• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Help with purchase ....Matsue Nisai Kohaku

daboyman4 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Help with purchase ....Matsue Nisai Kohaku

Hello all ... this koi will be my new purchase however I'm two minds about it ... she's a Matsue @ 55cm 2 years old and the price is very good but here's the bad part .. she has a small shimmy on her back I'd like to know if the shimmy will disappear or do I have to take it off myself ? The fish is priced at $650 ... I'd like to know if this is a good purchase ... will she grow big ? Skin ? Beni?

Please let me know what you guys think

Thanks a lot for looking

Name:  IMG_7817.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  46.1 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

inazuma28 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The price is relative... but i think $650 is well within the "fair" ballpark. The body is strong but may be a bit short. Its hard for me to tell because the picture was taken from in front of the fish. The pattern is simple yet beautiful. The skin looks quite dull and one dimensional. It could be the photo, but the skin, beni, and shiroji lack luster and depth.As for the shimi.... Im not experienced enough to respond. All i know is that i have a kohaku with a shimi that im to chicken to take off with a dremel and the shimi has not gone away... in fact, it has gotten bigger. RECAP: body (check) pattern (check) skin quality and color (questionable)

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

I think it's your monitor and yes, a picture will sometimes make a fish look "flat" simply because a flash is/isn't used.

As to the shimi, you'd want to see if it is deep rooted into the skin/scale or if it's just on the surface. If it's on the surface, you should be able to scrape it off with your fingernail. If not, you'd most likely need to put it to sleep and with the gentle use of a sharply pointed scalpel, remove it with a swirl/rotating action of the scalpel. Make sure you get to the root base of the shimi or it will come back. Once done, use some antibacterial/antifungal cream like lamacil, work it into the wound and allow to dry for a couple minutes before returning the fish to the water. Oh, and MS222 works much better than clove oil here.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by inazuma28 View Post
      The price is relative... but i think $650 is well within the "fair" ballpark. The body is strong but may be a bit short. Its hard for me to tell because the picture was taken from in front of the fish. The pattern is simple yet beautiful. The skin looks quite dull and one dimensional. It could be the photo, but the skin, beni, and shiroji lack luster and depth.As for the shimi.... Im not experienced enough to respond. All i know is that i have a kohaku with a shimi that im to chicken to take off with a dremel and the shimi has not gone away... in fact, it has gotten bigger. RECAP: body (check) pattern (check) skin quality and color (questionable)
      Thank you for the reply ... I think I will take it regardless of the shimmy ... it's my first year in koi keeping and I guess it could be an experimental fish ... the price of the fish was originally triple that, the dealer told me that it was guaranteed female and that the parents are over 90cm ... she was born in 2015 and has grown as quick as her more expensive siblings ... which are currently sellling for over 2500$ ... so as I have bought before and the fish has a shimmy ... he offered it at 650$ ... If this fish is really from a good bloodline and does show signs of being big ... I can have a better understanding of how much i can push it in my 2000 imp Gallon pond ... I've got 7 fish in there at the moment and enough filtration for a well stock 5000G pond.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      I think it's your monitor and yes, a picture will sometimes make a fish look "flat" simply because a flash is/isn't used.

As to the shimi, you'd want to see if it is deep rooted into the skin/scale or if it's just on the surface. If it's on the surface, you should be able to scrape it off with your fingernail. If not, you'd most likely need to put it to sleep and with the gentle use of a sharply pointed scalpel, remove it with a swirl/rotating action of the scalpel. Make sure you get to the root base of the shimi or it will come back. Once done, use some antibacterial/antifungal cream like lamacil, work it into the wound and allow to dry for a couple minutes before returning the fish to the water. Oh, and MS222 works much better than clove oil here.
      Hi hands for the reply ... I'm gonna take it to see how it goes ... it's not often you see a 55cm Matsue Kohaku for that price and thank you for the advice on the shimmy .. I've not seen the shimmy yet but if the dealer has reduced the fish that much then the chances are he can't correct it either ....I'll know when I actually go to pick up the fish soon ...

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Typo error "Thanks"

OCkoiFan is offline Supporting Member
      is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

Only you know your pond, water and fish better than anyone else. Give her some quality food and care and she will be the queen of your pond.
      M.Nguyen

Devan is offline Member
      is Feeling happy

Feeling:
      Cool

What a beauty❤️

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007