kodos is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Skimmer Injury and other things going on

Name:  Image1.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  94.6 KB

Found this little guy in my skimmer today.
      He was eating last night so this happened during the day.

It looks like fresh trauma to me - on his belly as well. (I recently treated for gill flukes). I could pull him out for a better pic but dont want to add stress if i dont have to.

I'll keep him quarantined.
      Should I salt? Something else? I read .3 ppm salt might help.

I saw another skimmer-injury post but my situation seems like more of a first aid thing. I'll look into skimmer guards as well.

Thanks for any tips
      Last edited by kodos; 08-03-2017 at 12:43 AM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

What I see is a number of scales that were probably removed in the fight with the skimmer and they show no signs of infection, but the area near the bottom appears to be older and infected. I would treat anesthetize and treat topically with iodine or peroxide and then thoroughly dry the area and rub on some triple antibiotic ointment, and then order some Tricide Neo for future treatments. Of course we like to see the numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, KH and temperature to see if there is any suggestions we can make to improve the water quality as it is very important for the water to be pristine during healing.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary
      is hanging in there, waiting for
      warmer weather

Feeling:
      Awesome

Definitely look into those skimmer guards. If you do a search here on KP in the upper right hand corner, there are a few threads on them. I just use a metal bakers rack (like those used for cooling cookies, or lifting a roast off the bottom of a pan) over mine. I use zip ties to secure them. There's about a 1" gap, so leaves can get in, but the bigger fish can't. Small fish seem to stay away.

I hope he gets better soon.

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for tips.
      I tried to treat the wound but lost the patient. He stopped breathing on the table so I tried flowing water over the gills.
      Not sure if I did something wrong or it was just too much for the little guy...
      30 drops of clove oil in 6 gallons. Waited maybe 5 minutes. Then had him out the water for less than a minute.

Here's what the wound looks like
      Name:  IMG_3823.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  107.2 KB
      Name:  IMG_3824.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  105.7 KB

The gills looked good on one side but the other had pale lines and didnt look bright. Is that what I would expect to see after treating for gill flukes last week? I've been looking at scopes - wish I hadnt stalled now.
      Name:  IMG_3828.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  78.9 KB
      Last edited by kodos; 08-03-2017 at 12:36 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yeah - that looks infected to me...

Forgot to say I'm willing to learn - so feedback is appreciated.

cindy is offline Administrator
      is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      That injury looks worse from the bottom. Sorry for your loss.

Get a skimmer guard on. Doesn't have to be fancy. Dollar Tree has cooling racks for $1 that you can tie on.

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

That is an older ulcer left untreated because it's sometimes hard to see under a fish during feeding or other routine viewing. This did NOT happen from the skimmer and I wonder if it had already gotten weak due to the infection getting into the internal organs and he somehow was pulled into the skimmer. Hard to say but no matter, this one wasn't likely to make it even with your intervention at this late point in time. While the gill looked a bit problematic, it's hard to say, but gill flukes don't just reside in the gills alone and chances are, they are what broke the skin open in the belly area and allowed the bacteria the ability to enter.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary
      is hanging in there, waiting for
      warmer weather

Feeling:
      Awesome

Sorry for your loss. I also knew when I saw that bottom wound, that it was there for quite awhile, so nothing could be done. You are in the right place to learn about helping your koi. You might want to start by reading some of the articles on the main page of the ER forum, at the top.ots of good information. Also, we are always here to answer questions. If it's not an emergency, you can post either in main, or chit chat, to get a discussion going.

It's a hard lesson, but welcome to Koiphen, I hope you stay and learn. Meanwhile, I would pull and take a closer look at any other koi you may have in the pond. It's good practice, and the fish get used to handling.

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the support !
      I hate loosing any animal thats under my care but it could have been worse.

I've had the pond running for 3 years without a problem, now it all goes haywire.
      I noticed today that my favourite fish ~14 inches has lost about 1/3 of one pectoral fin.

Im setting up a new 150 gallon qt tank today but im wondering if I should make a batch of medicated food and do a round of treatment for the whole pond. They're recovering now what I suspect was gill flukes.

Here is a short history:
      - added 2 new fish 6 weeks ago (one is the little one that just died)
      - some fish started to show symptoms (not eating, some flashing / jumping, sitting on bottom, gasping etc)
      - water test looked good. KH was a bit low
      - did shotgun treatment
      - Prazipro treatment caused some strong flashing (I think this supports the gill fluke theory)
      - water changes continue at 15%/wk
      - fish activity and appetites are not completely back to normal but improve every day
      - the problem in this thread (wound on belly and gill discoloration on one side)
      - notice loss of fin today in one fish (how did I miss that before ? too busy studying flukes)
      - maybe start 10% water changes per day for a week
      - considering medicated feed.

My amateur theory is the 2 new fish brought some pests. Shotgun was effective but everyone's systems are weakened. Some bacterial problem have started due to flukes (the fish that died and fin rot ?)

Water parameters have been consistent. This morning's numbers
      NH3 = 0
      NO2 = 0
      NO3 < 5ppm
      KH = 100
      PH = 8.2

Open to ideas. Medicated food for everyone?

Man, I just want to get to normal again. Never again will I take a fish without quarantine no matter how much I trust the source.

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Medicated food doesn't really provide the necessary protocols for treating infections as you can't really control how much of whatever medicine is in each pellet because each fish doesn't get the same exact amount of food and they are in most cases, different sizes which could require different doses of medication. Injectable antibiotics are the best way to treat. Second would be Tricide Neo dips after initial physical treatment directly on any open wounds with things like hydrogen peroxide or iodine then a protective treatment with an antibiotic cream like Lamacil or such.

The problem with not qt'ing new fish is they sometimes have bugs they are used to, but your fish are not, or vice versa. I would suspect the small fish you pictured was infected when purchased, you just missed seeing the start of whatever it had. Without a scrape/scope event, it's near impossible to even "guess" what could have caused this, but the ulceration is due to an event that allowed a break in the slime coat and skin, and allowed bacteria to enter and infect, creating the ulceration you currently see.
      Mike

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

leAnn is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sorry for your loss. beside changing water, treat, inject, hospital tank etc.. Do not feed them.

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by leAnn View Post
      Sorry for your loss. beside changing water, treat, inject, hospital tank etc.. Do not feed them.
      This was an ISOLATED case of an infected fish. The others are doing okay so why would you recommend to stop feeding them?
      Mike

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007