Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Pond"ering

matherfish
    Very thankful for friends!
    I have been ponding for around 30 years. I am like many of those who are reading this now. I started with a small pre-formed pond, and every few years I increased to a bigger pond. I still suffer from this affliction, as you know! Today, as I was dividing Mike Giles' hardy lily Tangerine Pink, I thought about the trades I had made with different ponders through the years. I seemed to have developed an appetite not only for bigger ponds, and more ponds, but also for more plants. Trading became a way to acquire a new bog plant or a new lily variety. Some have criticized my zest for variety, but I enjoy it, and it is my hobby. Isn't that what we all call it? Like trading cards or collecting matchbooks, many ponders enjoy trading plants. I have not seen many offers for trades lately, although Little Mikey has made offers recently, and some took him up on them, including me!
    My wistful thoughts of trades reminded me that despite having many varieties of lilies there are still many that I do not have. Although I am very short on space, there is still room for one more lily! I have a friend who often advertises for trades, asking for people to tempt him with something that they do not have.
    Like me, the allurement is still there. My pondering made me realize that I still am looking for tropical lily plants that I have had, but have no longer, such as Queen of Siam, Islamorada, Ruby or lotuses such as Apricot Blossom, Empress, Holy Fire or Frankly Scarlet. I know we all lose plants for various reasons, and I am no different. And like you, I have those such as I mentioned that I would like to get again. There are also many that I have never seen or heard of that I might want if it crossed my path.
    And as I continued dividing the plants, and I contemplated the time of the year, I decided it was also time to offer a trade. I have some small but healthy Tangerine Pink lilies to trade. Anyone interested? You can PM if you are, and let me know what you have to trade.
    My pondering has reminded me of another joy of ponding, and that is the opportunity to share with others!
    Sunfire Hardy Water Lily now available
    [/B]
    See my Pro Seller store on Koiphen[B]

TN Department of Agriculture Inspected and Certified
    for over 15 years!

“People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care”
    ― Zig Ziglar

matherfish
    My thoughts today were about resourcefulness. I thought about this when I needed to trim the dead leaf pads off of a Euryale Ferox lily. This lily is covered with thorns that are very thin, and sharp. When I say covered, believe me that that is not an exaggeration. The top of the pads, the bottom of the pads, the stems, and even the bloom are covered with extremely sharp thorns. Because of this, it is hard to deal with when pads need trimming. Several years ago I started using a pair of loping shears and a leaf rake to make the job less painful. I use the loping shears to cut the stem so that the pad is freed from the plant, and then I use the leaf rake to scoop the pad out and dump it into the trash can. I do not have to risk getting stuck by the thorns this way.
    As my thoughts meandered through my mind I started thinking about other things I have learned to use in the ponds that were not meant for the ponds. I am not talking about things such as using land plant pots to plant water plants in, as that is still basically using the item for the same general purpose. I am thinking about things used for a completely different purpose or altered to use for a completely different purpose. Loping shears are used to cut stems and twigs, so to use them to cut lily stems may still be using them for the same general purpose. But haven't we actually adapted these items, the pots, shears, rakes etc. for use in the ponds?
    Many years ago Fernlady taught me to use plastic venetion blind sections to make label markers for pond plants. Taking a single slat, cutting it into about a 6-8 inch long strips you have a great tag to stick into the soil to keep the plant identity. A permanent marker can easily be used to write the name on the strip. Not made for become label tags, it is a great recycling idea! TMike cuts aluminum cans into small strips and then using a sharp object, he "engraves" the name of the plant into the aluminum strip as an identification tag. Again, the can was not originally made for that purpose, but it works! The use of plastic barrels by adapting them to become filters is another ingenious resourceful idea. Using fishing line to crisscross above a pond to keep herons or hawks out of our ponds is another adaptation. Some of us also use kiddie pools as ponds, and I know of those who use canoes as ponds. Resourceful!
    Yes, pondering today made me wonder how many other things ponders have adapted to their use. Anyone want to share their ideas?
    [/B]

for over 15 years!

― Zig Ziglar

matherfish
    As I posted some pics today on KP, I thought about how many that I should post. I mused over the fact that I have at times posted a large number of pics, and at other times I just posed a couple or just a few pics. I pondered about the fact that we ask people to post pics of their ponds, fish, plants, etc. This cause me to consider the reason for posting pics.
    My thoughts led me to think about the taking of pictures to begin with. I take pictures of my plants to be used for identification of lilies if their name tags get lost. Having several pics of several blooms from the same plant gives me pics of blooms on different days that the bloom is open. Some plants have blooms that change color over the three days they are open so have many pics helps in identification. Many plants have blooms that look similar, so having many pics also helps in being able to maybe identify a plant, or if nothing else, be able to know what it is not!
    I also take pics so that I can consider the different details or differences in the plants. Pics make it easier to study the plant at any time or any length of time to become more familiar with the plant. Unfortunately, I do not always remember the individual nuances of each plant but the pics help me remember.
    So why post the pictures? I did not take them to impress anyone with the number of pcs or blooms. I did not take the pictures to enter into photography contests. I did not take the pics to be deemed better than someone else. So, since I did not take the pics in order to post them to fulfill any of these desires just listed, why do I post?
    The answer is simple. It is the same reason that I hope you will also post pics. Other members enjoy the hobby and enjoy seeing different things within the hobby! I post lots of pics sometimes because I want to have pics of plants that others might enjoy. I know everyone may not like the same plants that I like, but if I had to limit my pics I most likely would pick my favorites.
    I also want those who come on to KP to see a wide variety of what is in the hobby. When you go to sites that sell plants you most often see the newer varieties or the most popular varieties. You probably would not find many of the plants that are also beautiful, but are no longer the newest craze. There are not a lot of places on the web to see the "old and proven" options in our hobby.
    Maybe my ponderings are also "day dreams," for as I entertain these thoughts I am dreaming of new ponds and new places to put ponds and what they might look like. Seeing pics of ponds, plants and fish gives me more vivid dreams, and puts a smile on my face and in my heart.
    Thank you for posting your pics and building my pondering dreams!
    Last edited by matherfish; 23 Hours Ago at 11:55 PM.
    [/B]

for over 15 years!

― Zig Ziglar

matherfish
    Sorry the last post was so long.
    [/B]

for over 15 years!

― Zig Ziglar

DarleneD
    is missing her fish
    It wasn't too long ... you had a lot of good stuff to say!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123