• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My cheap and easy winter cover...

audioenvy is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by KoiRun View Post
      Nice clear images. I'm glad it's working out for you. Planning on turning off the aeration for the winter in order to see clearer? Oh 'subribed on YT, keep up the good work!
      Thanks! Assuming the water temps stay in the 40s or higher I'll keep the aeration on. I have a little remote control I can use that turns off the air when I want the water surface to be more clear without me needing to go outside and brave the cold LOL.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The thing about putting the winter pond cover up in October is that on the one hand I won't have to worry about leaves but on the other hand the water temp is now higher (currently 63 degrees F even though the nighttime air temps are in the mid 30s) than it has been in over a month so the fish are pretty active. With fish this active it would be nice to be able to sit out on the bench and watch them rather than via security cam footage!

RichToyBox is online now Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I always used my maple tree as my calendar for installing and removing the cover from my ponds. When the first leaf fell in the fall, it was time to put the cover on to keep the rest of the leaves out of the pond. The cover didn't come down until the maple seed helicopters stopped flying in the spring. Made pond maintenance much easier. I also had the side of the cover high enough and back far enough from the edge of the pond to have a chair pondside, under the cover for feeding and viewing.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      I always used my maple tree as my calendar for installing and removing the cover from my ponds. When the first leaf fell in the fall, it was time to put the cover on to keep the rest of the leaves out of the pond. The cover didn't come down until the maple seed helicopters stopped flying in the spring. Made pond maintenance much easier. I also had the side of the cover high enough and back far enough from the edge of the pond to have a chair pondside, under the cover for feeding and viewing.
      Good idea on the chair! I can climb in but it's not quite so easy LOL.

kevin32 is online now Senior Member
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Awesome

Apple can't take the heat i guess it is time for an Android j/k. very nice setup and for a new pond the water has stayed really nice it seems??

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
      Apple can't take the heat i guess it is time for an Android j/k. very nice setup and for a new pond the water has stayed really nice it seems??
      Considering I'm still waiting on my ZacoDraco I'm really happy with the water. I'm having to feed lightly but it's that time of year anyway I guess. The fish do seem active. I wish they weren't so darn nervous when eating though. I'm assuming this will go away after a while.

kevin32 is online now Senior Member
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Awesome

it seems weird. but I put my finger under the water then feed my koi sometimes. they seem less afraid this way. i started hand feeding less food also.

hp is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

What aerator do you use there? look very strong.

hp.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by haivph View Post
      What aerator do you use there? look very strong.
      Haha, I've researched the various and sometimes contradictory threads about how much aeration is good and if it's possible to have too much. The angle of the KoiKam makes it seem like there's only one BD/aerator but there are actually two. I have a separate Danner 2900 cu/min (47 lpm) pump tied to each bottom drain. I tried using a single pump with a tee but presumably due to the 6.5' depth it wasn't strong enough, so now I have two which I can turn on and off separately via remote control. Seems like there's definitely plenty of air when both are running, LOL. I'll leave it for now but may play around with poking a few pinholes in the tubing if I feel like it's too strong.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by audioenvy View Post
      Haha, I've researched the various and sometimes contradictory threads about how much aeration is good and if it's possible to have too much. The angle of the KoiKam makes it seem like there's only one BD/aerator but there are actually two. I have a separate Danner 2900 cu/min (47 lpm) pump tied to each bottom drain. I tried using a single pump with a tee but presumably due to the 6.5' depth it wasn't strong enough, so now I have two which I can turn on and off separately via remote control. Seems like there's definitely plenty of air when both are running, LOL. I'll leave it for now but may play around with poking a few pinholes in the tubing if I feel like it's too strong.
      I see. I do see two aerators btw. I am buying the Aquascape Pond Aerator Pro 61000 which is rated for 2.1cf/min so hopefully that will be enough for my 4Kgallon pond. Remote control seems like a good idea, make it easy to turn it on/off. can you share which one are you using?

Thanks,
      hp.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by haivph View Post
      I see. I do see two aerators btw. I am buying the Aquascape Pond Aerator Pro 61000 which is rated for 2.1cf/min so hopefully that will be enough for my 4Kgallon pond. Remote control seems like a good idea, make it easy to turn it on/off. can you share which one are you using?
      If my math is correct that's 60lph so unless your pond is quite deep like mine that should be enough.

This is the remote controller I'm using although I'm sure there are many others. I just found I could not use it for anything that draws significant current. Specifically, it will damage the remote control plug if you try to use it for something like a water pump.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      Last edited by audioenvy; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:41 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by audioenvy View Post
      If my math is correct that's 60lph so unless your pond is quite deep like mine that should be enough.

This is the remote controller I'm using although I'm sure there are many others. I just found I could not use it for anything that draws significant current. Specifically, it will damage the remote control plug if you try to use it for something like a water pump.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      Great, thanks!

my pond is only ~4ft deep at the BD so , I think that will be enough.

hp.

davidjensen is offline Senior Member
      is needing more Koi

Feeling:
      Amused

This took about 3 hours to complete. This is the first time I have set up a lean to over the pond. It will be interesting to see if it can withstand a good winter storm and how much it will affect the water temp.
      Attached Images Attached Images   
      Need more Koi

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by davidjensen View Post
      This took about 3 hours to complete. This is the first time I have set up a lean to over the pond. It will be interesting to see if it can withstand a good winter storm and how much it will affect the water temp.
      It looks like you have enough tree protection that wind won't be a huge issue. What are the pond dimensions?

is needing more Koi

Feeling:
      Amused

Max 8’ wide, 16’ long, max 54” deep, 2450 gallons in the pond and 400 more in filtration and the water falls.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by davidjensen; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:55 PM.
      Need more Koi

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I would recommend these https://www.lowes.com/pd/ZipWall-2-P...er-Kit/4748551 so that you will be able to open the cover and see the fish during the winter.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

is needing more Koi

Feeling:
      Amused

Thanks for the tip. I’ll be getting that tomorrow.
      Need more Koi

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      I would recommend these https://www.lowes.com/pd/ZipWall-2-P...er-Kit/4748551 so that you will be able to open the cover and see the fish during the winter.
      I've looked at those but worried about the adhesive. Have you used this specific brand/model?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Yes. Last winter I used that brand. The years before I used one from HD, but found these to have a wider and better adhesive area. I use to have to use an office stapler to attach the ones from HD when they would turn loose. Not needed for these, but only one year.

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      is ready for winter

Feeling:
      Shy

Quote Originally Posted by davidjensen View Post
      Max 8’ wide, 16’ long, max 54” deep, 2450 gallons in the pond and 400 more in filtration and the water falls.
      Looking good David. Fish must be wondering what's going on? That Yami is huge; gonna need a bigger net next year.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast