• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Gambusia Mosquito Fish - How to get rid of them?

Stevectx is offline Supporting Member
      is Happy to have this group

Feeling:
      ----

Gambusia Mosquito Fish - How to get rid of them?

OMG! those little buggers are THICK now and very much an eye irritant. Does anyone have solid recommendations on how to get rid of or greatly diminish Gambusia...short of draining and drying the pond? Yes we put them in on purpose and yes I don't have mosquitos but dang those little suckers are pesky. I thought putting a little minnow trap would do help at least reduce their numbers but can't find a fine mesh trap.

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Look for a minnow trap. Otherwise, just net them out and offer them to others. They are live bearers just like guppies and they reproduce every 28 days!
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Paultergeist is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I don't think anyone has ever eradicated them from their pond short of a total draining. Traps, nets...? Sure, but will you ever get them all?

inazuma28 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Mosquitofish can survive relatively inhospitable environments, and are resilient to low oxygen concentrations, high salt concentrations (up to twice that of sea water), and temperatures up to 42 C (108 F) for short periods.[11] Because of their notable adaptability to harsh conditions and their global introduction into many habitats for mosquito control, they have been described as the most widespread freshwater fish in the world.[18]

kimini is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wait until winter and net them out; there'll be far fewer then and don't reproduce much, if at all.

fairlady is offline Senior Member
      is Happily Retired

Feeling:
      Happy

Not sure about where you live....But here vector control gives them away to folks for free....They have a 300 person waiting list...We finally got some for our little pond from a koi club member.....Maybe you could contact someone and see if you can "donate" them.....Just a thought...
      Susie

wingrider is offline Supporting Member
      is satisfied with his flow.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Dredging up old thread- I have the reverse problem.

Vector control gave me a bunch of them yesterday morning and quite a few were preggers already. Well I got home from work to find most of them gone. I think my round skimmer about a foot out in the pond pulled most of them in. I saw a big one early on get pulled in but then it aggressively jumped out so I assumed they had the instinct to not want to be in there. I pulled out one when I got home and it looked like a couple unknown gray/black blobs in the bottom of the skimmer may have been others.

There's also a chance that the Koi have had some snacks as well. Last night I was out with the flashlight looking around the rocks to find one of my smaller 6" koi going at the rocks with some gusto. It then went down about a foot and was swinging its head back and forth like one of those Orca videos going after seals or something. Vector offered to come back out this morning and bring some more. I've turned off the skimmer for the time being and see what the loss count is tomorrow.

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Are you talking about a no niche skimmer?
      If yes, I had a similar problem on my koi qt. It's one of the reasons I don't use them any longer. I had a number of tosai end up in there and a friend had about a 16" koi end up in hers head first.
      My work around for it was to use some mesh screening to keep the fish out of the skimmer. I wrapped the screening along the body of the skimmer and secured it with zip ties. Use a mesh slightly smaller than the fish.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

I'll say something when I feel I have something worth saying. I'm not a fan of flapping my lips just because they are there.

gander is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD ~ 2018 KPOTY
      is birds flying high you know how
      I feel

Feeling:
      Awesome

get one perch and throw in he will feast
      "most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song
      still in them."
      I wish I could sing

OK.TN.

wingrider is offline Supporting Member
      is satisfied with his flow.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post
      Are you talking about a no niche skimmer?
      If yes, I had a similar problem on my koi qt. It's one of the reasons I don't use them any longer. I had a number of tosai end up in there and a friend had about a 16" koi end up in hers head first. My work around for it was to use some mesh screening to keep the fish out of the skimmer. I wrapped the screening along the body of the skimmer and secured it with zip ties. Use a mesh slightly smaller than the fish.
      Yes, that's exactly the one. Thank you for this feedback.

I added nonleaded wheel weights (before this issue) inside the under lip shortly after I got it to get it to be more sensitive to sinking below the surface with less water draw. I may have to add a couple more so i can further decrease how much pull the skimmer needs to create that draw. I'd prefer to have it running as I didn't have one for years and see the huge benefit to it now. I plumbed for it and just never got to it. Now that I have more Mosquitofish coming, I will have to look into your suggestion of that mesh screening.

My smallest Koi are about 4-5 inches and they seem oblivious to the skimmer along with the bigger Koi. I have been able to regulate the draw with a valve and those weights so it's not a rushing vortex around it. My water fall seems to punch enough wave action that about 2/3ds of the waves generate motion towards the skimmer. Only takes a nudge to get leaves and small bits to land in it.

You've got me thinking now about how to put some sort of "hat" on it so a bigger fish can't stumble into it taking a header like your experience.

BroHay is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

2" strainer basket from Tractor Supply.

SKU # 210810599

MikeM is offline Super Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by gander View Post
      get one perch and throw in he will feast
      I was going to say Bluegills. ...Same difference.