Man you’re lucky just like the freestyle catfish no ob li gaz cion

Take a look at my schedule this morning
      7am Sprays the seive and feed the fish
      7:15 wake up the boys make sure they brushes teeth
      7:25 get them changes for school
      7:30 make breakfast for them
      By 8am I gotta drive off to work and hope that the day go smooth
      So I can at least feed my herd another meal

Seaside’s Tom also has the similar schedule...
      haha. my schedule

5:30 wake up for work. eat blah blah blah.
      6:10 leave to work
      7-7:30 get to my work yard after driving only 20 miles.
      8-8:30 actually get to the job after driving in more traffic.
      3 head home
      4:30ish finally get home to feed dog and fishy

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
      once you feel or heard something is right it sticks on your head. we/me included seem to be stubborn at first about things and want people to say what we are doing is great. that is very friendly but doesn't improve our koi keeping skills to me.
      This seems to be some what of a "sore subject" with some who expect to post a pond construction or "judge my koi" thread and expect it to be all warm and fuzzy. Sorry, but IMHO, that won't get you a cup of tea in China! If you want to truly learn, then post and expect real/honest feedback. I will admit that I have gotten on Kevin's case a few times for the reason he stated above. I will admit I've lost some of the "warm and fuzzy" feeling about posting something for the 30th or so time over the last 12 years (yes I actually joined back in 2005), yet between several of us "old timers" here, we continue to do it for the sole reason of giving back to a hobby that has given us so much enjoyment over the years. And,yes, we too continue to learn, especially in regard to new products that continually roll out to provide better/improved filtration with less effort on our part.

As to feeling afraid to post something for fear of reprisal, I don't remember anyone who actually was chastised or worse for posting an honest question, UNLESS, after they received feedback on the question, then wanted to disagree or argue with the responses given. If you already knew the answer, why did you ask in the first place is my feeling/response! If you think you can get better info somewhere else, well, go for it!

As to "getting something more from your dues" well, the education you receive here is worth a hell of a lot more than $29. Just ask the members of Grant Fujita's study group!
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      This seems to be some what of a "sore subject" with some who expect to post a pond construction or "judge my koi" thread and expect it to be all warm and fuzzy. Sorry, but IMHO, that won't get you a cup of tea in China! If you want to truly learn, then post and expect real/honest feedback. I will admit that I have gotten on Kevin's case a few times for the reason he stated above. I will admit I've lost some of the "warm and fuzzy" feeling about posting something for the 30th or so time over the last 12 years (yes I actually joined back in 2005), yet between several of us "old timers" here, we continue to do it for the sole reason of giving back to a hobby that has given us so much enjoyment over the years. And,yes, we too continue to learn, especially in regard to new products that continually roll out to provide better/improved filtration with less effort on our part.

As to feeling afraid to post something for fear of reprisal, I don't remember anyone who actually was chastised or worse for posting an honest question, UNLESS, after they received feedback on the question, then wanted to disagree or argue with the responses given. If you already knew the answer, why did you ask in the first place is my feeling/response! If you think you can get better info somewhere else, well, go for it!

As to "getting something more from your dues" well, the education you receive here is worth a hell of a lot more than $29. Just ask the members of Grant Fujita's study group!
      well said. we have and still will have our disagreements or life would be to boring. I've actually enjoyed many of our conversations particularly in person and off the board lol. my brother enjoyed meeting you as well. you have a somewhat blunt personality sometimes and so do I. either way to some it might seems as I can't stand you or maybe vice versa lol. I don't think that is the case though and hope you feel the same way.

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Well, many are different when met in person. the internet personna seems to allow a bit of different behavior for whatever reason. But, the name calling incident really needs to stop, okay?!?
      Mike

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Well, many are different when met in person. the internet personna seems to allow a bit of different behavior for whatever reason. But, the name calling incident really needs to stop, okay?!?
      yeah I agree. I was out of line there and my apology. little tipsy that night and was uncalled for to say the least
      Last edited by kevin32; 11-08-2017 at 07:49 PM.

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

'nuf said !
      Mike

Doman71 is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I don't recall who or if anyone made comments about wanting more for the $29 dues, but wanted to make clear that I thought that it was chump change. I did however suggested that we find a way to add value to being a member(even if it means an increase in fees).

I do hope to meet other members in person some day, and didn't want to be misunderstood as being some cheap ***. Disregard if I wasn't being referenced.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Doman71 View Post
      I don't recall who or if anyone made comments about wanting more for the $29 dues, but wanted to make clear that I thought that it was chump change. I did however suggested that we find a way to add value to being a member(even if it means an increase in fees).

I do hope to meet other members in person some day, and didn't want to be misunderstood as being some cheap ***. Disregard if I wasn't being referenced.
      i do like your quote where you said you thought you read where a member said new members should just read and not post at first is correct. this is probably the most intimidating thing anyone could say and adds to why many don't post.

i also don't see why this is a sad day for wwkc personally
      Last edited by kevin32; 11-08-2017 at 11:29 PM.

OCkoiFan is offline Supporting Member
      is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

i took the back and front of the gentleman who wore this shirt on last Gardena koi show
      sorry i will not reveal until he approve me
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      M.Nguyen

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by OCkoiFan View Post
      i took the back and front of the gentleman who wore this shirt on last Gardena koi show
      is that you? just kidding bro

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by OCkoiFan View Post
      It was merely for reference of what others charge for information, whether good, relative or a waste of time. That opinion is up to the receiver, not the giver. But, I know a few of the members and they swear the info they get from that group's teacher is well worth what he charges for it.
      Mike

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

There's been an announcement posted for a while now about the current meeting of the WWKC membership. This is the most important meeting of the year as it provides nominations from the members after the BOD presents it's slate of candidates for next year's Officers and BOD. Also on the docket of "new business" are three suggested changes to the bylaws which are the backbone of running this organization. The "club" is the group responsible for creating/managing the forum Koiphen which is free to all who are interested worldwide. This has been the longest operating internet club ever established that I am aware of and it counts on the members of the WWKC to keep it running. This doesn't happen on it's own and after going to the meeting and reading the proposals, I find it quite disturbing that, besides myself (a former President, BOD member and mod) that only one other member has posted an opinion or made a suggestion about the bylaw changes. I hope this really isn't a signal that this club is fading off but it sure tells me not many members really seem to care as long as somebody else is running the ship! I urge all of you to participate even if you simply go to the meeting to aid in there being a quorum to pass the bylaw changes or provide comments on what you think of the proposed changes already on the slate.
      Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
      i do like your quote where you said you thought you read where a member said new members should just read and not post at first is correct. this is probably the most intimidating thing anyone could say and adds to why many don't post.

i also don't see why this is a sad day for wwkc personally
      I reposted my original statement of "why" for you to re-read, just to make the original reason easier to find. I guess it was effective as according to icu2/Steve, the turnout was really good. I wonder what happened to the business of the Boards recommended slate of candidates for office went to!?!
      Mike

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

I reposted my original statement of "why" for you to re-read, just to make the original reason easier to find. I guess it was effective as according to icu2/Steve, the turnout was really good.
      Not sure if the turnout was due to the thread or the 60+ pm's sent out ... but no matter.

I wonder what happened to the business of the Boards recommended slate of candidates for office went to!?!
      I'm not sure I understood this question but the slate of candidates has been chosen and will be announced in the next week or so at the
      Nov. Election Meeting.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Thanks Steve. Getting ahead of myself there on the slate of candidates. Hope the turnout is as good as this last one. I just hope folks don't just "mail it in" on the votes and give their "yay or nay" some thought.
      Mike

DarleneD is offline Supporting Member
      is crocheting

Feeling:
      Meh

I don't think the $dues is chump change. I live on a very small fixed income, and for instance this past month I almost ran out of food ... I had pb&j and 2 potatoes, period. And I was way overdrawn in my checking account. But I will still pay the dues as long as I can, even though I no longer have a pond or my sweet goldfish. That might sound dumb to people, but I've been here for a long time, and it feels like home.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by DarleneD View Post
      I don't think the $dues is chump change. I live on a very small fixed income, and for instance this past month I almost ran out of food ... I had pb&j and 2 potatoes, period. And I was way overdrawn in my checking account. But I will still pay the dues as long as I can, even though I no longer have a pond or my sweet goldfish. That might sound dumb to people, but I've been here for a long time, and it feels like home.
      You are correct... very few things in life is absolute, where as most are relative. I apologize if I offended anyone with this statement as I was thinking of the cost of the membership dues versus the cost of koi, koi food, equipment, maintenance, and utilities. But if I may ask, what other benefits are available to paid members such as yourself, to continue paying the dues? besides "paying it forward". This is not a personal question, but to further understand what I may be missing out on as a member.

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Why not tell US what YOU expect to get for your buck other than maybe a free T-shirt!?! If the knowledge you gain from koiphen forum isn't enough, then I don't know what more you want. The dues to be a member of the WWKC helps go to pay for all forum costs, including maintenance and on-line fees, etc. Without the "club" there is NO KOIPHEN, thus you and everyone who comes here to learn about all things "koi" will have to look elsewhere. Believe me, YouTube and such is not where you want to go for koi education. Most of it pertains to water gardens and sharpsters who try to prey on unsuspecting people who want to get into the hobby but don't yet know how. There are snake oil salesman and then there are KOI snake oil salesman. As I'm sure you can see, Darlene is a real hardship case yet has been a member of the "club" for many years. Even though she no longer has a pond or fish even, she "gets it". Everyone these days seems to be looking for the "what's in it for me", or "it's free and I don't HAVE TO JOIN" attitude. It's normal human nature anymore I guess. Like someone already posted, they spent more for lunch for 2 people ONCE than the $29 annual dues. Sad most don't get the economic value of things anymore.
      Mike

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Why not tell US what YOU expect to get for your buck other than maybe a free T-shirt!?! If the knowledge you gain from koiphen forum isn't enough, then I don't know what more you want. The dues to be a member of the WWKC helps go to pay for all forum costs, including maintenance and on-line fees, etc. Without the "club" there is NO KOIPHEN, thus you and everyone who comes here to learn about all things "koi" will have to look elsewhere. Believe me, YouTube and such is not where you want to go for koi education. Most of it pertains to water gardens and sharpsters who try to prey on unsuspecting people who want to get into the hobby but don't yet know how. There are snake oil salesman and then there are KOI snake oil salesman. As I'm sure you can see, Darlene is a real hardship case yet has been a member of the "club" for many years. Even though she no longer has a pond or fish even, she "gets it". Everyone these days seems to be looking for the "what's in it for me", or "it's free and I don't HAVE TO JOIN" attitude. It's normal human nature anymore I guess. Like someone already posted, they spent more for lunch for 2 people ONCE than the $29 annual dues. Sad most don't get the economic value of things anymore.
      yeah for me it is a no brainer. I just dropped $30 on lunch and $40 for dinner yesterday. no more of that though. without member support best case we would have stupid pop up banners and what not to keep the $ coming in I guess.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I think there is a misunderstanding here. Please go back and read my posts, because I already stated that I'm ok with the membership dues(even if it was more). As for the t-shirt comment, it was just an idea randomly thrown out to increase pride of being a member, not suggesting that one is owed from the dues. In my mind, I would rock a Koiphen t-shirt with pride as I browse the koi shows.

As for the question for Darlene, it was an honest question. I know she understands the value of being a member, therefore was asking to see from her perspective so that I also see that value.

In the end, I understand the need for friends to defend each other, so I'll be the bad guy here and just leave.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Doman71 View Post
      I think there is a misunderstanding here. Please go back and read my posts, because I already stated that I'm ok with the membership dues(even if it was more). As for the t-shirt comment, it was just an idea randomly thrown out to increase pride of being a member, not suggesting that one is owed from the dues. In my mind, I would rock a Koiphen t-shirt with pride as I browse the koi shows.

As for the question for Darlene, it was an honest question. I know she understands the value of being a member, therefore was asking to see from her perspective so that I also see that value.

In the end, I understand the need for friends to defend each other, so I'll be the bad guy here and just leave.
      all good and you were just asking. we don't want everyone afraid to ask questions here. you aren't the bad guy at all.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast