• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Kobayashi Shiro updates

JL41 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Kobayashi Shiro updates

Figured I will post development updates for my Kobayashi Shiro, just as a learning tool. It wasn't an expensive fish, $150 when it was 5" in spring of 2015. Keep in mind that I live in a 4 season climate zone with cold winters so my feeding season is maybe 4 months a year with another 3-4 months of completely no feeding. I don't feed in order to push for growth either so growth of 3-5" per year is typical for me.

I have later read on this forum that for utsuri you can judge whether the sumi is up or down by how much sumi is in the pec fins - if there is a lot of sumi in pec fins then the sumi is up and vice versa. I have no idea whether that information is true or not but so far it turned out to be true for this fish.

Name:  SSC_0124_117Koi.JPG
Views: 199
Size:  143.5 KB
      Name:  SSC_0122_115Koi.JPG
Views: 194
Size:  154.2 KB
      Name:  IMG_9188.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  23.8 KB

4 months later, by September 2015 the fish was 10" but most of the sumi went down.

Name:  5_Sep 2015.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  40.5 KB

By next spring (May 2016) all of the sumi was back up. Actually even more sumi came up later.

Name:  6_May 2-16.jpg
Size:  55.9 KB

By September 2016 the fish was 14" and the sumi was down again. This fish has a real talent for somehow scratching itself!

Name:  8_Sep 2016.jpg
Size:  41.3 KB

And the sumi has stayed that way ever since. The fish is now 17". Though there is some sumi visible under the skin on the body and on the face so I'm hopeful more will come up.

Name:  IMG_8037.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  43.0 KB
      Name:  IMG_8034.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  44.1 KB

I definitely still like the fish. I think it is of nice quality for the price I paid. A bit more sumi would be great. Do you guys think more will come up?

inazuma28 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The body is not bad and the fish still has a lot of developing to do. You did VERY well for $150. The pattern will come in, just be patient. I have a 2015 that is a little over 22'' and he is now almost all white. We are in the same boat. For me, i like waiting for sumi to come up far more than I like waiting for beni to fall apart

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by inazuma28 View Post
      I have a 2015 that is a little over 22'' and he is now almost all white. We are in the same boat.
      Did yours have a lot of sumi in pec fins when you bought it? I'm still trying to figure out if in utsuri you can judge whether sumi is up or down by how much sumi is in pec fins

For me, i like waiting for sumi to come up far more than I like waiting for beni to fall apart
      Very well put!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

No, I bought this one with very little pec sumi. It was just around the pec joint in a tight pattern. At the begining of this year more sumi came up, but no where near a full pattern. Then by the summer he turned white and has been white since. I believe my fish will take at least another 2 years for the sumi to reveal the full pattern, if not more. But im in it for the long haul as the body is nice.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

i dont want to hijack your thread but here is when i bought the fish and the stage when the most sumi was up.
      Attached Images Attached Images   

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

i dont want to hijack your thread but here is when i bought the fish and the stage when the most sumi was up.
      Is this one of Russ'es Kobayashi Shiro from 2015? Definitely seems more massive Do you feed in the winter at all?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This is one of Russell's fish, but it was an Omosako tosai. One of two i purchased that year. The other is beautiful but quite boring. She came to me with a full pattern and stayed exactly as she was, besides growing. When the pond temps go below 55 ill feed maybe once a week until im forced to take my filters offline. Probably in December. Then they undergo a complete fast for 3-4 months depending on how bad the winter is. Outside of this schedule i normally fast them for at least one week when the water is warm. This year it was the last week in August. Im on Long Island NY so im probably very similar to your climate if not a bit milder.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

. When the pond temps go below 55 ill feed maybe once a week until im forced to take my filters offline. Probably in December. Then they undergo a complete fast for 3-4 months depending on how bad the winter is.
      I used to do the exact same thing. Now I keep a small "winter" filtration running all winter long. For me it's just a submersible pump fed Ultima beed filter with blower, returning water below water level. I position all of it, well just the Ultima really, right by the pond so that it stays under the tarp with the rest of the pond. No issues with freezing and gives me a piece of mind. I still don't feed during winter though, maybe 1-2 times a month.