• Tired
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My first pond! London, England

P8_Driver is offline Member
      is Should Be Flying!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Welcome to the forum!

You could do either. If you wanted to tuck it behind or near the fig tree that would be fine, just ensure it is at or above the level of the pond and you use the same size diameter pipe to return to the pond. From the images of the link it looks like 2" or 50mm gravity return.

Or just position the filter next to the pond and hide it behind some rock work or other landscaping.

Both options are viable, there are some great people on here with many years of experience. I am sure you will come up with a plan.

Cheers,

Nick

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Geo90 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by P8_Driver View Post
      Welcome to the forum!

You could do either. If you wanted to tuck it behind or near the fig tree that would be fine, just ensure it is at or above the level of the pond and you use the same size diameter pipe to return to the pond. From the images of the link it looks like 2" or 50mm gravity return.

Or just position the filter next to the pond and hide it behind some rock work or other landscaping.

Both options are viable, there are some great people on here with many years of experience. I am sure you will come up with a plan.

Cheers,

Nick
      Thanks Nick. I've already got a 2" pipe/hose coming. The area near the fig tree might be slightly raised so that could work out and would give me more room to tuck it away. I'll figure it out! I don't how fast/powerful the water coming back out of the outlet will be but I'm probably stack some more rocks/paddle stones on one of the pond shelves and run the return hose hidden through the rockery so it creates a sort of waterfall effect as long as it doesn't shoot out too fast!

I noticed a lot of stuff sitting on the surface of the pond, just things from the neighbours etc like grass etc that had blown in the wind. I just invested in an Oase Aquaskim skimmer and pump to go with it, but realised the above filter needs to have the attached UV also plugged in an electrical socket. That means I might not have a power outlet for my air stones if needed.

Seems like I've got a lot of pumps going and running in a relatively small pond i.e between 1500-2000 gallons.

So I really can't be investing in anything else at this moment in time aside from small bits and pieces. I currently have -

Pump running waterfall cascade/spillway with additional bio balls/foam/matting the water runs up before it spills out
      Kockney Koi Yamitsu Black Box filter with UV (and additional pump to run it)
      Oase Aquaskim 20 (with small additional pump to run it)

And if needed or I can find another way to extend the electrical supply to five sockets, an aerator/air stones which I'm not sure will be needed now with the turnover of water from the waterfall and also the hose running back through the rocks from the filter
      Last edited by Geo90; 08-15-2017 at 08:38 AM.

Geo90 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by velvetbone View Post
      Geo,
      Not really familiar with the weather in London...... how cold does it get? And when does it begin to go below 58 degrees ?
      Do you have a frost line? Does it ever snow? If so how often? I'm worried that your existing set up won't allow the koi to make it to next summer.......
      V
      Hey, saw you were from San Diego. I've spent quite a lot of time in LA/Ventura but never ventured down to SD, it's on my list!

The weather in London is quite mild. It's mainly based around waiting for summer every year but then getting two weeks of sun and then clouds for the rest of the year!

In all seriousness, it doesn't get that cold. We use Celsius but I've run it through a convertor. I remember being in Ohio once and it being 17f, that was enough for me to step outside the hotel and walk straight back in. It never ever gets that cold! It starts to dip under 58f in October/November time and very very rarely goes lower than 40f. It then starts to warm up again in February. Snow, sometimes we get some but not always. Maybe once in three years we'll get snow of any note, in fact, I'd probably say the last time we got snow which actually settled on the ground to any real amount was at least 3-5 years ago maybe more! The grass does get covered a light layer of frost occasionally but this usually clears up by 11am or so when it does happen. Quite a lot of rain/wind at times but we don't really experience harsh winters or hot summers.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by Geo90 View Post
      Thanks Nick. I've already got a 2" pipe/hose coming. The area near the fig tree might be slightly raised so that could work out and would give me more room to tuck it away. I'll figure it out! I don't how fast/powerful the water coming back out of the outlet will be but I'm probably stack some more rocks/paddle stones on one of the pond shelves and run the return hose hidden through the rockery so it creates a sort of waterfall effect as long as it doesn't shoot out too fast!

I noticed a lot of stuff sitting on the surface of the pond, just things from the neighbours etc like grass etc that had blown in the wind. I just invested in an Oase Aquaskim skimmer and pump to go with it, but realised the above filter needs to have the attached UV also plugged in an electrical socket. That means I might not have a power outlet for my air stones if needed.

Seems like I've got a lot of pumps going and running in a relatively small pond i.e between 1500-2000 gallons.

So I really can't be investing in anything else at this moment in time aside from small bits and pieces. I currently have -

Pump running waterfall cascade/spillway with additional bio balls/foam/matting the water runs up before it spills out
      Kockney Koi Yamitsu Black Box filter with UV (and additional pump to run it)
      Oase Aquaskim 20 (with small additional pump to run it)

And if needed or I can find another way to extend the electrical supply to five sockets, an aerator/air stones which I'm not sure will be needed now with the turnover of water from the waterfall and also the hose running back through the rocks from the filter
      I don't have any experience with these types of pumps and filters but many of us use one pump and combine filters on the
      return back to the pond. It's hard to see but is the box on the far end the waterfall return? Could you possibly pump the flow
      to the Black Box filter and have the output flow through cascade/spillway and back to the pond instead of feeding it with another pump?
      I don't know how much head is created with matting or whether that could be removed since the Black Box filter is before it.

The skimmer looks pretty small for that much pond surface area but hopefully it'll help.
      Since funds are limited I think this will be a learning experience and when/if the renovation happens to go bigger, you'll have
      a good handle on what works and what doesn't.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

Geo90 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      I don't have any experience with these types of pumps and filters but many of us use one pump and combine filters on the
      return back to the pond. It's hard to see but is the box on the far end the waterfall return? Could you possibly pump the flow
      to the Black Box filter and have the output flow through cascade/spillway and back to the pond instead of feeding it with another pump?
      I don't know how much head is created with matting or whether that could be removed since the Black Box filter is before it.

The skimmer looks pretty small for that much pond surface area but hopefully it'll help.
      Since funds are limited I think this will be a learning experience and when/if the renovation happens to go bigger, you'll have
      a good handle on what works and what doesn't.
      Hey. That would seem like common sense but the waterfall box/cascade you mention is correct, it's at the back in the narrower section. I think the waterfall box only has connection for a 25mm and 40mm hose. I didn't even think of that! So I could try and figure out a way to pump the water into the black box filter and then run that through the pre-made waterfall box...(this is the waterfall box - https://www.pondkeeper.co.uk/superfi...ll-black/p3005). One of the only things prohibiting me or even attempting to try and set it up this way is there was a very small leak on the connection of the 25mm hose into the waterfall box so I put some glue around the connection and taped it to make sure it didn't leak in the future. If I remove the 25mm hose from the waterfall box without damaging the hole it should be OK but I don't want to do anything that may ruin the whole waterfall box by damaging the connection. The hose/pipe coming from the black box filter is 50mm, so I would need a way to hook up the 50mm hose/pipe into the waterfall box but thanks for the suggestion that makes sense and I hope I can do it! The black box filter has a maximum pump size though or recommended pump size which I bought so I'd also have to factor in the flow from the filter into the waterfall and if it's powerful enough. It would also save me $$$ as well because I'd be able to return a pump and free up an electrical socket.

As I'm in my mid 20's not only is my budget limited, I don't even know how long I will be at home. Even my parents will most likely look to retire abroad with the next 5-10 years so there would be no point going crazy on it anyway even if the budget allows. But now I've started, there's no going back and I want to do the best possible within budget, even if I just started with a shovel, a small hole. I was thinking like a caveman, I just thought hole, water, fish - job done
      Last edited by Geo90; 08-15-2017 at 10:18 AM.

~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Ahh yes, I remember my mid 20's... life can change quickly.

If the Black Box to waterfall box doesn't pan out, the same could be done with the skimmer circuit. Skimmer > pump > waterfall box.
      --Steve

Geo90 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If the Black Box to waterfall box doesn't pan out, the same could be done with the skimmer circuit. Skimmer > pump > waterfall box.
      Thanks! Yeah, I just thought, even if the black box to waterfall doesn't pan out, if the waterfall "filter" really isn't doing anything maybe I could just get rid of the waterfall box, build up a little bit of rock work and run the pipe direct from the black box filter through the new rockwork where the waterfall box currently is.

Geo90 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

And another thing, sorry to such a nuisance but I just want to get this pond done so I can at least relax on the build/construction side of things. I spoke to a guy this morning at a Pond equipment place because I am returning the vacuum because I don't see a need for it in the short term at least with such a new pond. Basically returning it balanced out the new filter/skimmer/pump and when/if I need it I can purchase it again. The guy was adamant I should put gravel and pebbles on the bottom of the lining. He said it will help clear the water, act as a filter and all I would need to do is once a year in the spring....empty the pond, remove the fish, give the pebble a good spray/clean with the hose then fill it up again a bit and pump the water out, then refill and put fish back in. Not sure if this is good advice in my situation or very bad advice because I've read mixed things on gravel etc.

TylerDurden is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Very very very bad advice. Rock or pebbles or stone in the pond collect fish poop and are breeding ground for bad bacteria. Please do not take that advice. It has barely any positives and many negatives.

Geo90 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks Tyler. One of the reasons I bought the vacuum was because my shelves were quite wide and shallow so even with rocks on them to cover the liner, you could see the rest of the shelf which was covered in sand/dust from the limestone rocks. I plan over the next couple of days once my Intex temporary pool arrives to pull up the liner (I have a replacement new one for free), and get rid of a lot of the width on the shelving and go deeper so there will be less surface within immediate eye sight that can gather dirt etc. That would just leave me the pond floor to vacuum. How often would one anticipate to vacuum a set up like mine without a bottom drain? Are we talking weekly, fortnightly, monthly or something longer like 3-6 months?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Geo90 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hey Steve, so ideally I'd like to run the water through the black box filter into the waterfall box and back into the pond to save messing around with two pumps/two sockets/two waterfalls etc. The waterfall black box had a 25 or 32mm hose connection, I went with the 25mm originally. But now I need to figure out a way to connect the 50mm flexible pipe into the waterfall input. Do you have any idea what I'd need? I think I probably need to figure out the size of the actual hole for the input before the connection but if you have any specific items or names/terminology of the adapter or fittings you think I may need that would help me a lot!

~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Hey Steve, so ideally I'd like to run the water through the black box filter into the waterfall box and back into the pond to save messing around with two pumps/two sockets/two waterfalls etc. The waterfall black box had a 25 or 32mm hose connection, I went with the 25mm originally. But now I need to figure out a way to connect the 50mm flexible pipe into the waterfall input. Do you have any idea what I'd need? I think I probably need to figure out the size of the actual hole for the input before the connection but if you have any specific items or names/terminology of the adapter or fittings you think I may need that would help me a lot!
      Like I said earlier, I've never used any of these products so take it all with a grain of salt!
      But I'd either not use the waterfall box at all and do like you thought of and build a separate waterfall and spillway out of rock;
      or plug the original input in the waterfall box and just drill a new one in it. You'd need a 50mm bulkhead fitting to to do it...
      just get a hole saw and drill another spot on a flat portion of the waterfall box and fit something like these into the opening:

http://www.aquasonic.com.au/product/...fitting-black/

But first I'd get the Black Box filter and see exactly what size you need and then order based on that. But a bulkhead fitting is the name of the part you need
      to adapt the waterfall box. Or just build a small waterfall return out of liner and rock and call it good. Honestly I don't see a small 17" waterfall box helping
      that much with filtration or bio. I'd think it's going to end up as one more thing that you need to clean.
      --Steve

Geo90 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Like I said earlier, I've never used any of these products so take it all with a grain of salt!
      But I'd either not use the waterfall box at all and do like you thought of and build a separate waterfall and spillway out of rock;
      or plug the original input in the waterfall box and just drill a new one in it. You'd need a 50mm bulkhead fitting to to do it...
      just get a hole saw and drill another spot on a flat portion of the waterfall box and fit something like these into the opening:

http://www.aquasonic.com.au/product/...fitting-black/

But first I'd get the Black Box filter and see exactly what size you need and then order based on that. But a bulkhead fitting is the name of the part you need
      to adapt the waterfall box. Or just build a small waterfall return out of liner and rock and call it good. Honestly I don't see a small 17" waterfall box helping
      that much with filtration or bio. I'd think it's going to end up as one more thing that you need to clean.

Thanks. I'll try to figure it out. I think it was you that mentioned it earlier but if the hose from the pump going into the black box filter is 50mm I think you mentioned the hose running out should also be 50mm. I don't know if I read that right but having something like a 25mm hose on the way out would open up my options for running it into the waterfall box or another feature.

The only reason I wanted to continue to use waterfall box is not so much for filtration now but more because it's easier i.e I can just build up some rock work around it, stick a light flat rock on the top, couple of rocks underneath spillwall and it will look decent. i don't know how difficult it is, it does look like a bit more work to build a rock spillway myself, but also I have some issues like because I'm not going that deep, I've had to kind of push the water level/pond height quite high compared to the surrounding land and the gradient/land of where I built the pond wasn't flat by any means all over which means I haven't really had any idea where the water level will sit best in comparison with the ground level/shelves until the pond is nearly full. Regardless of if it looks nicer or not, it's just a hell of a lot easier to use the waterfall box and let it spill directly into the water and hide the box with rocks.

Who knows, maybe I'll find a way to connect up the 50mm hose from the filter into the waterfall box without too much trouble but something tells me it's not going to be that easy!

~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

I think the main problem using the existing 25mm input to the filter box is that it's just too small. To gravity feed the waterfall box from the Black Box
      you'll need something larger. 50mm (about 2") would be the minimum I'd try. Not necessarily because it's the size of the input because the input is being
      fed by a pump... but because the 25mm (less than an inch) is just too small to gravity return enough water. I think it will cause the Black Box to overflow
      unless the output of the pump feeding it is severely restricted. When using gravity to return the water to the pond you want the biggest pipe you can manage.

Does the Black Box have more than one 50mm returns that feed back to the pond?
      --Steve

Geo90 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I think the main problem using the existing 25mm input to the filter box is that it's just too small. To gravity feed the waterfall box from the Black Box
      you'll need something larger. 50mm (about 2") would be the minimum I'd try. Not necessarily because it's the size of the input because the input is being
      fed by a pump... but because the 25mm (less than an inch) is just too small to gravity return enough water. I think it will cause the Black Box to overflow
      unless the output of the pump feeding it is severely restricted. When using gravity to return the water to the pond you want the biggest pipe you can manage.

Does the Black Box have more than one 50mm returns that feed back to the pond?
      Hey, I didn't consider that but that makes sense. If the water can't get out the black box quick enough then it will have nowhere to go! I'll check the box filter when it arrives. I've got a couple of options but if worse comes to worse, and I can't connect the box filter to the waterfall spillway and the gravity return isn't enough or something...what I will most likely do is probably keep the waterfall box running as a waterfall feature and just return the black box filter outlet into the pond. Depending on how I set up the rock work and how much and at what power the black box filter returns the water, I may return it directly into the pond or hide it in between rock work but it most likely won't be a waterfall, it's just be the outlet sort of running into the water hidden between rocks.

Does anyone have any recommendations for keeping the Koi healthy and alive whilst in my temporary Intex pool? I didn't want to get one to big or too deep because it would have been harder to catch them. I think it's 4 x 4 foot. Planning to put my aerator in there (two air stones)`and shade it with an umbrella. Do I need to do anything else? I may be able to get it done in a day, but having slightly longer i.e a couple more days may help me to get get it right and do what I want rather than rush...
      Last edited by Geo90; 08-16-2017 at 06:10 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Well i imagine you dont have any cycled filter media?? You should really have a filter wherever the koi are moved to. But if not you shouldn't feed them while in the pool and if its more then a day you can keep up with the ammonia by doing water changes and adding prime, safe or another chlorine/chloramine/ ammonia binder.

Geo90 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks Tyler. Not cycled for long any way, maybe a few weeks....I'll probably try and keep it to a day to be on the safe side.

Didn't realise the skimmer needed a dual outlet pump.

So a pump running the skimmer and black box filter, and if necessary a separate small pump running the waterfall box. I believe that Oase skimmer I have recommends a 4000lph-8000lph pump. Maybe I could buy the next size up black box filter but even then it has a recommended pump size of 6000lph so maybe a 6500lph dual pump would work! It seems the skimmer requires a larger pump size than the black box filter. I could upgrade the skimmer for virtually nothing as well however the bigger skimmer requires a min 8000lph pump and the larger black box recommended a 6000lph pump. Could this work? If not, I'll stick to the skimmer that requires a 6000lph pump and the black box that requires a 6500lph pump because the capacities are closer but if it doesn't make much different or works, I could go with the larger black box and larger skimmer however either the bigger skimmer would be running on an undersized pump or the black box filter would be running on an oversized pump
      Last edited by Geo90; 08-16-2017 at 08:21 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

What skimmer do you have? Do you have submersible pumps? Most pond skimmers you can just set the submersible pump in the skimmer and then run your outlet wherever you need it to go...ofcourse inline pumps or that are outside the water are usually more efficient and safer for your fish.

I'm now confused on what type of skimmer you have...

Geo90 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hey Tyler, sorry to confuse you. All this plumbing/pumps/filtration is alien to me but I am trying to figure it out. I'll post below the skimmer I have which is unopened and can be returned for the larger skimmer and the sort of pump I am looking at.

These are the two skimmers I saw with good reviews and within budget. I bought the 20 version but the 40 version is also within budget but requires a larger pump.

https://www.oase-livingwater.com/en_...kim.10792.html

This is the pump range that also works for my budget, has good reviews. They have dual inlet versions all the way from 3000lph to 10000lph. They are all pretty much in the same price range.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...d=TOWL1G35QHFC

And this are the filtration boxes I am looking at within budget.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kockney-Koi...ds=kockney+koi

http://kockneykoi.co.uk/products/fib...a-blackbox.php

~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Thanks Tyler. Not cycled for long any way, maybe a few weeks....I'll probably try and keep it to a day to be on the safe side.

Didn't realise the skimmer needed a dual outlet pump.

So a pump running the skimmer and black box filter, and if necessary a separate small pump running the waterfall box. I believe that Oase skimmer I have recommends a 4000lph-8000lph pump. Maybe I could buy the next size up black box filter but even then it has a recommended pump size of 6000lph so maybe a 6500lph dual pump would work! It seems the skimmer requires a larger pump size than the black box filter. I could upgrade the skimmer for virtually nothing as well however the bigger skimmer requires a min 8000lph pump and the larger black box recommended a 6000lph pump. Could this work? If not, I'll stick to the skimmer that requires a 6000lph pump and the black box that requires a 6500lph pump because the capacities are closer but if it doesn't make much different or works, I could go with the larger black box and larger skimmer however either the bigger skimmer would be running on an undersized pump or the black box filter would be running on an oversized pump

You don't want to pump more than the max amount to the Black Box filter since it's gravity return it will probably overflow.
      The 50mm return pipe will only flow so much via gravity and if you pump more than that to filter it will overflow. Remember
      too when you're plumbing the return back to the pond from the Black Box, you want the least amount of 90* fittings and such
      because each one adds "head" to the return and consequently you'll be able to pump less into the filter before it overflows.
      I'd put a ball valve on the input to the Black Box so you always have the ability to turn the flow down if it looks like the return
      can flow as much as you're pumping to it.
      --Steve

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast