ricshaw is offline Senior Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Quote Originally Posted by kimini View Post
      700-800 kWh, or around $200/month.
      Then you may be a candidate for solar.

I'm just starting my education and understand just enough to be really dangerous...

I know that once a year, PV system users have a "truing up" billing, where the balance is paid off between them and the utility. If you used more than you made you own them $X. If you made more than you used, they owe you, but here's the big catch. The amount they pay you per kWh is somewhere around $0.027, yup, 2.7 cents. It's so close to zero that it's a big reason to not oversize a PV system. That said, there's always future additional uses, an electric car is a big one, typically upping usage by 20-50%.

I know I didn't really answer your question, because I'm not sure. Still reading to better understand just that.
      Basically the utility pays you their wholesale cost of buying electricity at the end of the year if you produce more than you use.

It was explained to me that another reason you do not need a solar system that produces 100% of your electricity need is, as you know, the utility charges you on a usage tier plan. The 1st tier charge per KWh is reasonable and would not warrant investing in solar. So people who use very little would not benefit from buying a solar system. Energy hogs, like Koi pond hobbyist, electricity costs go into the 3rd and 4th tiers, which is a lot!!

avorancher is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm just starting my education and understand just enough to be really dangerous...

I know that once a year, PV system users have a "truing up" billing, where the balance is paid off between them and the utility. If you used more than you made you own them $X. If you made more than you used, they owe you, but here's the big catch. The amount they pay you per kWh is somewhere around $0.027, yup, 2.7 cents. It's so close to zero that it's a big reason to not oversize a PV system. That said, there's always future additional uses, an electric car is a big one, typically upping usage by 20-50%.

I know I didn't really answer your question, because I'm not sure. Still reading to better understand just that.
      Yes, I pay a balance once a year if I use more than I generate. But I'm not on a time-of-use plan... just straight tier pricing. I just didn't understand how the time-of-use calculates when one has a solar system large enough to cover 24 hours usage.

And yes, the amount they pay a user for excess generation is a very small, so it doesn't pay to build a system larger than you need. If they paid the user rate, the farms around here would be covered with solar panels.... at least mine would be.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12