• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Gene's 300g Setup with 55g Upflow Filter

Gene is offline Supporting Member
      is Still Alive!

Feeling:
      Happy

Dale and Patti's QT - Copied to archive by wcstory

Here is a drawing I put together of Dale and Patti's QT and filters. It can be run with just the barrel filter when the ball valve is fully open or it can be run completely through the 4 barrel tower with the ball valve closed or a combination of both by partially closing the ball valve. This filtration system would handle a 1000 gallon pond without a hiccup.

This picture shows the bottom of the 300 gallon Rubber Maid stock tank with the drains installed.

This is the way I build the 4 barrel tower.

Use a 1-1/2" PVC cross. You can get them in white schedule 40 PVC at Lowe's, Home Depot or other plumbing sources. Use a hole saw and cut a hole in the center to accept a 1-1/2" PVC pipe.

Use four pieces of 4" ABS pipe. The length can be adjusted to your needs for the space you have available. The ones I did for Dale and Patti are 48" long. The holes need to be approximately 2-1/4" in diameter but I used a smaller hole saw and enlarged them with a drimmel sanding disc in my drill.

You want outlets of the PVC cross to fit tightly in the holes. I beveled the ends of the outlets to get them started in the holes and forced them the rest of the way.

Once I assembled the PVC cross and the four sections of ABS pipe I glued a short piece of 3" ABS pipe in the center (not shown) to make them stable. Always use "All Purpose" glue when gluing ABS.

Drill 3/8 or 1/2" holes in the end of four 4" ABS end caps and glue them to the bottom ends of the pipes. Fill the pipes with bio balls or another plastic media that has a good flow through. I don't recommend Kaldness. It would trap too much of the bacteria that dies and sluffs off.

How I build the 55 gallon drum filters.

This shows the inside of the 55 gallon drum with the 2" shower drain for the bottom drain. The reason it is positioned where it is because it is one of the lowest points in the barrel and it was the only smooth place on the bottom. Ideally it would be in the exact center but there is a mold seam there and it will not allow a good seal.

Here it is with the inlet. The 2" bulkhead fitting is the same as the one at the top left but it isn't visible in the picture due to the shadow. By installing the inlet like this it will slow the water down some and help with settlement. It also will be a support for the 24" "Matala Round" media I'll use first.

By installing the outlet like so the PVC pipe will serve to hold the media down and with the elbow turned up it will pick up oxygen before going back to the pond. When using it before a pump as in Dale and Patti's application you need to turn the elbow down and use a pipe strainer on the end.

This filter can be pump fed or gravity fed. With the 2" inlet and outlet a flow rate of 600-1,000 gph is recommended. If you gravity feed the filter with the pump after you will need to turn the elbow down so it doesn't pick up any air.

The poly drums I use most have an inside diameter of 24" and the 24" Matala Rounds fit very nicely. I am using the green for the first stage of media.

The bird netting is folded 3 ways so I unroll it, spread it out, gather it up and stuff it into the barrel.

I use a piece of egg crate to help hold the netting below the water with the outlet pipe over that. If you build one of these filters make sure any of the media you use can't get drawn into the outlet and clog it. If you have it outside cover the top of the barrel so leaves or other debris can't get in and stop up the outlet. Be sure to leave an air space between the lid and the barrel. I use heavy shade cloth to cover mine outside.

A picture of the bottom drain.

I set the new barrel filter up on a reservoir tank.

Last edited by wcstory; 04-15-2005 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Preserve an excellent post for quick reference - nice work Gene!
      Gene

WWKC Lifetime Pro Member #1

http://www.koiclay.com

The only failures are those that stop trying! There is a very thin line between procrastination and delayed gratification. You won't be happy with what you want, if you aren't happy with what you have. It's not what you are looking at, but where you are looking from.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

WinginSue is offline Proud Propeller Head
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Gene,

How are the bottom drains set up inside the tub? Do you have domes or are they just shower drains? Thanks
      Suzette
      Suzette
      http://sues_oasis.home.comcast.net

Member of the Blabbermouth Club

allen42 is offline Sweet innocent country boy
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Great Question , i was wondering the same thing & thought about useing a tupperware bowl some kinda way if the dome is needed , with 3 drains , like dales & pattis, it prolly doesnt need a dome , mine is a 150 rubbermade & i am just putting one shower drain in it UNless Gene slaps me around ^ tells me to do it right & put 3 , then i will put 3 ! lol

oh as for as setting up , i just installed a shower drain on the drum tonight , it sticks up about a 1/16th of a inch or so
      Allen

PROUD MEMBER OF THE SCC
      PROUD FOUNDER OF THE SUGA CLUB

Proud Member of the Yada Yada Yada club !( I HAVE DONE IT ) !!!

pandora is offline Inactivated
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

We had the perfect place for it . . .

is Still Alive!

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by allen42
      Great Question , i was wondering the same thing & thought about useing a tupperware bowl some kinda way if the dome is needed , with 3 drains , like dales & pattis, it prolly doesnt need a dome , mine is a 150 rubbermade & i am just putting one shower drain in it UNless Gene slaps me around ^ tells me to do it right & put 3 , then i will put 3 ! lol

oh as for as setting up , i just installed a shower drain on the drum tonight , it sticks up about a 1/16th of a inch or so
      Allen,

I've started using 2 drains for the 100 and 150 tanks. I center them on each side like with the stock tank filter at http://www.koiclay.com/diy/pg1.htm
      Gene

The only failures are those that stop trying! There is a very thin line between procrastination and delayed gratification. You won't be happy with what you want, if you aren't happy with what you have. It's not what you are looking at, but where you are looking from.

is Still Alive!

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by WinginSue
      Gene,

How are the bottom drains set up inside the tub? Do you have domes or are they just shower drains? Thanks
      Suzette
      Suzette,

They are just 2" shower drains like the one in the barrel but I leave the strainer cover on them when using them for holding tanks. It would be nice to have anti-vortex domes, but that was too much for my time line.
      Gene

is Still Alive!

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schoeler
      Nice filter design! I bet I know of four fish that could make it work 24/7!!
      Karl,

The 55 gallon barrel filter handled them as well as Dale and Patti's large Sanke without the 4 barrel shower. I plan on adding the showers to all my tanks eventually.
      Gene

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007