• Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does goldfish have carp pox?

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
      Never heard of a goldfish jump from a pond either, have heard it happen in tanks many times. Not the same. And you would have less evaporation with a lid on the tank. It looks about 10-15% depleted which should not happen at any time. Anyway good luck with your setup. You've been given sound advice by other members.
      i have a lid on my tru vu and my evaporation is very minimal. i just use my 55 gallon for some tetras and others small fish. any way great advice and that's all you can do sometimes is try to help

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Mot23 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by CarpCharacin View Post
      I thought that I already explained why the koi is in there, it was too small to go into my 1500 gallon pond when I got it, and I'm hesitant to move it now, because it's starting to get colder outside. Two of the 4 goldfish in that tank are very small, and I'll be able to move the other two goldfish into another 40 gallon tank soon. WTH does it mean for a tank to be "filled properly"? I fill up the tank to the top when I do a water change, but some of the water evaporates. I don't have a lid on my koi pond, and I've never had a fish jump out.
      I noticed a few people saying that it is overstocked. I am just wondering, is 10gallon per fancy goldfish no longer the rule of thumb?

It doesn't hurts to improve filtration but honestly since all the fish looks small, a 40 gallon with clean water parameters should be fine, I imagine....

Sent from my LG-H950 using Tapatalk

mjfromga is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Mot23 View Post
      I noticed a few people saying that it is overstocked. I am just wondering, is 10gallon per fancy goldfish no longer the rule of thumb?

It doesn't hurts to improve filtration but honestly since all the fish looks small, a 40 gallon with clean water parameters should be fine, I imagine....

Sent from my LG-H950 using Tapatalk
      No. You want 20 gallons per fancy goldfish. And you don't want a Koi in there at all. It is not overstocked. It is BADLY overstocked. With the poor filtration and the water level not being where it should be, it's even worse.. And if his parameters were fine, his fish wouldn't have blotchy slime coat issues and the tank wouldn't look that way. That was the point they were making.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
      i have a lid on my tru vu and my evaporation is very minimal. i just use my 55 gallon for some tetras and others small fish. any way great advice and that's all you can do sometimes is try to help
      Yup. With a lid you'd be surprised at how little evaporation you get. It would definitely never look anything like this unless you ignored it for a month or more and it was quite warm where the tank was.

CarpCharacin is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Meh

I did a large water change yesterday and cleaned the filter. I'm going to move the two smaller goldfish into another 40 gallon tank soon.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Meh

After the water change, I added a second AquaClear filter and the fish are looking better. I just need to finish my 75 gallon tank stand, and I can move the fish that are in my other 40 gallon into the 75, and then I will move two of the goldfish into the 40.
      James

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Meh

Now I'm kind of worried, I think the orange lionhead might have a small notch on his nose, and the two lionheads still have few slime blotches on their heads. The water quality is fine, I just did a water change. Do you think it might be costia?
      James

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I think from your description of the situation, it is a high probability. The only way to know for sure is to scrape and scope. If costia, then treat 3 times with Proform C.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Meh

I don't have a microscope, but I'm planning on getting one. What's a good one that isn't too expensive? Only the two fish in the tank have the white slime blotches, the other two goldfish look fine. But I'm worried because I used to have a koi in the tank which I introduced into my pond. He didn't have any slime blotches, or a notch in his nose, but I worry that I might have introduced a sick fish into my pond. He's acting fine, though. If the two lionheads did have it, would the koi that I introduced into my pond have it too?
      James

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Here is a good microscope that has all of the necessary parts. http://www.amscope.com/40x-800x-stud...ech-stage.html .
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Meh

I got the microscope, but I haven't set it up yet, but most of the white spots have gone away on those fish, but I have another lionhead in another tank with some white spots on it's fins. Could it be carp pox? I just worry, since that fish was once in a tank with some fish that are in my pond now. It definitely isn't ich, they look more like larger, slime spots. The water quality is fine, I just did a water change on their tank a few days ago.
      James

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by CarpCharacin View Post
      I got the microscope, but I haven't set it up yet, but most of the white spots have gone away on those fish, but I have another lionhead in another tank with some white spots on it's fins. Could it be carp pox? I just worry, since that fish was once in a tank with some fish that are in my pond now. It definitely isn't ich, they look more like larger, slime spots. The water quality is fine, I just did a water change on their tank a few days ago.
      Post #4:

Quote Originally Posted by kdh View Post
      goldfish can not get carp pox from koi (Cyhv-1).
      Not much to setting up most microscopes besides taking it out of the box.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Meh

I know they can't get carp pox from koi, but I thought they could get carp pox from other goldfish, and it was once in a tank with goldfish that are now in my pond, so I guess that I just worry that my pond fish have been exposed to the virus, and although my pond fish have showed no symptoms, the pond has stayed pretty warm. How do I know if it's carp pox?
      James

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Lol... And again... It isn't carp pox. And even if it were, which it isn't, there is NO cure for carp pox.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12