Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Pond"ering

matherfish
    Very thankful for friends!
    In the "chit chat" section of the forum, Icu2 started a thread entitled "Emergency water source." This thread is an interesting read for every ponder. I know many of us do not read sections of the forum that we do not feel have information pertaining to our interests, but this is something for everyone to think about that has a pond. I am not sure of the actuality of there being such a case, but the information is worth knowing, as I have been 'pondering" these things.
    Most of us are familiar with the problems found with the drinking water in Flint, Michigan. There are similar problems throughout the US in some smaller towns. I recently was made of a small town here in Tennessee where a friend of mine lives. Their water is brown or gray. My friend does not drink the water, nor does her family, but they must use the water for bathing and washing. There have also been times when water shortages caused communities to enforce water rationing. Perhaps we need to be aware of "alternate" water sources!
    Now, here are some of my thoughts as to this possibility.
    If we start using our ponds for water sources (which I assume would only be done as a necessity) we would need to make provisions for our fish friends, if the need for our use of the water lasted very long. What would you do with your fish? Would the result be that many would be released into the public waterways, which would also be short of water also? If we use out ponds for drinking water, what other decisions must we make? Should we share our water with our neighbor who laughed at us for having a pond? Which friends or relatives will you share your water with?
    If water becomes scarce, food may be also. Steve's thread jokingly asked for ways to cook koi, but you might want to know what pond plants are edible.
    Obviously, the answer to this possibility is for everyone to build additional ponds and bigger ponds. Perhaps because it is easier to give up plants than fish, we need to build more ponds to have at least one pond that is plants only, water source dedicated. Maybe plant more of edible pond plants?
    Before you go grabbing a shovel or hiring a backhoe, today's ponderings are written tongue in cheek. Steve's thread is still good to know, and worth reading. Just giving you some needless, fun thoughts to ponder on a Friday!
    Sunfire Hardy Water Lily now available
    [/B]
    See my Pro Seller store on Koiphen[B]

TN Department of Agriculture Inspected and Certified
    for over 15 years!

“People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care”
    ― Zig Ziglar

matherfish
    Today is Saturday, and the wife and I went out to lunch and then we visited a few stores looking for ideas on our next home project. We plan on updating one of our bathrooms. We were looking for ideas for free standing bathtubs and vessel sinks. We found some, but the hardware is even harder to find. The scarcity of these made we wonder if they are as popular as we thought, and also, are they still popular?
    Remember when people collected Avon bottles and Beanie Babies? Popular hobbies at the time, not so now. Did you collect baseball cards or postage stamps? Now some of those are worth lots of money! Regardless of our hobbies, we become involved because we enjoy it, regardless of its value.
    So, my pondering brings me to this. Every year there are new plant hybrids created. There are also at times, new species discovered. This keeps the avid collector excited, but for most ponders, they are content to enjoy the plants they have, and if they get a "new" plant, it does not have to be the latest "new" variety. They know that most people who view their pond are not even aware of 'new' hybrids. And even more important, new does not mean more beautiful. We chose the design of our pond and its surrounding to please us. We see our ponds more than anyone else.
    I have bought plants because they were new to me, and then found out they were not actually pond plants. I have bought lilies because they were new varieties, only to later discover they were not all that great! The nice thing is, we can do our ponds like we do our house. We can remodel, redecorate, or re-accessorize! If you are happy that is what is important! Share your joy!
    [/B]

for over 15 years!

― Zig Ziglar

matherfish
    Shark week! The very sound of it brings memories and anticipation to our minds. And of course, who can forget the tune we heard as "Jaws" was coming into view. I watched "The Shallow" last night, another "Jaws" like movie, and again my heart raced each time the danger heightened. Then we look on the news and we hear of recent shark attacks, and the thoughts intertwine. Is the water safe?
    Many of us are in our ponds frequently, although not necessarily swimming in them. We have our hands, arms and perhaps feet and legs in them as we work to maintain them, dividing plants or adding plants, etc. I was pondering this as I watched my helper put on the shoulder high plastic gloves I provide her. She does not like to handle the pond things with bare hands. I just reach down into muddy water, and pull up the pots or pull out the algae and do not worry about it. I do wash my hands with anti-bacterial soap through out the day, however. But, in addition to bacteria, I know there may be little critters in the ponds.
    Have you ever been startled when you reach into a pond and a hidden frog moves quickly from the grasp meant for a pot? Have you had fish slide through your fingers as you removed the algae? The sudden movement of a salamander in the mud can also cause your heart to flutter. I have never found a snake in my pond, but I am aware that that is always a possibility. Yes, unannounced visitors can startle us and give us a fright, but most of us enjoy having them around (well, maybe not the snakes, but that is for another day).
    So today I ponder these little things that add pleasure to our world, as well as break up the monotony. Happy ponding!
    [/B]

for over 15 years!

― Zig Ziglar

matherfish
    Today is Monday! Another day on the calendar, but for most people it is the "back to work" day. The weekend has past, and another week of work has begun. As I think about this, I wonder how many people actually relaxed this weekend, taking time to just enjoy life and those around us.
    We can find many ways to relax, or unwind from life's everyday hassles. One of the ways, though it seems strange to those not involved, is to "work" in our ponds. There is something that is soothing when we do things that improve our pond's aesthetic appeal, and when we gaze upon it we find a sense of achievement and pride. Just trimming dead lily pads, or dead leaves from taros, or feeding the koi and watching them eat, are tasks that comforts and eases life's tensions. This is our own little piece of paradise, and it is our tiny world.
    Pondering the pond's soothing qualities today, excuse me. I need to go sit by the pond for a few minutes.
    [/B]

for over 15 years!

― Zig Ziglar

@Matherfish

Really have been thinking about the "alternate water source" thing. I am only 25 so I might see a day where the world is so polluted that angry people with pitchforks would come after me for using precious water for lilies. Joking aside, I really want to send my grey water into my pond instead of down the drain when I get to have my own home. It would be so cool to collect rain water from my roof + grey water into a pond to later use for watering crops. I hate waiting to fill a watering can when I can just dunk it in the pond.

gray cat
    is happy that Summer is here!
    Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~ Facebook Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by matherfish View Post
    Today is Monday! Another day on the calendar, but for most people it is the "back to work" day. The weekend has past, and another week of work has begun. As I think about this, I wonder how many people actually relaxed this weekend, taking time to just enjoy life and those around us.
    We can find many ways to relax, or unwind from life's everyday hassles. One of the ways, though it seems strange to those not involved, is to "work" in our ponds. There is something that is soothing when we do things that improve our pond's aesthetic appeal, and when we gaze upon it we find a sense of achievement and pride. Just trimming dead lily pads, or dead leaves from taros, or feeding the koi and watching them eat, are tasks that comforts and eases life's tensions. This is our own little piece of paradise, and it is our tiny world.
    Pondering the pond's soothing qualities today, excuse me. I need to go sit by the pond for a few minutes.
    Frank that is how I feel about "working" on my pond. For the most part I enjoy trimming all of my plants and checking on how they are doing. I love to get it all cleaned up and then sit on my bench and enjoy it. I know it looks like work to others but I guess it would be to people who are not into the hobby. I tell my DH and family if I can't be at the beach, then I want to be at my pond.
    Nancy

Koiphen 2012 Koi Person of the Year!

matherfish
    Thanks for the comments. I appreciate the ideas and thoughts of others!
    Last night I was posting some of my plants for sale on Ebay and started thinking. (Imagine that! ) I am both a buyer and seller on there, and have been for around 10 years. During that time as a buyer I have bought many things, and some of which I cannot get locally. In the last few weeks I have even bought gourami tropical fish. I was not sure what I would get and if they would arrive alive, but I have ordered twice and all of the fish came in in great condition. Why order on Ebay? The local stores do not carry females! All you can get are males. Even the independent aquarium store could not get me females. I just ordered a new tv remote control this morning. I order from American sellers so things do not have to be shipped from overseas.
    I have sold some stuff for a local store on Ebay, as well as sold many pond plants. It is a convenient way for me to have a larger market for my plants. The plants are the same quality as those I sell locally, and I insure their safe arrival. With thousands of sales I have a 100 feedback rating. The vast majority of sellers are this way or Ebay would not work. No one would buy there.
    But I am not trying to sell you on Ebay. That is up to you.
    Now, this is my pondering.
    There are very few local places that sell pond plants, and the majority of them are the big box stores. The box stores offer little variety, generally their plants are very small, and no advice or help as the people working there do not know anything about ponds. But the prices are cheap. The few local places that sell pond plants are not inexpensive. Most of them buy from me and retail the plants. I try to buy as much locally as I can, and appreciate others who do. When all else fails, online is a convenient source of a larger variety of plants, and supplies. Whether it be pond stores, or a forum like Koiphen or a place like Ebay, the internet has opened our opportunities to furnish our ponds in numerous ways to suit our personal tastes. Now if we could only come up with the money for all of those cute or beautiful things we see advertised! Maybe sell something we no longer use, and buy that new thing we want?
    What a wonderful time to be alive! Just thinking...
    Last edited by matherfish; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:37 PM.
    [/B]

for over 15 years!

― Zig Ziglar

matherfish
    Looking at the Euryale Ferox lilies today, I thought about it already being August. How fast this summer has gone. Children are already starting school, or will be starting in the next week or so. Teachers here have started back today. Vacations are almost nil, and the weather is still hot. As I gazed upon the lilies, I thought about the obvious fact, that those beautiful blooms would soon be gone, and that the frequency would soon grow farther apart. The thoughts reminding me that with fall coming caused my sprits to temporarily wane. In a matter of weeks, all of the winter readiness would begin. Facebook has reminded me of the number of days until Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, but few have reminded me of the short time it is until frost will come. So today I ponder winter's readiness.
    Have you made preparations for the winter's cold? Growing up in South Florida, I remember my dad getting our house "hurricane ready" when it was known that a hurricane was heading our way. He had the planks and plywood ready, with screws and bolts already set, for such instances. When the danger was over, he took the boards down and stored them until needed again.
    So it is with most of us. We have prepared in the past, and stored what we need for the next year. We have a routine that we go through, and know how much time it will take. We have made the winter's chores as simple and easy as possible. In the spring, getting the ponds opened up is not as grueling because we are excited with anticipation of a new season of enjoying our ponds, watching the fish, listening to the water's flow, or seeing the beauty of the blooms. Winter's preparations seem so much more tedious.
    As I ponder this, I also think about what the winter's cold brings. The cold weather kills off a lot of the insects that we must fight during the warmer months. The winter's rest give many plants the opportunity to renew it's energy source, resting it for another glorious summer. Even the winter's freeze is a time of rest for our fish pets, and the amphibians that inhabit many of our ponds. What we see is the winter's beauty of snow covered landscapes, and the gray tones of the landscape, the barren tree limbs, and icicles hanging from rocks and eaves. What we do not see, beneath the surface, within the ground and the bottom of the waters, is life renewing itself, strengthening itself, readying itself. it is like the practice that a team must endure to perform admirably, the rehearsals a musician must encounter to perform the masterpiece, or the sleep we all need to accomplish our best the following day.
    Yes, I am "psyching" myself up for the work ahead. Although, as I consider the labor soon to be required for readiness, I also remember the rewards!
    Just pondering!
    [/B]

for over 15 years!

― Zig Ziglar

matherfish
    Tomorrow I am going to have my two youngest grandchildren with me. Both are boys, one five and one 3. I have thought all day about what we will do on our day together. I also thought about the tragedies of when people have left their child or dog in a hot car with the windows up and am reminded of the responsibility of their care.
    This brought me to considering the responsibility of having a pond. Aesthetics aside, there is a lot of things to consider in its care.
    First, we do want our pond to look attractive. It does not have to be impressive like a pic in a magazine, but it should not be looking like a swamp. Now, that is my opinion, but I would think the purpose of having a pond is to be able to enjoy it.
    Second, you do not want your pond to be a place for raising mosquitos. A pump can circulate water to deter mosquitos from laying eggs there, or you can get some fish and put them in it that will eat the larvae. Mosquitos carry diseases as we all know, and their bites hurt. They can keep us from enjoying our yards, as well as be a nuisance for our neighbors. Remember, they do not only bite people, they also bite animals.
    Third, if not taken care of, ponds can become smelly. Decaying plants and leaves will be a problem.
    Why do I think of these things? Because sometimes when people tire of their pond, or can no longer take care of it, they just desert it. If you are considering either of these things, please give your fish to someone who will care for them, give plants away to those who desire them, and fill the pond in. Do not release your fish or plants in public waterways, streams, creeks, rivers or lakes.
    Life can get very busy, and its demands can sometimes distract us, but we all need to make responsible decisions. An improperly deserted pond is a tragedy.
    Just pondering!
    [/B]

for over 15 years!

― Zig Ziglar

matherfish
    Have you ever heard this joke? There are always two sides of any argument in a marriage, her side and the wrong side!" We laugh at this but there is often two sides in arguments, with there being some truth on both sides, and maybe some exaggerations.
    Recently I was doing a study on a particular variety of tropical fish. In my research, one person said the fish cold be kept within a community tank, including guppies. Another person said not to put them in with guppies. In regards to tank size, the consensus was generally the same, although one person said you could only keep one in a tank, while another said you could keep more than one. One person showed a tank with only one in it, yet others showed multiple numbers.
    I say this to offer this idea for our pondering today. There are many definite truths in our hobby that cannot be changed. For example, you can not put goldfish in your pond and have them grow into koi. They may have been mistakenly sold to you as goldfish, but they were koi all the time. But there are many things that are unique to your personal pond. Some things that work with one person may not work for you, and things that work for you may not work for someone else. The lotus grow out here on KP is a good example. The seeds that each one receives comes from the same source, and approximately at the same time. But they go out to people in different climates and different water sources, etc. Some have great success, others not as much, and some, none at all. There is a norm that says lotus grown from seeds will not bloom the first year, but some have proven that that norm has exceptions. Also, what works in one year may not work the next, as weather changes have a bearing on plants and their growth.
    So as we meander with our thoughts, remember that you take all of the definite truths, add to them the past experiences if you have had any, and the experiences and expertise of others, and then go for it. If it does not work this year, maybe refine it and try again next year with new anticipation. Remember the invention of the light bulb was not successful on the first attempt!
    [/B]

for over 15 years!

― Zig Ziglar

gray cat
    is happy that Summer is here!
    Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~ Facebook Administrator
    Now that it is August, I was sitting by the pond yesterday evening pondering how this season has been for me. All in all, very good! The Impatiens I put in my stream are bigger than they have ever been. No Downy Mildew this year or last year. I also put one tiny Black Magic Taro and one tiny Imperial Taro in my stream in April. They have grown so large this year that you can't even see the stream anymore. Most of their leaves are 24 inches across. They are now providing shade for the Impatiens. A friend has shared 6 different types of Taro with me this year. I have them in containers and I am enjoying watching them grow. Some have really taken off while others are still trying. I heard that we are suppose to have a warmer than average Fall this year. That is fine with me. Last year we had our killing frost in the first week of November. That would be nice again this year. I have been pleased with my ponding season so far this year. I have about three months left before a frost, August through October. By the first of November, the work to get everything moved and ready for winter will begin. But that is okay because then I can start to look forward to next Spring.

Just pondering!
    Nancy

Koiphen 2012 Koi Person of the Year!

matherfish
    Thanks Nancy!
    As I sit here waiting for my wife to finish getting her nails done, my thoughts wander to the pond. I think about how many times my thoughts I have led me to say this year has been different, almost strange. Did I have as many blooms, did my plants grow as big, did I fertilize enough? All these questions and many more go stumbling through my mind.
    Perhaps one reason that this year seems so different is that we had a relatively mild winter. Because it was warmer than usual I was able to get started on spring work earlier than normal. While I think that plants should be further along than they are, I must remember that most of them were actually planted at their regular time. They're not being as big right now because I think they should be may be because they really have not been out that long. Maybe because I realize that this season will soon come to an end that I want them to grow faster and bigger in a hurry. Maybe it's just me and not the plants after all.
    Just pondering!
    [/B]

for over 15 years!

― Zig Ziglar

matherfish
    So what have you been thinking about today? Do any of your thoughts involve your pond? I know in the spring we are anxious, and many scan brochures and catalogs as well as the internet looking for ideas for their pond. We are nearly at the end of summer, but not yet into fall. So it is the time that sometimes the summer boredom sets in. It is the "lazy, hazy days of summer' that we face. That which was new is new no longer, and for most, there is no great excitement with the coming of winter. We enjoy the pond and sitting by it, but it is no longer the thrill it was at the first of the year.
    No, we are not quitting, nor disappointed, or even unhappy. We have come to the "content" time of the summer, and the spring's excitement has turned to the summer's satisfaction and peaceful tranquility. The waterfall's once bustling roar now utters the sound of a soothing and calming flow as we have grown accustomed to its sound. We sit idly by, enjoying the "fruit" of our labor, just letting our thoughts ramble through our mind. Pondering.
    [/B]

for over 15 years!

― Zig Ziglar

matherfish
    This post started with my reading a Facebook post by a ponder. It started me contemplating the "fringe" benefits of having a pond. We all recognize the aesthetics of our ponds, but there are more advantages than those.
    One of the benefits of having a pond is that it brings you into a common interest with others throughout the country and the world. I started thinking about the people I now "know" from all over the US. I look at the Koiphen map and see where people live, or on their posts in the top right hand corner, and as I read their posts I notice their locations. As I read the forum I learn about their occupations and realize that not only are they from varying locations, they also have various backgrounds. It is from this data that my mind processes and I begin to have a greater understanding of their experiences and knowledge of ponding. We learn from each other, and we depend on the help we receive from each other.
    I now have "friends" or really acquaintances throughout the world! As new hybrids are created, or new ideas are formulated, or new equipment is developed throughout the world, I not only have the "advertisement," I also have testimonies, and opinions. I have a common interest that also involves other cultures. My "world" has expanded because of the ponds.
    Just pondering my world of ponders and ponding!
    [/B]

for over 15 years!

― Zig Ziglar

matherfish
    "A penny for your thoughts." I have heard that expression many times in my lifetime, haven't you? Why are we interested in the thoughts of others, if not for that in learning the thoughts of others we realize that we are not the only ones who think the things we think. It reconfirms our thoughts, dreams and ambitions. Many times we have aspirations for things, but are afraid to try for fear of failure. When we know that others have similar desires then we are more inclined to set out to do what we have entertained in our heart. Our creative juices begin to flow when our ideas are shared with others and feedback is encouraged.
    Ponding works that way as well. When ponders discuss their ponds, they find parts of themselves in others, and the shared information brings about a new energy for all to find in themselves.
    Yes, these thoughts are similar to yesterday's ponderings, but my thoughts are still in that vein. I see hundreds of "guests" viewing the forum each time I log on and this causes me to consider or imagine who they are, what their ponds are like, and what experiences they have had. I wonder why so many come on but do not become members. Becoming a member is free, and there are no requirements such as to having to post, etc. I am glad they come to peruse, but I also would like to know the part of their lives that involves their pond. Perhaps some day they will reveal themselves, but until then, I must just be satisfied to ponder.
    So to the "friends" I have not met, and that I do not know, thank you for getting to know me.
    [/B]

for over 15 years!

― Zig Ziglar

matherfish
    As I look over the ponds and tubs, I began to again think of the need to divide the hardy lilies next spring. I did not divide them this year because I divided most of the lotuses and ran out of time. I started thinking about how easy it is to not divide the plants every two years or so, but know that there are consequences for not doing so.
    Many times people bemoan the fact that their lilies or lotuses do not bloom very often, or sometimes not at all. Some lilies I know are not frequent bloomers, and some are very fussy about the things they demand before they will bloom. I would think that the same is true of some lotuses.
    One reason that plants do not bloom as they should is because they become overcrowded when not divided regularly. Often what happens is we have several plants growing in the same space needed for one. Many times our plants are planted in tight circumstances to begin with, and when they begin to propagate, there is now several plants fighting for survival. They do not get enough nutrients, especially for the nutrients needed to produce blooms.
    Just as a pond is limited to the number of koi or goldfish that can safely exist in its size, so often is the situation with plants. If a pond is capable of holding 6 10" koi, I would be foolish to put in 16 18" koi. The same is true of plants. Take time to divide, and enjoy the beauty!
    Happy pondering!
    [/B]

for over 15 years!

― Zig Ziglar

matherfish
    Today my thoughts have been mixed, contemplating the good and the bad. I read things on the web and see the sarcasm and bitterness of those who are envious and jealous. I read of those who fail and blame others for their own short comings. The anger and hatred eats at the hearts of some, filling them with so much loathing that their every thought is filled with vile.
    Then I look past those few and I see the generosity and kindness of the vast majority of people. I read of heroic deeds, heart felt acts of kindness, words of praise and encouragement, and the desire to help someone in need of help.
    A few weeks ago most of you know I had a pump on my pond go out. The result was that I lost my big koi. A week later I posted locally that I was looking to re home any koi in need of a new home. Yesterday I had a lady not far from me answered and said that she was having to tear down her pond and was concerned about where she could find a place for her three koi. She was delighted that their new home would be in my pond. A lady I had never met who loved her pets was willing to give them to me because of my loss! Wow!
    Some people enjoy throwing "stones" at those who sell plants, fish, or whatever, claiming that they only care about money. Those who raise such plants, fish, etc. do so at an expense. But they are also often generous in helping those who have losses or needs. There are also those numerous ponders who share their abundance with neighbors and communities, and it comes from the abundance in their heart. ❤️
    So today's pondering is to thank those who give ponding a good name and reputation, and an escape from the bitterness of the few.
    Happy pondering!
    [/B]

for over 15 years!

― Zig Ziglar

icu2
    should be off flying somwhere
    Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
    I'm so glad you have some new inhabitants!

And I couldn't agree more with your premise about professionals in the hobby. Some of the most generous and unselfish acts
    I've ever seen have been offered up by pro's.
    Thank you for all you do Frank, and all the other generous pro's and hobbyists alike.
    --Steve
    Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

matherfish
    I am happy to have the new "neighbors!" . The ponds seem empty without seeing any koi in them.
    [/B]

for over 15 years!

― Zig Ziglar

matherfish
    For several years in my past I subscribed to a few aquarium magazines. I kept each issue and although not a huge selection (maybe 100 or so) there are still a good number of them. Yesterday I got them out and started going through them, looking at the subjects listed on the covers. When I subscribed to the magazines I was primarily interested in African cichlids. As I looked through the topics, I found several that I had overlooked in the past because it was not in the range of my interest at that time. Now they are seemingly of interest. Articles on goldfish, as well as articles on ponds, dwarf gouramis, and aquarium fish, etc. caught my eye.
    As I got the first magazine out to read, I thought about how I did not read the article when I first got the magazine. Like so many things in life, I had focused on the narrow interest, and missed the broader aspects. My interest in ponding has broadened my spectrum of interest in things pond related. I am reminded that when we had our garden center how often people would come in and buy a pretty plant with no interest in knowing how to properly care for it. I must confess, I have also been guilty of doing that.
    My pondering led me to the thoughts that we often treat KP the way I did my magazines. Those whose primary focus is on koi ponds, may never read sections pertaining to pond plants. Those who chose to have plants without fish may never read the sections pertaining to the fish health. And what value is there to reading the chat sections or any of the other divisions? The answer to that question is simple. Knowing something about the person giving the advice or recommendations might be found in reading chit chat. And understanding things about the pond that may involve plants and fish may be found in either sections.
    As I contemplate, I wonder how much I have missed in the threads here on KP? I do not always have ample time to read, but on occasion, it is nice to know it is there and available.
    Just "pond"ering!
    [/B]

for over 15 years!

― Zig Ziglar

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast