 8' strips will replace the five in the area where the Tosai tanks are for general lighting and we would hang two 8' strips, centered, over each of the larger tanks.

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      I now make my Starbucks coffee at home and am using Blonde Roast beans and grinding them. Here is my cup.
      I've noticed you prefer blonde.

Thumbs up on the cup. But than again they usually are. Bad joke

abuchi123 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

We are also working on changing out all of the lighting to LED 5000K lighting. 8' strips will replace the five in the area where the Tosai tanks are for general lighting and we would hang two 8' strips, centered, over each of the larger tanks.
      No artificial sunlight?

ricshaw is offline Senior Member
      is required to take minimum
      distribution on IRA

Feeling:
      Amused

Quote Originally Posted by abuchi123 View Post
      No artificial sunlight?
      Artificial sunlight bulb outputs are highly exaggerated IMO.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

No artificial sunlight?
      Yes, anything in the 5000K to 6500K represent daylight. This is not going to be the primary source ultimately though. Once I open up the front of the building they will get a lot of natural light.
      Last edited by Russell Peters; 3 Days Ago at 05:36 PM.

jimfish98 is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes, anything in the 5000K to 6500K represent daylight. This is not going to be the primary source ultimately though. Once I open up the front of the building they will get a lot of natural light.
      Daylight bulbs are great. Our whole house is LED 5000k bulbs at 840 lumens. Could never imagine switching back.

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

abuchi123 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

My question was really about UV-B. Is there correlation between skin color intensity and exposure to UV-B? We all know indoor koi look pale.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

My question was really about UV-B. Is there correlation between skin color intensity and exposure to UV-B? We all know indoor koi look pale.
      I am not really sure, and to be honest, this is something I would never think about. The Koi will have enough sunlight that it should not be a worry. I am building so that the Tosai go furthest back and the Nisai, and larger Koi, will be toward the front where there will be more natural sunlight.

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I am not really sure, and to be honest, this is something I would never think about. The Koi will have enough sunlight that it should not be a worry. I am building so that the Tosai go furthest back and the Nisai, and larger Koi, will be toward the front where there will be more natural sunlight.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It has been four days since I have posted. We had a big storm on Saturday and lost power for many hours. The house is fine as it has a whole house automatic generator that comes on automatically. It worked flawlessly. I have one ordered for the new greenhouse as it has a separate electrical service that is not protected with a generator. This means two things, one, I could not work out there without power and, two, this is not a good thing once the greenhouse is full of Koi. Once the storm was over I discovered there was a lot of water inside the building. I have someone coming out tomorrow to look at what needs to be done to keep the water out and better insulate the building. While this was going on we took Kiwi in for her introductory visit to her new vet. She did well. We also had about three acres of the property protected by an invisible fence and Kiwi now has the ability to roam around on her own. She is loving it.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have also been working on setting up the PSKoi office space. It is going better than it looks...

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I did get started again on the build too. More materials were delivered today. 4" pipe, rebar and some more 2 x 4.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

While moving some things around I unpacked a few boxes that are out in the greenhouse. I found this PSKoi sign that was made by a friend.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I got all of the exterior forms done on the four 1,500 gallon Tosai ponds.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

We got our first snow too.

friscoponder is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

sound like the storm came at the right time

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234