• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Dormant koi? What's going on?

jblueturtle17 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Dormant koi? What's going on?

I'm new to Koi and ponds in general and made a very rookie mistake.
      I've had my koi for about two weeks now. When I went about buying my equipment I was lead to believe I was buying a filter/pump combo. After about a week the water was incredibly murky, and though my own research I discovered I was lead astray, or there was a miscommunication. I went out and bought a filter and got it set up right away. It's about 3 days later and the water is back to being crystal clear. There is still some debris, but it's clear enough that I can see fish poops on the bottom of the pond. One of my fish is gone. No traces of it. So I'm fairly sure a giant blue heron that I saw a few days ago must have gotten to it. Anyway, the rest of the fish are pretty much dormant in a group every time I go out there. It's not always in the same spot, but I haven't noticed them touch any of there food in a few days and I haven't seen them swimming unless provoked to do so, so I'm starting to get worried. I did add water and treat it, but that was about a week ago now. Any clue whats going on? What I can do? I'm really hoping my mistake didn't kill my fish.

Thanks in advanced for any help.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

It was most likely that they are afraid of the big bad heron!lol Until you can protect them from it, this will continue to be the case.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary
      is hanging in there, waiting for
      warmer weather

Feeling:
      Awesome

Welcome to Koiphen!!!

You can try covering your pond with a net (get bird netting from Home Depot, they sell it in a large roll for about $12-$20). Cheaper than online. Or, a tarp or shade sail over a portion of the pond that they can hide under.

I have an aluminum, spiked fence around my pond, with about a foot clearance on the inside, for me to stand on. Not stable enough for a heron. On top of the spikes, I have a net across the pond, and on one end, a shade sail, so that they can hide, but also have something to get out of the hot sun. They utilize that end of the pond a lot!! They will come out and visit when I'm out there, because I supply the food.

If you don't have one already, you might want to consider getting a test kit, so you can test your water to make sure the accumulated waste is not causing water quality issues.

I would recommend an API master test kit, such as this, sold on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/API-FRESHWA...er+testing+kit

Along with a KH kit. KH is one of the more important parameters in a koi pond, as it tells you how stable your pH is.

https://smile.amazon.com/API-CARBONA...KH+testing+kit

And you said you notice stuff just sitting on the bottom; is there no water movement in that area? You don't want any type of waste to accumulate in one spot, as this can lead to dead zones, that accumulate nasty gases such as hydrogen sulfide, which can be deadly when disturbed. Just curious as to this point; your filtration should be moving stuff along.

Keep us posted on the above info, we can certainly help you make your pond healthy. General questions, you can ask in the main forum.
      Last edited by nmtsaki; 08-09-2017 at 08:09 PM.

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

As was mentioned, it is the big bird. Koi tend to get very scared when a predator comes around for protection they will move to the deepest part of the pond and try to hide. They don't know you from the heron and until they realize that you are the source of food, they are going to stay away from you, or anything of size near the edge. Time just sitting next to the pond, with food being thrown in periodically, will get them comfortable with you.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

velvetbone is offline Supporting Member
      is Still Learning

Feeling:
      Awesome

Welcome to Koiphen!!which part of California are you on? So far great advice!!
      V

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007