• Tired
  • Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2027282930313233 LastLast

Thread: blue eco problem

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by DragonFireSG View Post
      I’d suggest hose replacement once a year. The stuff gets brittle due to the UV.
      When it finally goes, it becomes an emergency.

Whilst you’re at it, do replace the screw on push fittings with better quality ones.
      I'm not using the uv so hopefully it will last longer.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

DragonFireSG is offline Senior Member
      is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by mplskoi View Post
      That sounds dreadful.
      But something I may need to consider. Does anyone know of a thread where someone walks thru this?
      And,
      has anyone ever just clamped off the line to the waste tray?
      I clamped off my waste tray line. I actually replaced the T fitting on the bottom with a plain old straight, and cut down the tube to the waste tray to avoid it getting entangled in the gears.

With good push fit fittings (the stock ones are not good) replacement of the tubing is a 10 minute job.

Replacing the push fit fittings though is not, so the first time round will involve a bit of pain. The plumbing needs to come out so you can access the base to unscrew the push fit fittings, and replace them with 100% 316L ones. The cheap plastic ones have brass parts that I suspect get a bit of surface corrosion.

I no longer have pictures, but if you'd like a walkthrough, I can do a write up.

Do you have the older model or newer model BE?

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

I clamped off my waste tray line. I actually replaced the T fitting on the bottom with a plain old straight, and cut down the tube to the waste tray to avoid it getting entangled in the gears.

With good push fit fittings (the stock ones are not good) replacement of the tubing is a 10 minute job.

Replacing the push fit fittings though is not, so the first time round will involve a bit of pain. The plumbing needs to come out so you can access the base to unscrew the push fit fittings, and replace them with 100% 316L ones. The cheap plastic ones have brass parts that I suspect get a bit of surface corrosion.

I no longer have pictures, but if you'd like a walkthrough, I can do a write up.

Im glad u address the problems.

is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
      Im glad u address the problems.
      Heh I better know the system inside out. My new pond may be running 3 modded units.
      The thing isn't pretty brand new, but it does run well with a few aftermarket parts.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Heh I better know the system inside out. My new pond may be running 3 modded units.
      The thing isn't pretty brand new, but it does run well with a few aftermarket parts.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

I hope I'm not jinxing myself but I've run the UV for about 2 1/2 years and not had any issue with the tubing... but I'd love to see
      a write up on replacing it. I think I have a newer model BE but it does have the smaller tubing connection on the underside of the
      piston unit.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

mplskoi is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I don't know which I have- older or newer. I think mine is the same as Steve/icu2 so probably the newer.
      I would like the walkthrough if you could do that for me/us. Would be handy to have if not for now then for future.
      I am also curious- I assume these are John Guest fittings? and are they likely to be metric?
      No hurry on the write up- I won't touch my BE until Friday at the soonest and I am going to clamp off the waste tray as my first attempt at solving my problem.
      I also need to replace a 4 inch ball valve that feeds my BE first. Think I will drain the pond down 18 inches, replace the valve, and then get serious about my BE.

is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Would help if you could get some pictures taken of the plumbing so I have some reference point. Most fittings in there are metric, 1/4 BSP threaded - 8mm push fit for mine, exception being the drive piston exit connection on the bottom, which for some reason is a 6mm push fit.

One reason I am seeing early UV degradation is that I relocated the UV lamp, which exposes more of the tubing to UV.

jasonir129 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I sure wish my BE had SS lines rather than the blue hose. Then I could rule out a leak in the line.
      I am surprised that no one else has noticed that the drum feels weighted on one side. If I just hand spin my drum I can feel that for a portion of a rotation it will almost spin on its own with no effort at all (about 25%) then there is a portion where it moves with just slight effort(25%) then a portion with more effort needed (again probably 25%) then slight effort for the last 25%. Those of you who have a BE- go out and hand spin it a few cycles paying close attention to how much effort it takes to keep it moving.
      I feel the weightier side too, but it's usually as the dirtier side is going up with the weight of the gunk on the screen. Remember, the section in the water is dirty while the part out of the water was just cleaned. I also have a second unused BE at my house (my buddy's mr catfish's) which is clean and it generally rolls with minimal effort all the way around.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Interesting.
      I will try to get a few pictures today of the plumbing. And I may go ahead and add those counterweights- I think that should be very easy- measure the drum and buy some threaded rod and zip tie it on.

Just musing here- I wonder if any of the DIY RDF crowd has considered driving the rotation of their drum with airlift? Imagine a drum that had on its ends something like upside down cups (upside down on the side that needs to come up) and when the drum needed to be turned a small air pump would turn on. The air pump would bubble air that would rise into the cups. And the bouyancy created by the cup full of air would lift that side and turn the drum. Think of one of those waterwheels from the 1800's that would run a mill. This would be just the reverse.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Would need a heck lot of bubbles to move an RDF drum that’s a little sticky. If it were mounted with ceramic bearings it might work... but darn those bearings are pricey for the size that an RDF would use.

I’ll be travelling this week. Will look to do writeup on the plumbing when I am back in town.

Kathy is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

We have the older BE unit that's been running about 3 months now with numerous problems. Very frustrating. One of the big issues was due to the blue 8mm hose cracking in numerous places. Replaced most of it. Another problem we've experienced is the float cylinder not popping up so spray bar runs constantly and potable water drains out the waste tray. We learned a container load of BE units was dropped and damaged during shipment. These were rebuilt and sold as new. I'm thinking we have one of these as screws were loose, nuts were sitting on the bottom of the unit; the arm that holds the float cylinder was bent; the drum was shifted to one side and rubbing on the waste tray; the list goes on. It's been a nightmare given what we paid for it. When it does works, the water clarity is great. Hopefully, we can get the BE to work properly.

Looking forward to the write up!

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy View Post
      We have the older BE unit that's been running about 3 months now with numerous problems. Very frustrating. One of the big issues was due to the blue 8mm hose cracking in numerous places. Replaced most of it. Another problem we've experienced is the float cylinder not popping up so spray bar runs constantly and potable water drains out the waste tray. We learned a container load of BE units was dropped and damaged during shipment. These were rebuilt and sold as new. I'm thinking we have one of these as screws were loose, nuts were sitting on the bottom of the unit; the arm that holds the float cylinder was bent; the drum was shifted to one side and rubbing on the waste tray; the list goes on. It's been a nightmare given what we paid for it. When it does works, the water clarity is great. Hopefully, we can get the BE to work properly.

Looking forward to the write up!
      The first model seemed to be the worst and not to be sugar coated. The water quality is great as with most rdf but lots of weak points with the blue eco rdf imo.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Edit. Double post
      Last edited by kevin32; 03-25-2018 at 07:01 PM.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Does anyone use a airstone to keep some of the junk from settling on the bottom of the drum? Watched a video and a guy was using an air stone inside his profidrum. I already have more air in my pond than I want so I can just tee off a line for a smaller air stone

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I am going to wet vac mine out next weekend when I do some plumbing changes. I think you could use some hose and create a siphon and use that to vacuum the bottom. At our koi show 2 years ago we did that to some of our blue tanks that got residue on the bottom. It was surprisingly effective. I also think you could just use your garden hose and supply water and stir it up. RDF should catch it on the next pass.

Huysy is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I use an airstone on mine. It stirs everything up and keeps the input side clean. What settles at the bottom are heavier things like little pebbles and koi teeth.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Huysy View Post
      I use an airstone on mine. It stirs everything up and keeps the input side clean. What settles at the bottom are heavier things like little pebbles and koi teeth.
      Cool. I'll give it a try.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

I am going to wet vac mine out next weekend when I do some plumbing changes. I think you could use some hose and create a siphon and use that to vacuum the bottom. At our koi show 2 years ago we did that to some of our blue tanks that got residue on the bottom. It was surprisingly effective. I also think you could just use your garden hose and supply water and stir it up. RDF should catch it on the next pass.
      Oh that works also. I have plenty of air on hand so I'm just going to drop a couple of aquarium stones in there

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

I've never seen anything sitting in the bottom of my drum but I have to ask, how do you run the airline that still
      allows the drum to turn?
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2027282930313233 LastLast