• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Any other RDF owners have this happen?

kimini is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Any other RDF owners have this happen?

Though my RDF is self-built, I'm curious if this is common with RDF owners.

It's summer and segments of string algae float around in our pond, especially when the sun's on it. The algae that's light-density (less than water) float up and are caught by either the skimmer basket or SG filters. Neutral-buoyant algae get drawn into the drains due to the current generated by the aerated drains, and head to the RDF. Now the interesting part: because these algae clumps neither float nor sink, they apparently orbit inside the drum forever without getting drawn to the screen. I end up finding a rather enormous "cloud" in the RDF. The picture doesn't give it justice because it's out of the water and collapsed. In the RDF it's maybe 2-feet long and about 12" across. Anyone else see this or is it just me? Maybe it's because I'm not using insanely-powerful pumps like people use for shower setups. I can see if the flow is really high, whatever's in the drum is quickly forced through the screen. My flow is probably around 5000 gph, so maybe the flow simply isn't enough to force neutral-buoyancy stuff into the screen? Just curious.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by kimini; 08-12-2017 at 05:08 PM.

tbullard is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I think your theory about flow rate versus the size of your RDF is probably accurate.

Also your pictures don't show.

kevin32 is online now Senior Member
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Poorly

all i can say is all my stuff gets drawn to the screen in my be rdf. when i pop access screen there is only small algae and all on the screen

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by kimini View Post
      Anyone else see this?
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

rainblood is offline Assembler of Water Droplets Tetris Champion
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      Ditto.
      -Rain

:I CAN'T BRING THIS SHIP INTO TRTUGA ALL BY ME ONESIES, SAVVY?:

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I see a hand getting attacked by a green glob.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Poorly

hate to say it but seems u made way to big of an rdf. you could flow 20,000 gallons through your rdf. from the pic of the huge clump of algaye, looks more like what a sieve filter does
      a smaller rdf will cycle more and clean the screen more often. the huge rdf may not cycle as much meanwhile docs can form and increase the algae. much like a sieve where most the docs are removed but also algae like you showed will form..nobody will see what you did with any production rdf at proper flow rate...

zakki sieve waste. my rdf has none.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by kevin32; 08-12-2017 at 10:46 PM.

kimini is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

With "real" RDFs, when a cleaning cycle starts, what's the difference in water level between the input and outlet side? That would answer a number of questions.

If I understand your comments correctly, algae isn't "forming" in my RDF, it just isn't all ending up on the screen. Instead, some just swirls around inside the drum like a cloud. I've never waited to see what would happen if I left there. I imagine at some point it would have to get stuck to the screen. The question then becomes whether it would stay stuck as the drum rotates, or if it would roll back down into the water.
      Last edited by kimini; 08-12-2017 at 11:43 PM.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Poorly

With "real" RDFs, when a cleaning cycle starts, what's the difference in water level between the input and outlet side? That would answer a number of questions.
      not sure what that has to do with the problem. nobody with a blue eco or profidrum, or kc have seen this problem.

seems I have 2 inch draw down while pump is running..my.rdf has no.clumps of algae at all.

seems we can over do things..rememeber that show home improvement, more power!
      Last edited by kevin32; 08-13-2017 at 12:04 AM.

Huysy is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Here's a video inside a Red Label RDF that shows what happens to debris during the cleaning cycle. I have no idea how much flow is going through it, but it doesn't look like much because the debris is barely clinging to the screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrcUlnI1rIA

I suspect most RDFs would behave exactly the same way since their designs are so similar. Not picking on Red Label...I think their products look amazing!

If someone with an underwater camera could film their drum's cleaning while flowing close to the manufacturer's max flow rate, it would tell us if RDFs clean more efficiently with higher flow rates.

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

If I understand your comments correctly, algae isn't "forming" in my RDF, it just isn't all ending up on the screen. Instead, some just swirls around inside the drum like a cloud. I've never waited to see what would happen if I left there. I imagine at some point it would have to get stuck to the screen. The question then becomes whether it would stay stuck as the drum rotates, or if it would roll back down into the water.
      I just watched mine and the water difference inside and outside the drum was about 3 1/4" when the cleaning cycle kicks on.
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington