• Tired
  • Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Sad Day for the WWKC and the koiphen forum

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

A Sad Day for the WWKC and the koiphen forum

There's been an announcement posted for a while now about the current meeting of the WWKC membership. This is the most important meeting of the year as it provides nominations from the members after the BOD presents it's slate of candidates for next year's Officers and BOD. Also on the docket of "new business" are three suggested changes to the bylaws which are the backbone of running this organization. The "club" is the group responsible for creating/managing the forum Koiphen which is free to all who are interested worldwide. This has been the longest operating internet club ever established that I am aware of and it counts on the members of the WWKC to keep it running. This doesn't happen on it's own and after going to the meeting and reading the proposals, I find it quite disturbing that, besides myself (a former President, BOD member and mod) that only one other member has posted an opinion or made a suggestion about the bylaw changes. I hope this really isn't a signal that this club is fading off but it sure tells me not many members really seem to care as long as somebody else is running the ship! I urge all of you to participate even if you simply go to the meeting to aid in there being a quorum to pass the bylaw changes or provide comments on what you think of the proposed changes already on the slate.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Just in case you need directions :

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/forumd...ng-of-10-23-17

But I don't think it shows a sad trend... only what is pretty normal for most Clubs I've been a part of. A small
      percentage get involved in the actual running of the Club but, no matter what, it takes everybody's input to make
      it the best!
      Visit the meeting and voting threads even if you have nothing to add... the more that participate, even silently,
      the more it makes us better!
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

audioenvy is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Your post reminded me that I've been meaning to sign up as a member as a way to "pay it forward" for all of the information I've learned (and will continue to learn) as a relatively recent member here. I just signed up--thanks for the reminder.

~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Thanks for helping support Koiphen!
      --Steve

Goki56 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~ WWKC Secretary ~ 2020 KPOTY
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by audioenvy View Post
      Your post reminded me that I've been meaning to sign up as a member as a way to "pay it forward" for all of the information I've learned (and will continue to learn) as a relatively recent member here. I just signed up--thanks for the reminder.
      Steve, thank you so much for your support.
      Gordana

Koiphen 2020 Koi Person of the Year!

audioenvy is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Goki56 View Post
      Steve, thank you so much for your support.
      Honestly, thank you guys. A year ago if you'd have told me I would be able to build my own 5000 gallon pond I would have said no way but (despite still having a ton to learn) I was able to pick up enough information from this forum to build something that has been a total joy. Signing up is a no-brainer investment!

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by audioenvy View Post
      Honestly, thank you guys. A year ago if you'd have told me I would be able to build my own 5000 gallon pond I would have said no way but (despite still having a ton to learn) I was able to pick up enough information from this forum to build something that has been a total joy. Signing up is a no-brainer investment!
      Thanks for joining the glass menajerie!lol To "pay it forward" is what it's all about!
      Mike

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

cindy is offline Administrator
      is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      http://www.wwkcinternetkoishow.com/

Show Schedule
      Here is the schedule of events for the show. Please visit the show site and follow the instructions
      for entering fish in your own personal tank. The show committee will do the rest.

December 1, 2017 - Registration Opens
      December 1, 2017 - Arena Opens
      December 30, 2017 - Registration Closed
      January 10, 2018 - Judging Completed
      January 12, 2018 @ 8:00p EST - Chat Room Opens
      January 13, 2018 @ 8:00p EST - Awards Ceremony in the Chat Room

is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      Just in case you need directions :

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/forumd...ng-of-10-23-17

But I don't think it shows a sad trend... only what is pretty normal for most Clubs I've been a part of. A small
      percentage get involved in the actual running of the Club but, no matter what, it takes everybody's input to make
      it the best!
      Visit the meeting and voting threads even if you have nothing to add... the more that participate, even silently,
      the more it makes us better!

kimini is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This will qualify as "raining on the parade."

I belong to a number of diverse online forums and have seen similar threads, lamenting low traffic/few members/no contributions, and how to improve traffic.

The reality is that the world changes; social media has redefined how users interact with the Web. They're much easier to use on-the-fly and easier to post pictures to, something that's clunky on a traditional forum. Then there's the 800-lb gorilla in the room that no one wants to talk about: that over time, some topics simply become less popular.

Additionally, "cheerleading threads", which have nothing to do with the core material, make a bad situation worse by diluting the reasons people came to the site in the first place. For example, how did you find koiphen? Did you find it by Googling "koi pond", or "what did you do today", "meatloaf recipes", "card exchange", or "answer a question with a question". While I understand the goal, it avoids facing root cause.

Then there's Google itself, which I feel has reduced some website owners to "ad whores." Many sites earn ad revenue, and some owners lose focus on their core topic and end up inventing threads designed to increase income rather than improving content. If my site traffic dropped off, I wouldn't ask why aren't people posting or contributing. Instead, I'd reflect that perhaps my interests are no longer shared with the greater world, that I need to either be happy with less traffic, or move on to something more mainstream. The point is that trying to change human nature isn't going to happen.

The reality is that koi-keeping is very expensive (marginalizing a large percentage of people straight away), takes up valuable yard space (further marginalizing those with no or little yard space), requires maintenance (many don't have the time), and requires some level of mechanical aptitude, which also seems to be diminishing. The reality is that koi-keeping has always been a very small niche activity and no matter how it's coated, is likely to get smaller. The conclusion: be happy with the traffic that continues to come here, as nothing's going to magically increase it. It's neither good nor bad, it simply is.
      Last edited by kimini; 12-09-2018 at 10:21 AM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

T
      his will qualify as "raining on the parade."

I belong to a number of diverse online forums and have seen similar threads, lamenting low traffic/few members/no contributions, and how to improve traffic.

The reality is that the world changes; social media has redefined how users interact with the Web. They're much easier to use on-the-fly and easier to post pictures to, something that's clunky on a traditional forum. Then there's the 800-lb gorilla in the room that no one wants to talk about: that over time, some topics simply become less popular.

Additionally, "cheerleading threads", which have nothing to do with the core material, make a bad situation worse by diluting the reasons people came to the site in the first place. For example, how did you find koiphen? Did you find it by Googling "koi pond", or "what did you do today", "meatloaf recipes", "card exchange", or "answer a question with a question". While I understand the goal, it avoids facing root cause.

Then there's Google itself, which I feel has reduced some website owners to "ad whores." Many sites earn ad revenue, and some owners lose focus on their core topic and end up inventing threads designed to increase income rather than improving content. If my site traffic dropped off, I wouldn't ask why aren't people aren't posting or contributing. Instead, I'd reflect that perhaps my interests are no longer shared with the greater world, that I need to either be happy with less traffic, or move on to something more mainstream. The point is that trying to change human nature isn't going to happen.

The reality is that koi-keeping is very expensive (marginalizing a large percentage of people straight away), takes up valuable yard space (further marginalizing those with no or little yard space), requires maintenance (many don't have the time), and requires some level of mechanical aptitude, which also seems to be diminishing. The reality is that koi-keeping has always been a very small niche activity and no matter how it's coated, is likely to get smaller. The conclusion: be happy with the traffic that continues to come here, as nothing's going to magically increase it. It's neither good nor bad, it simply is

Not raining on my parade.

I'm an adm. on an only koi information thread on FB KKoNA It is quick to post and easier but it's usually one or 2 hot topics.

We have a wonderful koi board here. Main for any koi topic, you can chose the ones you want to read.

Our ER is hands down the best and the fact that Koi Organisation International has joined with only us for scholarships and linking to our site for koi emergencies is proof.

Yes, we do cards and angel trees. We have become more than friends here, we are family. I use the recipes and crafts alot and its in a special section so it doesn't affect the koi information.

We post links to shows and club activities and vendors in separate sections.

We started including goldfish, mudponds, turtles, breeders and some more because people asked.

When you need to vent, the members section is available for off topic that can get heated.

Games? Another thing members requested, separate from koi.

The online koi show, I'm chairing and sharing with KKona, hoping its the best show ever. Open to goldfish and wonderful for anybody that has fish and wants to compete without pulling them out of the pond. Just pictures.

If we start threads ever so often that looks like we are tooting our horn, its because we have great members and an incredible board.

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

I think you're missing the point of this thread. I'm not referring to how many forum members post or join, it's the ones who use this site for free and don't feel any type of want to support the organization that hosts the forum on line. That is the World Wide Koi Club. It was found I believe back in 2004 in the koi hobby haydays. It has remained quite strong through many ups and downs within the hobby. Local clubs which were plentiful back in the late '90s early '00s in many cases have sort of disappeared or disbanded over the years for lack of member support. Even though the membership may show a strong support on paper, it isn't there in person and when it comes to the operation of the club. As I have spent many years in membership between three different clubs, holding offices including President and chairing 6 koi shows, I think I have a pretty good idea of what I currently see and it saddens me that most want all the benefits but don't want to put any effort into receiving them. Of course, if you're not a member of the WWKC, I guess that puts you in the majority within the last sentence above. Audioenvy just became a prime example of what I hope many would do once they come here and get the advice on how to DIY their own ponds and are successful - join the club. It's the cheapest investment you could make over what you spend building your pond!
      Mike

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

great post mike. that clears things up. i was kinda missing the point

pnsych is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I must admit, I was ashamed with myself when I read Mike's initial post. I realized I have been learning from and enjoying this Forum since 2011. And yet have never signed up and paid any dues during all of those years. I also belong to a local beekeeping association and have gladly paid my annual dues without a second thought. And here I log onto this forum almost every night and it has been a one way street with me enjoying and learning from so many of you and never thought to give back in any way of monetary support. I signed up last night and feel it is the best $29.00 I have ever invested. Thank you to all those that volunteer their time with their only reward being able to help so many of us beginners. I will vote on the three issues before us and strive to be a better member.

Goki56 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~ WWKC Secretary ~ 2020 KPOTY
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by pnsych View Post
      I must admit, I was ashamed with myself when I read Mike's initial post. I realized I have been learning from and enjoying this Forum since 2011. And yet have never signed up and paid any dues during all of those years. I also belong to a local beekeeping association and have gladly paid my annual dues without a second thought. And here I log onto this forum almost every night and it has been a one way street with me enjoying and learning from so many of you and never thought to give back in any way of monetary support. I signed up last night and feel it is the best $29.00 I have ever invested. Thank you to all those that volunteer their time with their only reward being able to help so many of us beginners. I will vote on the three issues before us and strive to be a better member.

pnsych, thank you so much for your support.
      Gordana

Koiphen 2020 Koi Person of the Year!

~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

I know this thread wasn't written for this purpose but since it came up I thought I'd share...

Quote Originally Posted by kimini View Post
      The conclusion: be happy with the traffic that continues to come here, as nothing's going to magically increase it. It's neither good nor bad, it simply is.
      I'd have to go back and look as I'm sure the numbers have dropped from years past for the reasons you've stated,
      but compare some of this years numbers to the like of thepondforum.com, koi-bito.com, gardenpondforum.com, etc...

2017 Unique Visitors so far: 1.79 million
      2017 Pages Displayed so far: 52.3 million
      2017 Hits so far: 102.2 million

I finished my ponds years ago and although not all stay beyond that... clearly many do. I think it's more about those
      "cheerleading threads" which "dilute the reasons people came to the site in the first place" that keep many of us here
      and contributing. Some other forums named above that were forces in their day weren't so lucky.

--Steve

~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Yes, Thank you for your support!
      Paying it forward with info you've learned with other new pond builders is much of what it's all about.
      --Steve

gray cat is offline Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring

Feeling:
      Happy

pnsych, thank you very much for your support.
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

With all that's been going on in your neighborhoods up there, thanks for taking the time and making to decision to help others out when many in your area are now without a hom! Prayers and best wishes for as speedy a recovery as possible to all those effected in the wildfires.

Again, thank you for your support as belated as you may think it is, it's never too late.
      Mike

kntry is offline 2017 KPOTY
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I tried on both links and it says I do not have sufficient privileges to open that link.
      Sandy
      CKK, KHA

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast