• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: New guy with big plans 😄

Mark M is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

New guy with big plans 😄

Hello and I'm new to koi. I'm going to build a a koi / turtle pond and am planning on making it 15'x6'x2.5' or 15'x5'x2.5 (LxWxD). I put the cart before the horse and bought the fish before the pond so these fish are living in a stock tank. Im probably going to do most of the work myself (dig hole, install rebar, plumbing) and have a pool contractor install the gunite.
      My question is, how far of a spread does the rebar have to be?
      Please chime in if you have any other advice.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

As a pro builder, let the gunite pool crew do the rebar and gunite and I would recommend you go to AT LEAST 4' deep but better at 5' for several reasons.

Do you have any filtration on that tank with the fish? You do know you should be changing 10% of the water daily in that size tub with 5 fish. Also, don't try to feed too much. Once every 2-3 days for now and very little food.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
      Hello and I'm new to koi. I'm going to build a a koi / turtle pond and am planning on making it 15'x6'x2.5' or 15'x5'x2.5 (LxWxD). I put the cart before the horse and bought the fish before the pond so these fish are living in a stock tank. Im probably going to do most of the work myself (dig hole, install rebar, plumbing) and have a pool contractor install the gunite.
      My question is, how far of a spread does the rebar have to be?
      Please chime in if you have any other advice.

Pond depth.

Big swings of anything in a koi's life are detrimental to its health. Usually referred to as stress.

A shallow pond would have, could have big swings in temperatures depending on the time of year, weather conditions and day or night.

Water parameters with big swings are stressful or deadly in some instances.

Maybe consider the length of the Herons legs in your area as well.

Garfield
      Last edited by coolwon; 09-17-2017 at 06:25 AM.
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

game

Feeling:
      Cool

Last edited by coolwon; 09-17-2017 at 01:25 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks. Yes that stock tank has a filter and an air stone. I feed once a day then gone for work for 2 or 3 days, so I don't think they're being over fed. If planning on having a net over the pond, is 3 feet deep enough? I'd have a net even if 5 ft. deep. We have raccoons, hawks, eagles, herons, and egrets and think the basking turtles would fall victim before the koi. I'll do that and let the pool / gunite guy do the rebar. Finding someone may be another story. No ones calling me back.

birdman is offline DIY Savant
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Go a min. of 4 feet deep.

game

Feeling:
      Cool

A gunite pond is quite a big investment.

How about this; Dig and build a 5-foot deep gunited / structure pond with the bottom drains pipe supply work as normal.

Extend and adapt the pipework up from the bottom drain fixed at 5 foot to the depth you have in mind to an another bottom drain fitting or two fixed at your 3 foot depth.

Then fill in the 5-foot deep pond with coarse river sand to just below your 3-foot bottom drain depth and throw a light screed of cement and river sand on top the river sand to

create the depth you are happy with now. When the KOI BUG bites big time you break away the false bottom excavate the loose river sand and go to the accepted depth for

KOI

Garfield

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Talk about a BIG investment. Why go to all that trouble and simply split the difference and go to 4' and call it good. Our area isn't that prone to extreme winter weather conditions so 4' is doable. Why would want to spend all that money to bury it like a tomb. Oh, wait, I forgot, you'll need to add a grave marker of some type!lol
      Mike

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

game

Feeling:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      As a pro builder, let the gunite pool crew do the rebar and gunite and I would recommend you go to AT LEAST 4' deep but better at 5' for several reasons.

Do you have any filtration on that tank with the fish? You do know you should be changing 10% of the water daily in that size tub with 5 fish. Also, don't try to feed too much. Once every 2-3 days for now and very little food.

"MIKE"

I did not want to go against your suggested a better " POND DEPTH OF 5 FEET". After all you are the professinal pond builder of many years.

I went the extra mile and went 6 foot . I have Never looked back.

I was trying to get you WORKED up. You must have been a Bass in your past life. YOU FALL FOR IT EVERY TIME.

Let the customer decide it's his call. He would like options.

Garfield

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

I used to tournament fish for bass but I'm not falling for anything. I did give him options stating 4' and 5' being even better! Don't see the problem there. But, I guess Birdman's suggestion of 4' isn't any good either, huh?!? Are you familiar with our weather conditions? With a pond of this size, 6' is somewhat overkill. And, of course, the OP can do whatever he wants. It's just a recommendation, based on many years of hobby/professional experience. Oh, and if you were trying to be comical, don't bother. I'm sure the OP thought you were serious too!
      Last edited by koiman1950; 09-19-2017 at 06:02 PM.
      Mike

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

In actuality, deep water here would just be for predator protection. Winters are in the 40's and summers in the 80's to 90's. those koi in the video went through a few 112 degree days a couple of weeks ago. I drove an hour and a half home to move them indoors, but they were fine. I temp gunned the water and it was only 86F. I'll look into the price difference between going 3 or 4 ft. deep and consider the safety concerns with that deep of pond with the potential of having small children falling in it.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007