• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SO how many heaters do I need guys!

bigskyfarm is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by nmtsaki View Post
      I have a 2000 gallon pond that is covered, with a solar pool cover, and used (2) 1500 watt buckets heaters, 1 at the skimmer intake and one hanging over the waterfall. My pond is longer than wide, so it's a straight type of flow. Water stays at about 55 to 60įF. There are several holes in my cover at the base from the rats who like to live in Florida, I just keep these patched as best as I can. A little bit of air flow is actually pretty good because you don't really want to have totally stale air. You can get a timer so that the heaters are only on during the night time when the sun isn't out, and that could save some power. A solar pool cover really holds in the heat; I usually only run my heaters two months out of the year, January and February.
      Can you tell me a little more about what type heaters you are using ? I have a 3200 gallon pond in GA, I have never heated but would like to heat this year in the coldest months. I intend to get a solar blanket as well. I am new at this... so pardon ignorant questions

kevin32 is online now Senior Member
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by bigskyfarm View Post
      Can you tell me a little more about what type heaters you are using ? I have a 3200 gallon pond in GA, I have never heated but would like to heat this year in the coldest months. I intend to get a solar blanket as well. I am new at this... so pardon ignorant questions
      they are just water bucket heaters that you can get at home depot. it is best to use a digital controller with them so you can set the desired temp

audioenvy is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

i'd be curious if anyone has done any metrics on the benefit of a single bucket heater. What does the 1500 watts get you? If there's a tangible benefit I'm willing to pay--but if it's an immeasurable difference then it would essentially just be throwing money away.

Essex Koi is offline Member
      is In winter mode

Feeling:
      Cool

The consensus in the U.K. is 1000 watts per 1000 Gallons for heating a pond. Is it different in the USA? outside temperature right now here is 43 f and the pond is at 73 f and Iím currently feeding at summer levels.

Pond is just over 3,000 gallons and Iím using an in-line 3 KW heater, which will maintain 80 f with the cover on.

I also have a 100 gallon hospital tank that has a 300 watt aquarium heater, that maintains 75 f in the garage with no cover.
      Last edited by Essex Koi; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:04 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That's good data. I had not ever heard that rule of thumb.

kevin32 is online now Senior Member
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Essex Koi View Post
      The consensus in the U.K. is 1000 watts per 1000 Gallons for heating a pond. Is it different in the USA? outside temperature right now here is 43 f and the pond is at 73 f and I’m currently feeding at summer levels.

Pond is just over 3,000 gallons and I’m using an in-line 3 KW heater, which will maintain 80 f with the cover on.

I also have a 100 gallon hospital tank that has a 300 watt aquarium heater, that maintains 75 f in the garage with no cover.
      the tanks are way less efficient. i had 2 300watt on my 300 gallon and they ran alot to maintain 68 degree for my tosai

Pond,James_Pond is offline Senior Member
      is Let 'em eat Manda Foo!

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by audioenvy View Post
      i'd be curious if anyone has done any metrics on the benefit of a single bucket heater. What does the 1500 watts get you? If there's a tangible benefit I'm willing to pay--but if it's an immeasurable difference then it would essentially just be throwing money away.
      I kept accurate time and temp data for several years. A single 1500 stock tank heater either sitting in the cetus weir trough or hanging in the skimmer pipe added about 6-8 degrees to my 3400 gallon pond. It was especially effective for an early spring warm up and a late fall delay in the cooling down.

steve

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Pond,James_Pond View Post
      I kept accurate time and temp data for several years. A single 1500 stock tank heater either sitting in the cetus weir trough or hanging in the skimmer pipe added about 6-8 degrees to my 3400 gallon pond. It was especially effective for an early spring warm up and a late fall delay in the cooling down.
      Wow, that's a lot more than I would have guessed!

hp is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Pond,James_Pond View Post

steve
      Steve,
      This seems like a great idea to delay the cooling down and early start for spring. heating the whole long winter may be too costly for me.

What parameters that you look at and decide when to start and stop heating? Is there a target temperature that you want to maintain (and once you can't maintain at that temp then you stop)?

Thanks,
      hp.

Pond,James_Pond is offline Senior Member
      is Let 'em eat Manda Foo!

Feeling:
      Friendly

For the most part, you're spot on, hp. I take into account the weather forecast and pond temp. The pond heater can be dropped in as soon as you like in the fall just to prolong the 60's. If/when it gets real cold (freezing temps) in the winter it doesn't make any sense to try and add warmth so I use that as a trigger when to pull the heater. But later in the winter if we have a really cold snap (twenties or lower) and the pond gets below 40 I'll drop a trough heater down to the bottom for the fish to huddle around.

Then in the spring around March I start to warm 'em up, trying to get the pond through the high forties / low fifties quicker so they get hungry and start to react to food. I think that helps them jump start their immune systems.

steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12