• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: 15" Isa Showa Male for semi-serious critique

audioenvy is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

15" Isa Showa Male for semi-serious critique

My real focus was on another fish (15" female Sanke) but the shipping cost for two fish was the same as for one so I had no choice but to buy this little guy as well

I don't have any serious expectations for this fish but felt my pond could use another Showa.

Name:  IMG_9670 (2).jpg
Views: 288
Size:  58.2 KB

Name:  IMG_9684.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  72.6 KB

--Steve

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

OCkoiFan is offline Supporting Member
      is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

Looks male already especially beni and sumi and how it shown in the front half of the koi. The pattern is a bit heavy and strong in front and then scattered smaller patches of beni in the back end which make the Showa seem unbalance. Isa male Showa does growth well and bulk up nice too. The head pattern is cool but i am hoping motoguro to rise later which will help the fish look more ideal. If it has a perfect end half then I guess what are the chance that hobbyists like us can acquire. Enjoy
      M.Nguyen

audioenvy is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by OCkoiFan View Post
      Looks male already especially beni and sumi and how it shown in the front half of the koi. The pattern is a bit heavy and strong in front and then scattered smaller patches of beni in the back end which make the Showa seem unbalance. Isa male Showa does growth well and bulk up nice too. The head pattern is cool but i am hoping motoguro to rise later which will help the fish look more ideal. If it has a perfect end half then I guess what are the chance that hobbyists like us can acquire. Enjoy
      I agree the front half doesn't really match the back and you're right: a perfect fish is outside of my price range at the moment. Next October, who knows, I may be ready to acquire a few higher end fish.

From a newbie perspective, I really love the X on the face and when it is swimming around the X on the dorsal fin really shows up as well.

inazuma28 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I like this fish. If it bulks up it will have a frame to match the beautiful pattern. And once the sumi rises in the rear half I think this koi will look much more congruous throughout. This is, in my opinion, definitely the better of the two. Skin looks good, sumi looks good, shiro looks good, and the beni looks good if not too finished.

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

I'll still take the Sanke over this Showa. What captures a lot of attention is the depth of the sumi on the front half of the fish. When evaluating sumi, you should not look at the sumi that is on top of the red (kasane sumi). this will most always look thick and better than other areas. What needs to be evaluated is the sumi over the shiroji which will allow you to evaluate the quality/depth of the sumi much better to determine quality. The sumi on the back half isn't as developed yet as the front half for these reasons but I think it has some potential to get better as the center of the scales are black as opposed to the outer edges of the scales being black. This shows better quality and future. There are a lot of Showa that don't have motoguro. In competition it is more important that it be there especially if it comes down to just 2-3 fish and one doesn't have it. It will lose to the others as long as the quality of shape and density is appropriate. As this is a male fish, I would proposed that it will finish in the next year or two and then begin to decline, even ever so slightly over the following 2-3 years. Enjoy it and learn what you can, but males can/do develop differently than females.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007