• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: 6 Ogata & 1 Yamazaki tosai

koinoober is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

6 Ogata & 1 Yamazaki tosai

Hi all! I picked up some tosai a month ago and I would like some opinions on a couple of them. All are from Ogata, except for the Karasugoi from Yamazaki. All are 4.5~10" but a wild guess at it's gender would be nice too!

These photos were taken in a tub while salt bathing & drip acclimating. The temperature in my quarantine tank is around 80F and the pond 70F.

Not sure if it was the temperature change or salt, but the sumi on the Sanke doitsu(10") faded very quickly(it's now back)
      I'm hoping it will keep it's "dalmatian-like" pattern, but I think the sumi is a bit concentrated on the right-side, towards the tail. Will this join and become a big splotch? I think I also see a shadow on the middle of it's head, right behind it's eyes but how long will it take for sumi to appear(if it is sumi)?

The Karasugoi doitsu(4.5") was another one that changed color while in the tub. I saw some flecks of orange on it's back and an orange hue all over it's head. Was it just the stress or do they change color according to water temperature like the Kumonryu? I hope it doesn't grow up looking like a mutt...

I'm especially interested in what color the Yamabuki Ogon(7") will develop into. I picked up the lightest color possible(as with the Soragoi 10"), but it appears a bit darker in the photos. At one point, it was difficult to tell the difference between the platinum without sufficient lighting.

The GR Chagoi(7") & GR Platinum Ogon(4.5"); I'm hoping will keep their sparkle as it grows. Although I think the Chagoi doesn't have as much ginrin on one side of the body...

And finally, my regular-scale Platinum Ogon(7") has a blue hue to it. Is this something that would be culled or possibly a rare find?
      I found these photos here on Koiphen, but could my fish turn into this? I think it's pretty interesting...
      http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/a...lue-chagoi.jpg
      http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/a...O/DSC_6521.jpg
      Attached Images Attached Images                 

koiman1950 is online now Senior Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Annoyed

The Yamabuki has the right color at an early age and appears to be pretty decent. The platinum is okay too. The Doitsu Sanke has rather weak sumi and is somewhat typical of the quality of the gosanke provided by Ogata. the Soragoi and Chagoi also look okay. The Soragoi "MIGHT" be a female but the rest appear male.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

koi4u2c is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Your regular scaled platinum with the "blue hue" as you described it, if it is the one in the last picture, appears to be a platinum matsuba. The matsuba pattern develops as the koi grows.
      Nancy

dragonfly1976 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The sanke in the first 2 pictures seems to be having a problem developing in the tail tube with the redness on it.

inazuma28 is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I think the only female is the soragoi. Also, the soragoi is my favorite fish of the bunch. The head looks a little short but that could be the angle the photos were taken from.

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly1976 View Post
      The sanke in the first 2 pictures seems to be having a problem developing in the tail tube with the redness on it.
      Are you referring to the weak beni on the left side of the ozutsu? That's not surprising at this age although most will say all the beni should be uniform in color thickness throughout, beni develops from the head to the tail and sumi from the tail to the head. Whether that's old info or not, it's still somewhat relevant today. These are not show fish by any stretch of the imagination. They are from Ogata and he sells a LOT of export quality fish that upon arrival look great because most are fed on color food for the initial sale. I've seen thousands and thousands of this breeder's fish over MANY years and the quality just doesn't impress me. I'm not trying to be koi snob here, if you want decent/good koi, then look to other breeders who have a better reputation for quality not quantity.
      Mike

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

koinoober is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the insight!

Great if the Soragoi is indeed a female, maybe I won't have to buy any Ochibas in the future lol!
      And regarding the "Platinum", I sure hope it isn't a Gin Matsuba, because I thought it was better to choose tosai that clearly have black netting all over already.
      Even though they're one of my favorites varieties, I don't like it when Matsubas and Asagis don't have pronounced netting on their back...

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Annoyed

That definitely is a matsuba. It's just very young and you don't want the netting to be fully developed at an early age. This is about what you want at this point.This hobby is all about patience and if you don't have it now, you will need to learn it soon otherwise there will be some humbling experiences headed your way.
      Mike