• Tired

Thread: Gin Rin Ki Matsuba

Doman71 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Gin Rin Ki Matsuba

Hello everyone,

Not sure where to start, but here it goes. I was looking for something that's not too common. What I found here is Gin Rin Ki Matsuba. I don't seem to see many large(20+ inches). Correct me if I'm wrong, but many Ki Matsuba out there seem to be Kin Ki Matsuba. If you own a true Ki Matsuba(non metallic) I'd love to see them.

Back to my koi... would this Gin Rin Ki Matsuba count as uncommon? I don't dare to say rare because rare usually means $$$, and this one is not.

Anyhow, does a light matsuba pattern still apply when it's a gin rin? Will the yellow brighten up? etc...

Btw, I've forgotten what type the other yellow koi is, so please ID and critique as well. I'm hoping that those scales are also gin rin and would really pop when the koi grows. 🙏 😁Name:  20171104_134622~2.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  67.9 KB

montwila is offline Senior Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Was a little clumsy trying to attach pic from a smartphone... got it attached now.

koiman1950 is offline Senior Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by Doman71 View Post
      Hello everyone,

Not sure where to start, but here it goes. I was looking for something that's not too common. What I found here is Gin Rin Ki Matsuba. I don't seem to see many large(20+ inches). Correct me if I'm wrong, but many Ki Matsuba out there seem to be Kin Ki Matsuba. If you own a true Ki Matsuba(non metallic) I'd love to see them.

Back to my koi... would this Gin Rin Ki Matsuba count as uncommon? I don't dare to say rare because rare usually means $$$, and this one is not.

Anyhow, does a light matsuba pattern still apply when it's a gin rin? Will the yellow brighten up? etc...

Btw, I've forgotten what type the other yellow koi is, so please ID and critique as well. I'm hoping that those scales are also gin rin and would really pop when the koi grows. �� ��Name:  20171104_134622~2.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  67.9 KB
      The middle one looks more like a GinRin Midorigoi. The green in the dorsal line is more akin to midori than matsuba. The other one looks a bit like a Doitsu GinRin metallic ochiba or a "one off" pond grade. The other is a Heisei Nishiki.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      The middle one looks more like a GinRin Midorigoi. The green in the dorsal line is more akin to midori than matsuba. The other one looks a bit like a Doitsu GinRin metallic ochiba or a "one off" pond grade. The other is a Heisei Nishiki.
      I can see that... GinRin Midorigoi it is then. To me, scaled midorigoi is less common than the doitsu version so I'm good with that. What's troublesome about midorigoi though is that the information & images seem to be scarse or inconsistent. Are the netting along the dorsal line like matsuba? or will they be all over body like some chagoi? Can the green pigment be overtaken by the yellow and look more like a karashigoi?

Definitely a learning koi for me. I just hope that 'she' grows up with nice body shape. Too young to determine sex, but I'm calling her a girl due to her eating habit(stay on surface chomping on food). 😁

And thanks for IDing the others as well. Guess uncommon koi are also unpopular koi. LOL
      Last edited by Doman71; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:28 PM.

koiman1950 is offline Senior Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Wait! Don't re-name it based on my "guess" as I said it "looks like" a Midorigoi but the reticulated scales on the shoulder speak otherwise and make this very confusing due to the green tint above the lateral line. This might well be a Matsuba of some kind and until it's about 3 yrs old, I don't think you could truly give it the "right" name of a variety. Just enjoy it for what it is and see how it turns out. It can only go two ways, right?!
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

LOL. I did go back and re-evaluated the various aspects and wasn't convinced with it being a Midorigoi either. But calling it a Ki Matsuba is difficult too, because there are not many pictures of such koi(most are metallic Ki Matsuba). For now, it's a mutt... a duckling soon to become a swan.

Here's the url to see this (and other misfits) is motion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-Ulmn_puKU

Koigrl is offline Senior Member
      is back home. Ponds and fish look
      good

Feeling:
      Cool

More pictures please as they grow.

Ki Shusui Project : 300k Challenge : 500k Build : Flock Spawn Jamboree : Our Ki Midori Champions

Ten minute video of Russ Peters sexing our future ki shusui oyagoi. : http://youtu.be/AhROs1cjC18

Updated for the 2017 Harvest: What is "ki shusui?" Short version http://www.kishusui.com

Twelve seconds that are the entire point of the last seven years!
      https://youtu.be/zNqTJgM3lpY

If you're reading this, you're on Team Ki.
      Kichi loves company. Max

K-POTY 2013

montwila is offline Senior Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If you cannot identify it then just give it a name like Sally until "she" blossoms on her own.

It would be a fun fish to watch.