• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Confession - I have a gravel/rock bottom on my pond....

madeyna is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Not big enough for koi but to pretty to redo.
      YADA X 16 proud member of the blabbermouth club Have faith and hope in your self and each other and the world will be yours TINA

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Some have used grates like oven or grill grates to make skimmer mouths harder for fish to get into, but yet have minimal interference with waste that you want to capture. I don't know if the fish that you have getting into the skimmer are large enough to be deterred by the grate or not.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

david pinder is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Cindy you sure UV doesn't kill parasites are at least any floating babes

MitchM is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by MartyDopps View Post
      Here's a picture of the pond, about three weeks after the build. Total volume is maybe 900 gallons. Attachment 575130

It does not have a bottom drain.
      Are you also running an iogen?
      I would recommend removing it if you are. Copper ion generators will kill algae but the nutrients are left behind and other organisms such as cyanobacteria or dinoflagellates will take over.
      The golden colour I see covering the submerged surfaces is an indication that you may be running an iogen.

Copper is fatal to invertebrates and in sufficient quantities, is also harmful to vertebrate creatures.

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

If the flow through the UV is slow enough, it will kill viruses, bacteria, and most of the parasites, if they go through the unit, and the turn over rate of the pond is high enough. When the UV is slowed down to do what you want done, unless it is a monstrous unit, the turn over rate of the pond is infrequent enough that the population grows at least as fast as the kill rate. If you look at the pond volume advertised for a particular UV unit, and the size of an aquarium for the same unit, there is a monstrous difference, and the much smaller volume of an aquarium doesn't see direct sunlight. I suspect that for the aquarium, the flow rate and turn over rate are sufficient to make a major difference in the proliferation of the parasites. Most parasites have very short time frames that they can survive off the host, so they are generally attached to the fish and therefore not subject to the UV bulb.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12