• Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blood red fins and laying on the bottom...little slime coat either

Stevectx is offline Member
      is Has no status

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      Dumb question, as you are treating with some pretty hard hitting chemicals, do you know the volume of the pond or are you guessing? Many people have used the formulas for determining pond volume of length times width times depth time 7.48 to get the volume, but if the pond has walls that are not straight down, the formula over estimates the volume, and if the pond has shelves, then it is again over estimating. Some have found the volume to be off by almost double, and in that case the treatment could be fatal. Some have used the product at up to about 1.25 times the manufacturer's recommended dosage, but much over that I would be worried. If your pond was not filled with a meter in line, or a means of determining the volume by salt or similar, then I would worry.

As the parasites are being attacked by the BSDT, they will try to burrow in to get away from the chemicals. This causes flashing, breaching, and other weird swimming behaviors. If you know the volume is correct, do not stop the treatment because of it.
      No such thing as a dumb question...only a dumb answer. And the answer is I used calculated guesses. In other words I guessed at the average length and width (we do have ledges) as well as the depth. Metering the next time we empty is certainly something I will do. Thank you for bringing up the importance of volume.

Steve

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

We have a salinity calculator http://www.koiphen.com/forums/koicalcs.php?do=calcsalt where you use a salt meter/TDS meter and get a base line reading before adding salt, then add salt at about 1 pound per 100 gallons estimated volume. A day or two later, get a second reading for the salt content and using the difference using the calculator, you can get a fairly close estimate of the volume. Because the manufacturers of the formalin/MG mixes state to not use with salt, I would wait until the BSDT series are complete before doing this. The salt can be removed by normal water changes, without having to completely drain the system.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12