• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Results 21 to 40 of 69

    Thread: My cheap and easy winter cover...

    1. #21
      audioenvy's Avatar
      audioenvy is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      Utah
      Posts
      281
      Quote Originally Posted by KoiRun View Post
      Nice clear images. I'm glad it's working out for you. Planning on turning off the aeration for the winter in order to see clearer? Oh 'subribed on YT, keep up the good work!
      Thanks! Assuming the water temps stay in the 40s or higher I'll keep the aeration on. I have a little remote control I can use that turns off the air when I want the water surface to be more clear without me needing to go outside and brave the cold LOL.

    2. #22
      audioenvy's Avatar
      audioenvy is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      Utah
      Posts
      281
      The thing about putting the winter pond cover up in October is that on the one hand I won't have to worry about leaves but on the other hand the water temp is now higher (currently 63 degrees F even though the nighttime air temps are in the mid 30s) than it has been in over a month so the fish are pretty active. With fish this active it would be nice to be able to sit out on the bench and watch them rather than via security cam footage!

    3. #23
      RichToyBox's Avatar
      RichToyBox is online now Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      Awesome
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2005
      Location
      Sandston, VA
      Posts
      12,524
      I always used my maple tree as my calendar for installing and removing the cover from my ponds. When the first leaf fell in the fall, it was time to put the cover on to keep the rest of the leaves out of the pond. The cover didn't come down until the maple seed helicopters stopped flying in the spring. Made pond maintenance much easier. I also had the side of the cover high enough and back far enough from the edge of the pond to have a chair pondside, under the cover for feeding and viewing.

      "Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

    4. #24
      audioenvy's Avatar
      audioenvy is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      Utah
      Posts
      281
      Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      I always used my maple tree as my calendar for installing and removing the cover from my ponds. When the first leaf fell in the fall, it was time to put the cover on to keep the rest of the leaves out of the pond. The cover didn't come down until the maple seed helicopters stopped flying in the spring. Made pond maintenance much easier. I also had the side of the cover high enough and back far enough from the edge of the pond to have a chair pondside, under the cover for feeding and viewing.
      Good idea on the chair! I can climb in but it's not quite so easy LOL.

    5. #25
      kevin32's Avatar
      kevin32 is online now Senior Member
      is chillin
       
      Feeling:
      Awesome
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2014
      Location
      brentwood ca. up north
      Posts
      4,357
      Apple can't take the heat i guess it is time for an Android j/k. very nice setup and for a new pond the water has stayed really nice it seems??

    6. #26
      audioenvy's Avatar
      audioenvy is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      Utah
      Posts
      281
      Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
      Apple can't take the heat i guess it is time for an Android j/k. very nice setup and for a new pond the water has stayed really nice it seems??
      Considering I'm still waiting on my ZacoDraco I'm really happy with the water. I'm having to feed lightly but it's that time of year anyway I guess. The fish do seem active. I wish they weren't so darn nervous when eating though. I'm assuming this will go away after a while.


    7. #27
      kevin32's Avatar
      kevin32 is online now Senior Member
      is chillin
       
      Feeling:
      Awesome
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2014
      Location
      brentwood ca. up north
      Posts
      4,357
      it seems weird. but I put my finger under the water then feed my koi sometimes. they seem less afraid this way. i started hand feeding less food also.

    8. #28
      hp is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Nov 2016
      Location
      Seattle, WA
      Posts
      109
      What aerator do you use there? look very strong.

      hp.

    9. #29
      audioenvy's Avatar
      audioenvy is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      Utah
      Posts
      281
      Quote Originally Posted by haivph View Post
      What aerator do you use there? look very strong.
      Haha, I've researched the various and sometimes contradictory threads about how much aeration is good and if it's possible to have too much. The angle of the KoiKam makes it seem like there's only one BD/aerator but there are actually two. I have a separate Danner 2900 cu/min (47 lpm) pump tied to each bottom drain. I tried using a single pump with a tee but presumably due to the 6.5' depth it wasn't strong enough, so now I have two which I can turn on and off separately via remote control. Seems like there's definitely plenty of air when both are running, LOL. I'll leave it for now but may play around with poking a few pinholes in the tubing if I feel like it's too strong.

    10. #30
      hp is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Nov 2016
      Location
      Seattle, WA
      Posts
      109
      Quote Originally Posted by audioenvy View Post
      Haha, I've researched the various and sometimes contradictory threads about how much aeration is good and if it's possible to have too much. The angle of the KoiKam makes it seem like there's only one BD/aerator but there are actually two. I have a separate Danner 2900 cu/min (47 lpm) pump tied to each bottom drain. I tried using a single pump with a tee but presumably due to the 6.5' depth it wasn't strong enough, so now I have two which I can turn on and off separately via remote control. Seems like there's definitely plenty of air when both are running, LOL. I'll leave it for now but may play around with poking a few pinholes in the tubing if I feel like it's too strong.
      I see. I do see two aerators btw. I am buying the Aquascape Pond Aerator Pro 61000 which is rated for 2.1cf/min so hopefully that will be enough for my 4Kgallon pond. Remote control seems like a good idea, make it easy to turn it on/off. can you share which one are you using?

      Thanks,
      hp.

    11. #31
      audioenvy's Avatar
      audioenvy is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      Utah
      Posts
      281
      Quote Originally Posted by haivph View Post
      I see. I do see two aerators btw. I am buying the Aquascape Pond Aerator Pro 61000 which is rated for 2.1cf/min so hopefully that will be enough for my 4Kgallon pond. Remote control seems like a good idea, make it easy to turn it on/off. can you share which one are you using?
      If my math is correct that's 60lph so unless your pond is quite deep like mine that should be enough.

      This is the remote controller I'm using although I'm sure there are many others. I just found I could not use it for anything that draws significant current. Specifically, it will damage the remote control plug if you try to use it for something like a water pump.

      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      Last edited by audioenvy; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:41 AM.

    12. #32
      hp is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Nov 2016
      Location
      Seattle, WA
      Posts
      109
      Quote Originally Posted by audioenvy View Post
      If my math is correct that's 60lph so unless your pond is quite deep like mine that should be enough.

      This is the remote controller I'm using although I'm sure there are many others. I just found I could not use it for anything that draws significant current. Specifically, it will damage the remote control plug if you try to use it for something like a water pump.

      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      Great, thanks!

      my pond is only ~4ft deep at the BD so , I think that will be enough.

      hp.

    13. #33
      davidjensen's Avatar
      davidjensen is offline Senior Member
      is needing more Koi
       
      Feeling:
      Amused
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Location
      Bellevue WA USA
      Posts
      2,900
      This took about 3 hours to complete. This is the first time I have set up a lean to over the pond. It will be interesting to see if it can withstand a good winter storm and how much it will affect the water temp.
      Attached Images Attached Images   
      Need more Koi

    14. #34
      audioenvy's Avatar
      audioenvy is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      Utah
      Posts
      281
      Quote Originally Posted by davidjensen View Post
      This took about 3 hours to complete. This is the first time I have set up a lean to over the pond. It will be interesting to see if it can withstand a good winter storm and how much it will affect the water temp.
      It looks like you have enough tree protection that wind won't be a huge issue. What are the pond dimensions?

    15. #35
      davidjensen's Avatar
      davidjensen is offline Senior Member
      is needing more Koi
       
      Feeling:
      Amused
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Location
      Bellevue WA USA
      Posts
      2,900
      Max 8’ wide, 16’ long, max 54” deep, 2450 gallons in the pond and 400 more in filtration and the water falls.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by davidjensen; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:55 PM.
      Need more Koi

    16. #36
      RichToyBox's Avatar
      RichToyBox is online now Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      Awesome
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2005
      Location
      Sandston, VA
      Posts
      12,524
      I would recommend these https://www.lowes.com/pd/ZipWall-2-P...er-Kit/4748551 so that you will be able to open the cover and see the fish during the winter.

      "Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

    17. #37
      davidjensen's Avatar
      davidjensen is offline Senior Member
      is needing more Koi
       
      Feeling:
      Amused
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Location
      Bellevue WA USA
      Posts
      2,900
      Thanks for the tip. I’ll be getting that tomorrow.
      Need more Koi

    18. #38
      audioenvy's Avatar
      audioenvy is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      Utah
      Posts
      281
      Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      I would recommend these https://www.lowes.com/pd/ZipWall-2-P...er-Kit/4748551 so that you will be able to open the cover and see the fish during the winter.
      I've looked at those but worried about the adhesive. Have you used this specific brand/model?

    19. #39
      RichToyBox's Avatar
      RichToyBox is online now Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      Awesome
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2005
      Location
      Sandston, VA
      Posts
      12,524
      Yes. Last winter I used that brand. The years before I used one from HD, but found these to have a wider and better adhesive area. I use to have to use an office stapler to attach the ones from HD when they would turn loose. Not needed for these, but only one year.

      "Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

    20. #40
      KoiRun's Avatar
      KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      is ready for winter
       
      Feeling:
      Shy
       
      Join Date
      Nov 2015
      Location
      Mississauga, Ontario
      Posts
      977
      Quote Originally Posted by davidjensen View Post
      Max 8’ wide, 16’ long, max 54” deep, 2450 gallons in the pond and 400 more in filtration and the water falls.
      Looking good David. Fish must be wondering what's going on? That Yami is huge; gonna need a bigger net next year.

    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •