• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: New fish

Essex Koi is offline Senior Member
      is getting cold...

Feeling:
      Happy

New fish

Just got a Tancho (nisai) this afternoon. Haven’t any close up pics yet, but I’m happy with it...it’s about 30cm.

Name:  45AAE6F4-0021-4E9B-AF74-08EE044AACE7.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  152.6 KB

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

I would have quarantined it for a couple of months before adding him to the pond with the others, but hopefully it'll be okay.
      Looks like a nice addition to the others. Hope the hi cleans up a little. Enjoy!
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

is getting cold...

Feeling:
      Happy

All my fish have come from the same place and no issues to date, hence why I didn’t QT.

I should also add that I know a lot of folk set their expectations on the markings, etc being near to or actually perfect and I respect this, but personally I’m just not bothered by it.
      Last edited by Essex Koi; 10-03-2017 at 06:44 PM.

lpst is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Essex Koi View Post
      All my fish have come from the same place and no issues to date, hence why I didn’t QT.
      I hear this a lot with fish, please please please QT your fish! I used to only get my SW fish from one place and didn't QT because of it and one day I brought home a trio of clowns from the same place and BAM! Lost $50,000 in montipora, acropora and a bunch of other coral overnight. After that I dont care if my fish came from the other tank in the other room it's getting QT'd

is getting cold...

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by lpst View Post
      I hear this a lot with fish, please please please QT your fish! I used to only get my SW fish from one place and didn't QT because of it and one day I brought home a trio of clowns from the same place and BAM! Lost $50,000 in montipora, acropora and a bunch of other coral overnight. After that I dont care if my fish came from the other tank in the other room it's getting QT'd

You make a valid point, just been lax at my end now. I got 4 new koi three weeks ago and they’re from the same tank.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Essex Koi View Post
      You make a valid point, just been lax at my end now. I got 4 new koi three weeks ago and they’re from the same tank.
      keep a close eye on them then, at least you can treat them all at once if you have any problems. they are nice looking though!

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

So what was it that killed your fish and coral overnight?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kdh View Post
      So what was it that killed your fish and coral overnight?
      Some kind of coral eating nudibranch that was so small I never did see them, clown fish eat them but they are like sea stars and can grow back and maybe the clowns had a snack for the ride home? Or it came on a piece of LR (LR & coral should be QT'd as well Or dipped, which is what I did, but it obviously didn't stop the nudibranchs) from the same place around the same time. Either way, quarantine!

rcmike is offline Supporting Member
      is Still learning every day!

Feeling:
      Embarrased

Some kind of coral eating nudibranch that was so small I never did see them, clown fish eat them but they are like sea stars and can grow back and maybe the clowns had a snack for the ride home? Or it came on a piece of LR (LR & coral should be QT'd as well Or dipped, which is what I did, but it obviously didn't stop the nudibranchs) from the same place around the same time. Either way, quarantine!
      I agree, quarantine! However, I doubt that nudibranchs killed all of your coral overnight. There had to be something else going on. Also, nudies have very specific food sources. Ones that feed on montipora don't eat acropora, etc.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes I'm sure it was more. But the point is, quarantine.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I did not quarantine and all is well.

So what are the odds of a koi getting sick from a respected dealer without quarantine?
      Last edited by kdh; 10-04-2017 at 10:03 PM.

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

So what are the odds of a koi getting sick from a respected dealer without quarantine?
      are you saying you do not qt your fish im confused. i admit I don't always qt my fish and have been fortunate lately. i don't encourage it but hey i had to many fish to qt them and did trust my dealers

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

I have no idea of the actual odds but I've bought the majority of my fish from Russ and Pan Intercorp, both of which I consider very respectable.
      I've quarantined every one because I value the fish already in my pond, not because of the dealers quarantine procedures. I'm sure theirs is better
      than mine... I'm just not willing to risk the fish in my pond by tossing in a new one without making sure they're okay.

--Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

With all the posts in all the threads here about quarantine and folks are still willing to play Russian Roulette with their current fish. You can trust a dealer all you want, and he may be the very best at qt protocols, but the fish is the one that will do the damage. Compatibility between the existing stock and the new entry will be based on each components ability to tolerate the differences in habitat and the parasite levels involved. The new one may be just fine but it could carry a new/different strain of bugs that the existing pond doesn't have and BAM you have a problem. Quarantining a new addition with a canary fish or two would be necessary to eliminate the potential problem. You don't necessarily even have to treat the fish in qt right away. Just take a wait and see approach and allow the new one(s) to de-stress from the journey from the dealer to your home. This could be all it takes for a weakened immune system to create health problems.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

is getting cold...

Feeling:
      Happy

Well the fish that I bought was bred here in the UK and I wouldn’t call them dealers as such, although they have pro facilities. Now the fish I have, is from the same vat as 4 others I got a month ago. And the journey, well about an hour back as I collected.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007