• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: "Pond"ering

matherfish is online now Senior Member
      is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

Today I have been thinking about the names of plants. For years I have bought plants for our home's landscaping, and most of the time I did not keep up with the "variety" of the plants I bought. It did not matter to me, I just liked the look. I believe that most of the ponders who come on Koiphen are that way. Most only have a few varieties of plants and many do not have room for a lot of plants. These people who enjoy the hobby but are not consumed by it. I want to say to those people, "thank you!" You provide many great assets to our hobby. I wonder if many of our "non-members" who view on KP as guests do not sign up to be members because they can not contribute to the program. They may think that they only have a small pond, or only a few fish, or their fish are only mutts, etc. If you are one of these people, please understand that you are important to our hobby. Your questions help us to ponder new answers, share new information, or even remind us of old information. Your experiences also remind us of our own experiences throughout our years in the hobby.
      We should not expect everyone to know the names of every plant. there are thousands of named water lilies alone. I understand the frustration because, although I have had koi for years, I do not know the names of the varieties. If you are someone who wants to keep up with the identity of your plants, that is great. But if you only want to know it is a red bloom or a pink bloom, etc. that is good also. We only ask that you not try to identify your plant later because it looks like something that you have seen. It is better to call it a "red blooming hardy" as to say it is "Attraction" when it may be a "Burgundy Princess." Many plants are very similar so identifying one is not easy unless you have a great difference in your varieties. Obviously, if you have a yellow "Charlene Strawn" and a pink "Pink Sensation" and a white "Perry's Double White" but you call them red, pink and white you can still distinguish them if you have kept the names somewhere. If you have Joey Tomicek, Sunrise and Sulphurea the id is not easy. For the vast majority of ponders, you want the plant you get to be the plant you wanted, but since you are not planning on reselling them remembering the names is unimportant. If the pics are in the correct order, you will see Joey Tomicek, Sunrise and Suphurea.
      I have plants that I call "lost tags," and sell them as such. They are "named" varieties of plants that because of various factors, the name tags have faded or something has happened to the tags, and I am not sure of which exact variety the plant is. Lots of ponders like the "surprise lily" as they are sold at a lower cost. Almost every wholesaler, especially hybridizers, sell unnamed lilies according to color of bloom. These are generally the plants that came from their hybrids that they did not think were worth naming. They are what might be called "culls" or "seconds" in other industries. I am not disparaging them, but pointing out the difference between a "lost tag" and these lilies. When I look at the beautiful blooms of tMike's lilies and he tells me that many of them will be culled out, I am looking for his garbage bin! I understand his not wanting to put anything but the best into the hobby, but I do not envy his having to make those decisions.
      So as I look at the assortment of lilies in my ponds, I am reminded of the vast variety of plants in our hobby and appreciate the tremendous number of ponders with small or larger ponds whose interest in the hobby has created the desire and accessibility of all of these varieties.
      Happy "pond"ering!
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      Sunfire Hardy Water Lily now available
      See my Pro Seller store on Koiphen

“People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care”
      ― Zig Ziglar

Koiphen 2019 Koi Person of the Year!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

Today's thoughts are on creating hybrids. We are enjoying the rewards of the creation of hybrids with the parentage of a hardy, and a tropical lily, unheard of just a few years ago.
      I was in a discussion a few days ago with a few hybridizers and we were discussing various varieties to try crossing and the result we would hope to obtain. I am partial to reds, so that was on my mind when I suggested a few crosses to hopefully get a true red HXT. Since then, I have thought about what would be the perfect hybrid lily.
      In hybridizing roses, for instance, they have not only tried to create larger blooms, or new colors, or multi-petaled blooms, but they have also bred for more disease resistant varieties. Other plants have been hybridized to enhance certain traits as well.
      Wouldn't it be great, though impossible, if we could create a hybrid from a lily crossed with a citronella plant that would not only have a beautiful bloom, but would survive in a pond, and keep mosquitoes away? Or maybe a cross between a marigold plant and a lily that would keep China Marker moths away, keeping the cursed "sandwich man" worms from our ponds? Maybe it would keep aphids away as well!
      But as I ponder and return to reality, what would a perfect lily look like? Our answers would probably be a varied as the number of lilies already in existence and beyond. There is no "universal" perfect choice.
      Sure, I am dreaming of the impossible, but isn't it pleasant to think about? What would you like for your "perfect" lily to be?
      Happy "pond'ering!

― Zig Ziglar

little_mikey is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The pursuit of so many different perfect waterlilies is evident in the wide variety of hybrids out there. Most people have a different "secret sauce" they like to use. Ampla makes massive tough hybrids... Aussie capensis can make nice mottling... Flavovirens for cold tolerance/ flower height...

I am partial to minuta. Also like my blue gigantea. Also like flavovirens... My goal is to make a lily for any idiot with a tub basically. I want to make a lily that is easy/compact. I also want to make a lily that has its own merits besides ease/size... a show stopper in its own right.

I like Dauben... but the reason it sticks around is its ease of care. It doesn't hold a matchstick to Red Flare. I find it hard to pick a favorite, but I rather like Foxfire. Foxfire also overwinters better than many lilies yet it can go a few rounds with Aussies and Victorias in terms of being a show stopper.

I suppose in a fantasy world I would have the ISG progeny of Arcen Ciel and some red/pink viviparous tropical...

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

Mikey your comment as to an Arc-en-ciel cross has caused me to think about that today. An HXT cross with Arc-en-ciel looking pad would be fantastic, but I have not known of any full hardy crosses that have produced pads like the Arc-en-ciel pads.

Today's thoughts also include the preparation of the minuta seedlings for the winter. These dainty little plants require a long time to grow to maturity and from what I understand, they take more than a season so need to continue growing over the winter. They have been placed in an aquarium, and I will put an aquarium heater in with them to keep them warm since they will be in my garage. Contemplating how that plants have to be treated according to their own needs and individual characteristics. I think about how often gardeners try to force plants to behave according to what is convenient for the gardener and then wonder why the plant died or did not flourish.

I am also thinking about this coming winter. our last two winters have been moderate and some are concerned about this winter, expecting it to be harsh. Guess if we prepare for the worse we can rejoice with if it does not happen. I wonder how many here on KP use animals and insects and their behavior as a way to predict the winter weather? will you tell us about it and what you are seeing?
      Happy "pond"ering!

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

My 'pond"erings today deal with the need to recognize the uniqueness of ponding. As you can tell from many posts in "water gardening" here on KP, there are some plants that have been adapted to grow in ponds that are not naturally pond plants. Impatiens are among them. Banana plants are plants that like a frequent watering, but they are not truly water plants, but some varieties have been "trained" to grow in shallow water in pots. Some varieties of taro, or Elephant Ears, can grow in pots in shallow water, but other varieties cannot. Imperial Taro is an example of a taro that can grow in water, but Mickey Mouse taro is not, although it likes frequent watering. Can you just throw any land plant on the ground and expect it to grow? Of course not! You must consider its needs and try to meet them.

Pondering these things caused me to think about how many people confuse pond plants with land plants. I have seen people on Facebook and on water plant forums ask if plants such as lilies and lotuses can grow without being in soil. Can they grow simply as floaters? The nature of these plants is to grow in soil. They set roots in soil and get nutrients from them. How different that is from tiny floating plants such as azolla or duck weed, which grow simply floating on the water. Water hyacinth will grow and survive floating on the water, but if its roots can reach soil, it will take root in the soil. If there are sufficient nutrients in the water, it is perfectly content and happy to just float!

I have found tubers growing in muck in the bottom of a pond, having been knocked out of a pot. I have had hardy lilies jump pot and grow in the muck in the bottom of a pond, as also I have had a lotus do this. But all of these still had roots growing in a medium, and were not simply growing in water without a soil of some kind for the plant to take root in. I would not deliberately just throw a tuber into a tub of water, even aged water, and expect it to grow. it may sprout and try to grow, but that is it's survival mechanism. It will not survive long, nor will it flourish and become the plant it could be.

With this in mind, as you consider closing down your pond for the winter, consider the plants you want to survive and have next year. What are their needs and characteristics, and what will you need to do to make them happy? Make plans now to meet those needs.

Happy "Pond"ering!
      Last edited by matherfish; 10-06-2017 at 12:16 AM.

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

Yesterday I went to a local independent aquarium store that also has pond fish and plants. While there, I saw they had four large Plecostomus for sale. These fish are used in aquariums because they are great algae eaters. They act much like catfish but they feed largely on algae. The large fish they had at the pet store were far too big for a normal aquarium as these were about 18 inches long and 6 inches across. They reminded me of one I had several years ago that I put in my pond.
      I would love to have one or two of these in each of my larger ponds to help keep algae out. My problem with my former inhabitant is that at the end of summer I had to take it out as they are a tropical fish and cannot live in cold water. I moved it into a pond in the greenhouse and put heaters in with it but it did not survive the winter. I guess the temperature of the water dropped too much, especially at night. My thoughts of this made me ask myself if maybe other have these fish in their ponds. Are you in areas where your pond water stays warm, or do you take them out and put them in a container for the winter? It would be nice not to have to use chemicals to fight algae and have a natural algae fighter. I know many use uv lights but those are expensive and many owners of smaller ponds or multiple ponds do not use them.
      Just pondering solutions for some of our ponding questions.
      Keep on "pond"ering!

― Zig Ziglar

little_mikey is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

@matherfish
      Do plecos eat lilies? I know they rasp algae off surfaces of plants and do damage, but do they outright attack plants? They have a nice "prehistoric" appeal with all the armor. I like bichirs (air breathing fish from Africa) personally. Plecos are feral in Florida. They only tend to freeze to death in small ponds where the temps spike. In the rivers/retention areas they do ok.

I have been reflecting on the planning it takes to get waterlilies going. Particularly winter prep. I think about winter in July. Hybridizing is a whole other level of prep. One has to grow sufficient biomass of each parent for the cross to get more chances of simultaneous blooms... Then one has to have the space to raise the seedlings. There is no way to predict which seedlings are the 2% that are useful... Its a real investment. Then other folks by the time they get the resources to hybridize, they already have acquired such a collection they are too busy to make crosses. Like if somebody gets their hands on N. thermarum or other rare species material they will be falling all over themselves to keep that stuff overwinter, when will they have time to make crosses? Really wish there were more people in the hobby so some of the responsibility in regard to keeping rare material going was diffused a bit.

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

Mikey, I do not believe the plecos eat plants. Eating the algae off of the plants probably reveals the damage to the plant that the algae does to it. I never noticed the pleco eating my lilies when I had the big one in my pond.

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

My thoughts today as I worked in the greenhouse were concerning the plants for the aquariums. I have tropical fish in the kiddie ponds during the summer to eat mosquito larvae, and move them into aquariums during the winter so that they can be heated. It is also a good place to put some plants, especially lilies, to hopefully get some growth during the winter. The fish I have are mollies, platys, guppies and swordtails. This year I have added dwarf gouramis.

In a trade with Lil-_Mikey, I received some minuta seeds and some amazonum seeds. I planted the seeds about two months ago, and they sprouted great! Both of these varieties must be extremely slow growers, because I still do not have a plant with a floating pad. There are over 100 minuta plants, and about 30 amazonum, and none have a floating pad! Because of this, they need to continue growing through the winter.

The dwarf gourami need to be able to get gulps of air from above the surface of the water, so the aquariums with them in it cannot have the water's surface covered with lily pads, but the fish are bubble nest builders and need floating leaves on the water's surface to build their bubble nest under. This seems like a great combination for aquarium buddies, the minuta and the dwarf gouramis. The minuta do not get big so their pads are not huge, but the pots also give the gouramis places to hide behind. The floating pads (when I get them ) will be a good place for the fish to build their nests. I hope I am right in doing this.

Isn't it amazing that I have to plot all of these things out, but in nature they are already worked out? As ponders we have to reproduce what nature does naturally. The satisfaction is worth all of the effort.

Keep on "pond"ering!

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

I am on Facebook, and noticed recently a thread about how many more days it is until Thanksgiving and how many more days until Christmas. For some reason, I started thinking about that today. For some, Christmas is coming too soon, and for others, it is not soon enough. For me, I started thinking that frosts are only about a month away, but that March is only 4 months away.

I will have to start harvesting tropical lily tubers in a few weeks to get them in before a hard frost. It is a lot of work, but it is also enjoyable. It is like going through clams or oysters looking for a pearl. Going through the pots I still get excited finding tubers among the roots, and I get really excited when I find numerous tubers, especially if it is a "special" lily. Not many clams produce pearls, but most tropical lilies will have produced a tuber, so the search is rewarding!

But my pondering continued to the fact that March is not far away. I do not look forward to winter, and am happy when it is gone. I know, some people like it, but I am not one of them. I love the look of snow on the ground, icicles on the waterfalls, etc., but do not like the cold. Did I mention I do not like the freezing cold?

But late February, and March is the time when things start waking up. Daffodils and Tulips start showing their heads through the snow or ground. It is also when I start dividing lotuses and, as I had in October/November, get the joy of discovering the tubers in the lotus tubs. Just as the lily tubers had represented the promise of lilies for the next year, the lotus tubers offer the promise of those gorgeous lotus blooms throughout the summer.

So, no matter how you look at it, it will not be long before the ritual starts all over again, and once again, we get to POND!

Until then, keep "pond"ering!

― Zig Ziglar

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

My thinking today led me to remind myself to thank you for reading this thread, so I want to say " thank you." I have enjoyed writing it.

Also "pond"ering today, I decided that I should explain something. I know there is no actual word "ponding" in the dictionary, but I think there should be. I would define it as "the act of owning, or caring for, or tending to a pond." A "ponder" is one "who owns, cares for, or tends to a pond." And "pondering," which is a legitimate word, currently means considering or "mulling over" something, should have an additional meaning, "thinking, considering or meditating on ponds." Since I am not the editor of a dictionary, nor do I work for a place that produces dictionaries, I have no ability to add these to the list of "new" words which are added each year. That doesn't mean they will never be added, it just means I can't be the one to add them. However, I will continue to use them even if they are not added.

This is true of the word "pic" also. If it has been added to the list of legitimate words, I am not aware of it. It is an abbreviation of the word picture, but I like to use the word as a word, not as an abbreviation. This thought also reminds me of something I have heard in the past. Why is the action of reducing a long word to a shortened form called an abbreviation, a long word in itself?

My thoughts, as I was meandering through my mind , also brought me to the thoughts again as to how much joy our ponds bring us. We do not need PhDs in science, biology, botany, chemistry or even degrees in aquatics, genetics, medicine (fish do get sick, you know ), insects, regulations and whatever else I have missed. Despite this, we all have learned some of each of these things in knowing how to deal with the success of our ponds. I have mentioned that we can share our knowledge with others, but have you stopped to "ponder" how much you know that you can share with others who might be casually or seriously asking questions about ponding? From pond construction, to water purification and flow, to water testing to cleaning and maintenance, to repair and finally to caring for its inhabitants, both aquatic and flora, we have experienced and studied and gained information.

So, with your ego swelling, enjoy your "pond"ering!
      Last edited by matherfish; 10-12-2017 at 12:26 AM.

― Zig Ziglar

Koigrl is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD
      is is cheerful.

Feeling:
      Cool

Pondering is not just for humans...

Wut? What just happened?

She's fine now.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Ki Shusui Project : 300k Challenge : 500k Build : Flock Spawn Jamboree : Our Ki Midori Champions

Ten minute video of Russ Peters sexing our future ki shusui oyagoi. : http://youtu.be/AhROs1cjC18

Updated for the 2018 Harvest: What is "ki shusui?" Short version http://www.kishusui.com

Twelve seconds that are the entire point of the last seven years!
      https://youtu.be/zNqTJgM3lpY

If you're reading this, you're on Team Ki.
      Kichi loves company. Max

K-POTY 2014

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

Nice looking frog koigrl. Was that the only one in the pond? Thanks for sharing!
      Today's pondering pertains to over wintering plants. On various threads here on KP there have been lots of good ideas as to keeping our plants alive over the winter. I was thinking that maybe a post with the ideas in one place might be helpful, so, I thought, why not try?

One of the suggestions for tubs or smaller containers that are above the ground is to cover the top with clear plastic, the thicker the better. This gives the greenhouse effect. Keeping the plastic held on is easier with bungee cords, but you could also tie a rope or cord around the tub to hold it on, but it is hard to get it as tight as a bungee cord would. the plastic allows the heat to be built up in the tub and helps retain it. Packing bags of mulch or sand or soil around the outside of the tub would also help helps insulate the tub to keep the cold from getting into the pot as easy, and helps keep the heat in.

For bigger ponds you might want to consider building frames that could be covered with plastic sheeting to make "cold frames" covering your pond. The frames can be made of pvc pipe because of its flexibility, and available fittings, but remember that you need to construct the frame so that it will not break in snowstorms or strong winds. A few pipes might hold the plastic up, but may not hold in bad weather. If available, wood poles or bamboo poles can also be used instead of pvc.

You will want all "frames" to have enough "pitch" so that snow or rain runs off and does not "puddle" up or build up and crush your structure into your pond.

To build the frame, you might consider doing some of these things:

If your pond is an in-ground one, figure how you will do your "ribs" and how many you will need. Then, mark on the ground where your ribs will stand. Then dig small holes just a little bigger than the size of the pipe you are going to use. Put a piece of pipe big enough to fit the "rib" into, into the ground, and cut off even with the ground. It needs to be 8" deep or deeper. This way you can drop your "rib" pipe into the ground pipe to hold it in the ground. Use fittings to keep it tight. Bend your rib pipe if possible, so that it reaches the other side, putting two pipes together with coupler if needed. This keeps any sharp points from being at the top. Tie or tape all of your pipes together at the top. Depending on the size of the pond, you may need to put supports horizontally as well. This can be done by cutting the ribs and using couples, put short pieces of pipe between the ribs. this helps to 'stiffen" up the frame. The larger the diameter the pipe, the sturdier it is, but instead of "bending" the pipe you may have to use couplers to form it, such as 45* angle couplers.

If you pond is in a wooden frame above ground, you can simple attach the pieces of pvc to the outside of your pond using duct strapping, and place the rib ends into the holders, or get the formed metal pipe holders and put them on the outsides, and do the same thing for the frame mentioned in the previous paragraph.

Lastly, if you have a plastic pond above ground, you may want to glue the holders onto the outside of your pond., or build frame and put in place by doing the same thing as suggested for in ground ponds. Whether wooden or plastic, it would help to also put bags of mulch, sand or soil all around the outside bottom of the pond.

All of these suggestions are made with the idea that they can be repeated year after year using the same rib holders and ribs. Save you frame pieces to be re-used also. Remember also, the thicker the plastic, the better it holds up. Use nails, tape or bungee cords etc., to attach the plastic cover.

Maybe I have given you some ideas to think about, or to ponder over! I hope I have not confused you.
      Keep on "pond"ering!

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

Okay, so I didn't work in the greenhouse today, but even though it is late, I still need to get out there. I was busy today and did not put fuel in the heater to help keep the greenhouse somewhat warm so the aquarium heaters would not have to work so hard. it will not get down cold enough to hurt the plants, but the tropical fish in the aquariums do not want to get cold.

So what is the pondering all about today? Sundays are busy for me with church and church related activities, so there has not been a lot of time to ponder the pond. But I did have a few thoughts.

I mainly thought about the large number of tubers that I have and that if I had reduced my inventory more, I would have less work. you are correct if you are thinking that is a "no-brainer." The problem is, it is a little late now. I will need to store everything for the winter and hope to do a better job next year.

Talking with a friend today who raises cattle, I was told that they cut hay three times a year to get at least 500 large round bales of hay to feed their cattle during the winter. I started thinking of just how much room you would have to have to store that much hay. I know it is not the same, but it did make me appreciate the fact that it does not take a lot of room to store tubers. It is all in perspective, I know, and I am not comparing the two things, except for this one fact. It is easier to store tubers than hay, and in a lot smaller space.

Have fun with your pond, and enjoy the hobby! Keep on "pond"ering! I am off to fill the heater.

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

Today's "pond"ering concerns the storing of tropical marginal plants. I have several different kinds of marginal or bog plants that I need to store over the winter each year. I have these plants potted up and in shallow ponds throughout the growing season. Plants, such as taro, canna, and thalia, get large but cannot be left outside in the cold. I have continued to leave them in the ponds in their pots throughout the winter, but I have been thinking about ways to condense their need for space.
      My first thoughts are that I could maybe cut the "plant" off and store just the 'tuber," much like I do the tropical lily tubers. I know that retail stores sell elephant ears in boxes that contain the tuber or bulb. I am not sure how that would work on water taro.
      I know that there is a large difference between the different types of marginals. They do not have the same characteristics, nor the same structure and needs. Plants such as dwarf papyrus and dwarf umbrella are very different from taro and cannas. I believe that if I cut the greenery off, the root mass would put up new leaves next year, but have not done that in the past and do not know if it would kill the plant.
      Some of you may have done some things to store your plants and think that it is common knowledge. I have not researched books and the internet to find suggestions, so I am thinking that I need to do that.
      What do you do with your plants during the winter? Share with us what has worked and what has not worked if you will.
      In the meantime, keep "pond"ering!

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

Do you think it is time for me to stop posting on this thread? I know that many are closing up their ponds for the winter, so the interest is down, although I still see many readers of the posts. It is getting cooler quick here, so there is lots to do before winter, but not a lot of exciting things to write about.
      There are still a few lily blooms, but they will soon be gone as we will be harvesting tubers. The seedlings in the aquariums are interesting, but they are not growing quick enough to garner any excitement very often. So far I have readied over 300 bags of tubers that were not planted out this year by taking the tubers and cleaning them and putting them in fresh sand. Still have almost that many left to do before pulling tubers that are in pots. I am lily obsessed, I know!
      I acquired several new varieties of ISG lilies this summer, and am excited about seeing them mature and bloom next year! Blooms are always exciting each year, but new acquisitions are always a bonus. I think everyone feels that way.
      So, on a slow day, happy "pond"ering!
      Last edited by matherfish; 10-24-2017 at 11:10 AM.

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

I posted some pics of lotus leaves that re dying back for the winter on a separate thread, but wanted to mention them since they were in my thoughts this morning. Here, in Tennessee, the leaves are turning and falling from the trees. The fall colors of the leaves are beautiful, , the mess they make in the pond is not.
      The changing of the leaves reminded me of the various differences in the color of the leaves in the pond plants. The taro are a great example. The lime green, emerald green, deep purple that is almost black, the marbled, the splotched, the veined, all add different splotches of color to your pond landscape. These can also be used in land landscapes.
      Canna are another variety of plants that offer a variety of color and look. The Bengal Tiger canna has stripped leaves, and there are various colors of leaves as well as blooms to be found. Again, these can also be used in land landscaping.
      So my thoughts today are on the diversity of plants that can be used in our ponds or landscaping. There is also a great thread on KP on adapting impatiens to be used in ponds! Step out and try the different, the unusual, and the unique looks of ponding. You do not have to find the rare, expensive, or strange plants to make your pond unique or colorful.
      Happy "pond"ering!
      Last edited by matherfish; 10-26-2017 at 05:34 PM.

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

Well, today has been busy, and winter is breathing on us. I am wondering if I will get everything done in time. It is going to be back down in the low 30s Saturday and Sunday night, so I am guessing we could have a frost, and all of my tropical lily tubers are outside still. I am thinking that tomorrow I will cover the tubs with tarps which will help hold heat in the tubs and keep the frost off.
      Today, we cut the banana trees down. The basjoo bananas still have a stump about foot tall, but I will cut them down to the ground tomorrow and mulch over them. It is hard to believe they will grow back to 16 foot tall in a year.
      We did start pulling some of the tropical lilies today, but only pulled 29 bags today.
      Happy "pond"ering!

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

Today's ponderings consist of the readiness for winter. It seems that every time I think I have eliminated some things from the list, more things seem to pop up. There is always more to get done than I have on my list. Like most of you, I not only have to get the greenhouse ready, but also my house. It will be warming up for a few days after today, so I will take advantage of the opportunity and get more done, hopefully.
      There are still lots of tropical lily tubers to be harvested, but hopefully that will be finished today. I also have a place in the plastic over the greenhouse that will have to be repaired before winter. I do not want to be out on a freezing night in the rain trying to repair the roof. Hopefully, that will be done this week also.
      On a better note, I was looking at the H X T lilies this week and it looks like they are all doing well. I am hoping that many of them will grow substantially this year and produce many of those beautiful blooms. I also expect to have a few for sale if anyone is interested.
      Thinking of selling reminds me that I need to mention something. Purple Fantasy, a FAN creation, is a patented plant. It cannot be propagated for sale, trade or give away for 20 years from the patent date. Dealers who have bought them from FAN can resale them legally. I may have a few of these available this year that were not sold last year.
      As you are putting your ponds to bed for the winter, and your thoughts are now on Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, I again remind you to "keep on 'pond'ering!"

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

With Halloween a thing of the past by a day, we now turn our attention to Thanksgiving, even if it is while Christmas music is playing. today's thoughts are concerning being thankful.
      Many times we get so caught up in our busy lives that we fail to appreciate what we have currently. We have goals and maybe even have mapped out a path to that goal. I started thinking about that as I pondered today. I have mentioned many times the joy of having a pond as a place to go and release stress, as well as a place to go and think.
      Today I remind myself how fortunate I am to still be able to work in my ponds. I may not can work as long or as hard as I did 20 years ago, but I am still able to "play in the mud." I am thankful for friends I have made while ponding, and some of them have had to fill in their ponds because they are no longer able to care for them. I know that having to give up their beloved hobby was hard on them, much like having to have a pet put down because of their health problems. I know that at some point I will have to cut back on my hobby, but each time I start to think about which plants I should get rid of, I cannot decide. Ones that are not the showiest, or the most popular would seem to be easiest to say goodbye to, but they aren't. I guess I am a plant hoarder, because I think if I get rid of it I will later wish I still had it. At times in the past I have had plants that I lost and have not replaced, and then had someone ask me if I have it. I then think to myself, if someone else sees something worthwhile in it, what did I miss?
      I am then reminded of the uniqueness of plants. That is why different varieties have different names. It gives us a way to identify them. I have many red lilies, for instance, but each variety has an identifying name, and each variety is different. I enjoy the variations and differences.
      Until the time comes when I have to give up the hobby, I hope to be thankful daily for the health that allows me to maintain it, and to be able to continue "pond"ering each day as well.

― Zig Ziglar

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast