• Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy pond treatments.

Jakessvx1 is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Where to buy pond treatments.

Can anyone recommend the best dechlorinator and pond salt products available for the money. I'm new to ponds. In aquariums it wasn't such a concern, but in a 9000 gallon pond the $$$ goes quick! Thanks

Wmurky is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Jakessvx1 View Post
      Can anyone recommend the best dechlorinator and pond salt products available for the money. I'm new to ponds. In aquariums it wasn't such a concern, but in a 9000 gallon pond the $$$ goes quick! Thanks
      Seachem Safe is very good, I use Morton solar salt

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

kevin32 is online now CKK in training
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Awesome

seachem safe for dechlor. only use salt to protect from nitrite spike

koiman1950 is offline Senior Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Annoyed

As mentioned, salt is only really effective to protect the fish from a Nitrite spike. Otherwise, don't buy into anything you read on the net about using salt. It's old, outdated information as it is no longer effective against parasites and such.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

OCkoiFan is offline Senior Member
      is on a tosai winter mission

Feeling:
      Secret

Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
      seachem safe for dechlor. only use salt to protect from nitrite spike
      Salt and elbagin go together though...
      M.Nguyen

is chillin

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by OCkoiFan View Post
      Salt and elbagin go together though...
      yep

dragonfly1976 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I buy 50lb bags of Soduim Thiosulfate from my local chemical distributor for dechlor.

Jakessvx1 is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wow! One jar of this seachem safe treats 60,000 gallons. Nice! Okay, so no salt. Are there any other routine additives I should be looking into?

tbullard is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wow! One jar of this seachem safe treats 60,000 gallons. Nice! Okay, so no salt. Are there any other routine additives I should be looking into?
      Clean water and Air

cindy is online now Moderator ~ WWKC Vice President ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is Hopeful

Feeling:
      Friendly

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      Test kits
      Baking soda.
      I keep Proform C and a fluke treatment on hand. We have a first aid list in the ER section
      My opinions in ER and on this forum are mine only. Use my advice at your own discretion.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

K.O.I.

Member: EIHIOICGI

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...nd-Information

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...06#post2606106 Show thread

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      is needing more sleep

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by cindy View Post
      Test kits
      Baking soda.
      I keep Proform C and a fluke treatment on hand. We have a first aid list in the ER section
      Hi Cindy,

How often do you use Proform C and fluke treatment on your pond? I'm going on 4 years of koi keeping and I've never had to use any pond treatment (except salt - twice, but on hindsight I could have done without it). You keep these 'on hand' because you add fish to your pond or, I can imagine, because you help others treat their pond, or it is because it's hard for you to get on 'short notice'?

I don't plan on adding any more fish in my pond so I really can't see how I can get any sort of parasite outbreak in my pond. Ducks can't land in my pond and my pond in inhabitable to frogs. Little birds come to the side to drink occasionally, but won't be able to take a bath.

Sidney.
      Last edited by KoiRun; 1 Week Ago at 10:11 AM.
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- John Lennon.

cindy is online now Moderator ~ WWKC Vice President ~
      is Hopeful

Feeling:
      Friendly

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      Quote Originally Posted by KoiRun View Post
      Hi Cindy,

How often do you use Proform C and fluke treatment on your pond? I'm going on 4 years of koi keeping and I've never had to use any pond treatment (except salt - twice, but on hindsight I could have done without it). You keep these 'on hand' because you add fish to your pond or, I can imaging, because you help others treat their pond, or it is because it's hard for you to get on 'short notice'?

I don't plan on adding any more fish in my pond so I really can't see how I can get any sort of parasite outbreak in my pond. Ducks can't land in my pond and my pond in inhabitable to frogs. Little birds come to the side to drink occasionally, but won't be able to take a bath.

Sidney.
      I have a microscope and I pull my fish and take a little slime coat from them and look at it under the microscope. It's a whole lot cheaper to know if you need treatment before adding chemicals.

All fish have parasites, they build an immunity and you never know until the immunity drops because of stress, bad water or other conditions. Easier to have a stocked first aid kit than to scramble to find supplies. Emergencies never happen at convenient times.

We have Vendors here that sell pond supplies and support our site.
      My opinions in ER and on this forum are mine only. Use my advice at your own discretion.

K.O.I.

Member: EIHIOICGI

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...nd-Information

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...06#post2606106 Show thread

is needing more sleep

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by cindy View Post
      I have a microscope and I pull my fish and take a little slime coat from them and look at it under the microscope. It's a whole lot cheaper to know if you need treatment before adding chemicals.

All fish have parasites, they build an immunity and you never know until the immunity drops because of stress, bad water or other conditions. Easier to have a stocked first aid kit than to scramble to find supplies. Emergencies never happen at convenient times.

We have Vendors here that sell pond supplies and support our site.
      What parasite can cause a real emergency, say symptom to death in less than a few days? You'll have plenty of signs such as flashing, developing ulcers, skin problems etc. won't you? Meaning you'll also have plenty of time to correct bad water conditions and other stressing factors. I understand costia can be quite an emergency - can proform C take care of this?
      Last edited by KoiRun; 1 Week Ago at 11:04 AM.

is needing more sleep

Feeling:
      ----

Fresh batteries for your flashlight, to inspect your koi daily (?).

Pond,James_Pond is offline Senior Member
      is Let 'em eat Manda Foo!

Feeling:
      Friendly

I'm at the other end of the "be prepared for everything" scale. I keep PP, Sodium Percarbonate, Hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, sodium thiosulphate and Chlor AM X on hand. I rarely need to react to some unforeseen condition that surprises me. I have test kits but use them rarely also, and when I do it's mainly to rule out water parameter problems.

Case in point: As the water is getting colder, I notice Sunny our largest (fattest) fish with a slight bent spine condition struggling a little more to swim. Next day I check on them and there she is, lying on the bottom. Darn. Get the net to get her out and as soon as the net touches her, she wiggles upright and swims around. I toss in some food and she comes up with everybody else and gobbles up the goodies. Next day, same thing. This goes on for about five days and I figure it's only a matter of time when she doesn't respond. I'm thinkin' it's either a swim bladder problem or a tumor, or both. So I go about my winter cleaning tasks.

-Pond o vac the sides and bottom
      -Rake and grab loose/long algae
      -2ppm PP treatment
      -Shut down the waterfall and go into bypass mode
      -Next day Sodium Percarbonate on the floor to kill algae that encroaches on the BD
      -Clean the SG filter
      -Erect the lean-to frame

Now decision time with Sunny. Watchful waiting.... Tuesday and Wednesday she was swimming when I got home from work, acting normal! Was it the PP? Was it a cold water thing that she had to adjust to? If she's swimming today too, then the cover goes on and we'll see how it goes. Sure, I could net her and erect a hot tub in my garage and scrape and scope and inject antibiotics and take her to the vet and.....

and it's okay that I don't.

steve

GoldieGirl is offline Senior Member
      is CKK in Training

Feeling:
      ----

What parasite can cause a real emergency, say symptom to death in less than a few days? You'll have plenty of signs such as flashing, developing ulcers, skin problems etc. won't you? Meaning you'll also have plenty of time to correct bad water conditions and other stressing factors. I understand costia can be quite an emergency - can proform C take care of this?
      It sounds like you are arguing against being prepared ... ! It is an individual choice of course, but living in Canada as you are, you know that - a) supplies cost more both in price and shipping charges, b) are harder to find and c) can take forever to ship unless you have Amazon Prime.
      Unlike many, I have my own microscope and have taken the KOI course to learn how to scrape and scope. But by the time I notice a behaviour difference, decide to bowl and scrape, choose a course of treatment and order the meds, wait for delivery - the infestation or medical condition could easily be 2 or more weeks advanced. Like Cindy, I choose to have the items I need on hand, ordered when I have time to shop around and wait for delivery, often stocking up when I travel to the States.

koiman1950 is offline Senior Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Annoyed

You have a very cavalier attitude towards husbandry don't you? Just remember Murphy's Law because flukes, Costia, Chilodinella,ich can all kill in a few days and don't forget about internal bacterial infections and swim bladder problems that, when the become visible, it's usually the last part of the infection before the fish succumb. just because you haven't had a problem, which I remember you posting a thread about one not too long ago, doesn't mean you won't have, especially with your current filtration. the fish will most likely continue to grow and if you believe those filters will handle the increased bio load, well, you're just fooling yourself. Your fish will tell you differently though so be diligent. Oh, and don't forget your flashlight!
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

The most important item to have, in my opinion is a good test kit, which includes ammonia, nitrite, nitrate???, high range pH, and KH. Of these, for an established pond, KH is the most important, as a good high (above 100, potentially to 200ppm) will maintain a solid pH, and a solid pH will keep the filter bacteria happy, which will keep the ammonia and nitrites very close to zero, and the fish will appreciate the steady state conditions. For dechlor, I like sodium thiosulfate for routine water changes, and Cloram-X or Safe for massive water changes or to combat high ammonia levels during filter cycling.

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

is chillin

Feeling:
      Awesome

i have had undetectable ulcers occur underneath my koi. most i caught to late and was not prepared. i did catch 2 in time and had amakicin on hand and injected them. 5 days later there were no signs that a ulcer even existed. it can and will happen and being prepared doesn't hurt

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Find a source for antibiotics. You may never need them, but if you do, it is very difficult to find a vet willing to treat fish, or give antibiotics for you to treat them, and it is not something that you can spend weeks or months sourcing.

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast