• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1118192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: PSKoi - Build in Thorntown Indiana

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

people vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better
      Quote Originally Posted by FRK View Post
      We Put in a radiant heat system in the basement of our house. It is very simular to yours. Works really well. The furnace system seldom needs to assist in winter.
      That is good to hear.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

malatu is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by friscoponder View Post
      I am wondering how much of the heat loss from the exposing copper pipe?
      One could argue that the heat loss via the copper pipe isn't that much, relatively speaking, plus, most of the heat all ends up in the showroom anyways (except what gets dissipated through the bottom of the koi tank and into the earth). It's not as if it's heat is going out an open window! To get a relative idea of amount of heat loss, you could take the temperature of water as it leaves the heating unit and again where enters the koi pool. I couldn't begin to tell you what a degree in temperature drop translates into btu's lost into the showroom instead of koi tank. I suspect someone could. And I suspect it's a function of flow rate, length of pipe and temperature drop.

On the other hand, one could argue you might as well use as much of the btu's generated by the tank-less unit to heat the water in the pool before it dissipates from the copper pipe into the showroom. Particularly if it's cheaper to use your showroom heater than using the heat generated by the tank-less units.

What a great Build-Out! Just fascinating!
      Last edited by malatu; 03-02-2018 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Clarification and Typo

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

people vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better
      Quote Originally Posted by malatu View Post
      One could argue that the heat loss via the copper pipe isn't that much, relatively speaking, plus, most of the heat all ends up in the showroom anyways (except what gets dissipated through the bottom of the koi tank and into the earth). It's not as if it's heat is going out an open window! To get a relative idea of amount of heat loss, you could take the temperature of water as it leaves the heating unit and again where enters the koi pool. I couldn't begin to tell you what a degree in temperature drop translates into btu's lost into the showroom instead of koi tank. I suspect someone could. And I suspect it's a function of flow rate, length of pipe and temperature drop.

On the other hand, one could argue you might as well use as much of the btu's generated by the tank-less unit to heat the water in the pool before it dissipates from the copper pipe into the showroom. Particularly if it's cheaper to use your showroom heater than using the heat generated by the tank-less units.

What a great Build-Out! Just fascinating!
      I have a heat barrier on top of the concrete floor and under the new floor designed to reflect the heat back up to the water.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      I have a heat barrier on top of the concrete floor and under the new floor designed to reflect the heat back up to the water.
      Lot's of forward thinking part of this build-out!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by malatu View Post
      Lot's of forward thinking part of this build-out!
      I will happily give credit where it is due. Marilyn is the one who suggested using it.

coolwon is online now Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Would the heat barrier sheeting be equivalent to sheets of styrene insulation placed underneath the floor slab?

The styrene sheets would have been as thick as the bottom drain pipes.

Any exposed heating tubing could be insulated with slide on refrigeration grade rubber insulationi.

Garfield
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

I will happily give credit where it is due. Marilyn is the one who suggested using it.
      Eggs N Ham!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
      Would the heat barrier sheeting be equivalent to sheets of styrene insulation placed underneath the floor slab?

The styrene sheets would have been as thick as the bottom drain pipes.

Any exposed heating tubing could be insulated with slide on refrigeration grade rubber insulationi.

Garfield
      I have no clue as I was not interested in anything that would make the base of the pour thinner. The reflective heat barrier is what is used in the trade for in floor heating systems. I am happy with it. I am not worried about what could have saved a little bit of heat loss, if it is even possible. My goal was to install an effective, yet simple, system that works. Based on what I used to pay, in CA, for energy costs the point is mute as far as I am concerned. I have four to five feet of copper pipe going in that is exposed and the same coming out. I have no plans to wrap them nor did it ever occur to me to worry about it. The bottom line is that my operational business is three times larger than it was and I will be surprised if I come close to spending what I did, in CA, on energy and water.

batterup is offline Koiphen Kid
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Just know it will look great
      PBJHOOPS

danzcool is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Benicia, CA, still on the bay so that it cools off nightly but far enough from the coast to be nice.
      ...I have four to five feet of copper pipe going in that is exposed and the same coming out. I have no plans to wrap them nor did it ever occur to me to worry about it. The bottom line is that my operational business is three times larger than it was and I will be surprised if I come close to spending what I did, in CA, on energy and water.
      at 160F, i would wrap it just so I don't burn myself while doing maintenance.
      Koiphen member since 05-13-2004
      This one time, at band camp....

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by danzcool View Post
      at 160F, i would wrap it just so I don't burn myself while doing maintenance.
      I guess a lot of people might, but I have no plans to do it.

danzcool is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Benicia, CA, still on the bay so that it cools off nightly but far enough from the coast to be nice.
      I guess a lot of people might, but I have no plans to do it.
      of course I say I would wrap it... but I still live in the ЯepuЪlik of Californistan, so due to energy costs, I wouldn't have built in heating in the first place, I do my best just to keep the pumps running.
      But it all looks good.
      Koiphen member since 05-13-2004
      This one time, at band camp....

BAVOTOI is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

RP any new with you shop build ??

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by BAVOTOI View Post
      RP any new with you shop build ??
      Yes, I have been 'tinkering' away. No pics yet though. The 4 smaller ponds are cycling.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have spent the week working on one of the larger ponds to get ready for the shipment of Koi coming in on 3/22. This tank is approximately 4,000 gallons. It has been ground down, cleaned up, painted and is now filling up with water.
      Attached Images Attached Images   

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

These tanks will have a larger Red Label RDF on them. It is the 50/55 and it will have four bottom drains connecting to it. The pipes have been cut back and the ball valves are installed. The platform for the RDF is ready.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I framed up some supports for the heaters on the outer wall. Two of the heaters are in and one is vented to the exterior. The gas line has been extended, you can see it below the heaters, and I need to get the electrical in and the copper water lines for the PEX tubing.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

We have been quite busy getting ready for our first shipment of Koi to our facility in Indiana. We have 74 boxes of Koi coming. The large tank is full of water and almost ready. I have finished setting up the heater but have not turned it on as the water temperature has been rising on it's own. The greenhouse is staying about 75 degrees and the water in the tank has gone from 55 degrees to 64 degrees without turning on the gas heater.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

We have cleaned out the area behind the large tanks so I can get the RDF's in. I have not hooked up the shower yet as it didn't make sense to do it right away as the RDF's have been in Cincinnati for a couple of days.
      Last edited by Russell Peters; 03-13-2018 at 10:30 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Our old blue tubs have been cleaned and are ready for Koi.

Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1118192021222324 ... LastLast