• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: "Pond"ering

matherfish is offline Senior Member
      is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

"What was I thinking?" That is the pondering thoughts today! I knew cleaning my big ponds was not going to be easy, but did not realize it would be this much work! I have not cleaned them in 4 years due to health challenges, but still was not prepared for this. I figured there would be a couple of inches of muck in the bottom of the ponds, but as we pumped the water with a sump pump, we soon realized it was much deeper. It was more like 8 inches of muck! We started using 5 gallon buckets to scoop out the muck, but quickly realized that it would take hundreds of buckets to get it all out, and my back was not ready for that. So as I pondered the situation, it became evident that I needed to go to the tool rental company and rent trash pump. So off I went to search for my "dream machine!" I called and they said they had one and would hold it for me so off I went. I had never rented one before so I was not sure what to expect, but I was not willing to "bucket" the pond clean.
      The pump had two hoses, an intake hose and a outflow hose, each were 2 inches in diameter, so I thought it would be simple and quick. What was I thinking? The leaves, sticks, and other pond bottom junk, as well as the mud continuously stopped up the intake hose, and it had to be opened back up. Slowly, we removed the muck. By the end of the day my helper and I knew we were tired, and that tomorrow we would both be very sore. But at least we had one pond done!
      Tomorrow we will tackle the second pond. We have the trash pump already on hand, (I had rented it for 4 hours but was told that if I needed it longer they would just change it to the day rate, so we kept it for tomorrow's use.) Instead of needing it for 4 hours, I needed it for 4 hours for the one pond. Once the second pond is done, I anticipate that I will keep them clean by cleaning them annually, as I did before the last four years. The ponds will be ready for my new koi which I will be getting on Friday!
      Miscalculating, but always "pond"ering!
      Last edited by matherfish; 09-05-2017 at 12:23 AM.
      Sunfire Hardy Water Lily now available
      See my Pro Seller store on Koiphen

“People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care”
      ― Zig Ziglar

Koiphen 2019 Koi Person of the Year!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

little_mikey is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

@ matherfish,
      You seem to have a good strategy at getting blooms, just keep a few of everything so at least something will be blooming. Sorry your maintenance is so difficult. Clogging pumps is annoying. Hopefully the hard work will pay off soon. Having a nice manicured koi pond is exciting.

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

Thanks Mikey. The maintenance isn't too bad once I get caught up, if that ever happens. We cleaned the lower pond today, and there was not nearly the amount of muck in the bottom of it as was in the upper pond. I had made my estimate of how much muck was in the ponds by reaching down to the bottom of the lower pond, and it did not seem near as bad as the upper pond. Well, today we drained the lower pond down and it only had about 2 inches of muck. It was not nearly as hard or time consuming as the cleaning of the upper pond.
      Cleaning the ponds has its rewards. The water is clearer, so the fish will be easier to see. There is not all of the muck in the pond to create ammonia and other gases that endanger the health of the fish also. But there was another reward today! I thought all of the koi had died when the pumps went out, but we found one koi alive today! I had seen movement in the water around the lily pads or in the hyacinths, but thought it was one of the big bullfrogs which are in the ponds. When draining the pond today we found the actual inhabitant was a butterfly koi. He is mostly a brown and with some orange color so hiding below the lily pads was easy to do. I believe he is about 18 inches long! I was delighted to "discover" this wonderful resident. I will be adding my other three koi to the pond tomorrow. I am getting more koi on Friday and will be putting them in the "clean" ponds on Saturday!
      Thinking of the clean ponds and the new fish reminds me of the fish I lost. This is like when we lose a pet, such as a dog or cat. The new one cannot replace the old, but we build a new relationship with the new pet. The wet pets bring smiles to our faces and calm to our lives. I have "cleaned house" for them.
      Mikey, you are right in that by having a lot of plants I always have blooms, but never is every plant blooming at the same time. The plants themselves are pretty easy to take care of. It is a labor of love, as it is with you and your plants, and most other ponders.
      So, today's "pond"ering is one of satisfaction and accomplishment. A difficult task has been completed, and now to enjoy the fruits of the labor. It was not as much work as building a new pond, but it is satisfying none the less!
      Attached Images Attached Images       
      Last edited by matherfish; 09-05-2017 at 05:30 PM.

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

My thoughts today were on how to address misconceptions in the ponding world that are deliberately perpetuated by some who are thought of as trusted experts. There are those who are vindictive and constantly attack others and fill the hobby with negativism. I do not want to be negative but I do want people to know the truth. I also want to get these thoughts behind me.
      I have posted on the trader forum here on KP that I would like to obtain White Snowflake and Yellow Snowflake. These are both perfectly legal plants and are not on the federal invasive list, nor are they prohibited plants. if you have these plants, you do not need to fear being caught with anything illegal.
      White Snowflake, Nymphoides indica, is the larger plant called white snowflake and is legal, and is currently being sold by Florida Aquatic Nurseries, as well as other aquatic stores.
      Yellow snowflake, Nymphoides geminate, is also not illegal, and can be purchased from various pond plant sources on the web. Yellow snowflake is not n. peltata, which is known by the common name of Yellow bleeding heart (not yellow snowflake) and it is on the federal plant invasive list.
      I am not seeking any illegal plants, nor do I sell any. I am not trying to trap anyone into doing anything illegal, as some have done. I can buy these plants on the web or from FAN, but thought there might be some who would enjoy trading. If you have any plants I am looking for, PM me.
      Sorry to have to post this, but it is accurate.
      Now go ponder more happy thoughts!

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

The two ponds are both now filled with water, and the second one has now sat long enough for the water to "cure," so all is ready for the new fish to go in! Putting the pots of lilies back into the ponds has brought the good bacteria back so the fish should be comfortable in their new environment. Things are about back to normal! Whatever that is!
      My pondering today goes on to better things ahead. There will be the harvesting of tropical lily tubers on the agenda but that will not be hard labor, but will be laborious. There really is joy and satisfaction in finding that the lilies have made tubers and that you can look forward to having the plant again next year. And, although their number is down, there are still blooms to enjoy before the harvesting.
      I think about the various bog plants such as the spider lily and irises which have only had foliage since back in the spring. They will be blooming next spring and I look forward to seeing the beautiful blooms they produce. Other plants which bloom at the first of summer will continue the pond's beauty until the lilies start blooming! The crinum, lizard's tail, as well as these others remind me that the winter is over, and a new ponding year has begun.
      One of the reasons I ask about trades now is that many ponders have to deal with the "excess" in their ponds now, and trading now gives your new plants you get in the trade the opportunity to set roots and acclimate over the winter in order to flourish next spring. I have also found that many ponders who have lilies do not remember their identifying names, and many do not remember the names of their marginals or bog plants. Most do not know the scientific name and are not concerned about them. To my knowledge, reputable dealers know what plants are illegal in your state and will not send you illegal plants. If you think that you have one of the plants that I am looking for, contact me and send me a photo. I am also seeking tropical lilies that are named Islamorada, Queen of Siam or Ruby. These used to be popular, but seem to be hard to find in trades today, although they are sold in some pond plant stores. What do you do with your excess plants?
      "Pond"ering the plants and relieving the stress! That is ponding!
      Last edited by matherfish; 09-06-2017 at 11:01 PM.

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

I mentioned FAN earlier and want to mention that they are in south Florida near Homestead, and ask that you remember those owners and employees in your prayers as I am sure they are preparing for hurricane Irma.
      Also, if you are reading this and not a member of Koiphen but have any of the plants that I am looking for, you can email me at www.matherfish.com. Thanks everyone!
      Keep on praying for Texas and others as they recover, and for Florida, South Carolina, Georgia and North Carolina as they prepare for the coming storms.
      More pondering later.

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

Today's pondering has to be concerning the hurricanes. As I mentioned yesterday not only do we have individuals that we know that are going to be affected we also have businesses who are owned by individuals and out and have individuals who work in those businesses who will be affected by the hurricanes. Thankfully that in times of distress we can all work together to help one another .
      I don't understand the mentality of the looters and the scammers. Unfortunately those appear also.
      I've read the concern that a college student has in his thread on Koiphen about his plants which he has put a lot of work into. I think we can help him replace his plants if he loses them. I do not understand those who hijack his thread to promote themselves and try to stir up controversy over things that do not pertain to the thread. His concern over the plants and the hurricane has nothing to do with trading plants or identifying plants or selling plants.
      Currently they are saying even in my area that we may get tropical storm winds. The storms may affect me any of us beyond Florida. We can help replace things but not people. Please everyone take care, stay safe and let us know if you need help.

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

Today's "pond"ering has been over my exciting trip to Turtle Island and to visit with TMike and two other ponders that I have know for many years. Like friends on KP, I have known these ladies for about 15 years but had never met them face to face. It was fantastic to get to meet these wonderful ladies in person.
      I have been excited for weeks about going to TMike's to see his ponds and to visit with him. I drove up about an hour drive from his house on Thursday and met with one of the ladies and her daughter for dinner, and for a chance to chat. Then I drove to the hotel and spent the night, getting up the next morning to go and meet the ladies and then we all made the drive to TMike's, stopping on the way to get sandwiches to take to eat as a picnic beside TMike's pond.
      We sat beside the pond, eating our submarine sandwiches and talking and talking and talking. We were learning, and learning and learning. TMike's big pond looked much better than last time I was there, as there was no drought this time. TMike said there was less than 20% of the lilies blooming due to the cooler weather for the last two weeks. There were still lots and lots of blooms to drool over.
      Looking over the blooms it is easy to see the difference in the hardy blooms, the tropical blooms and the HXT blooms. The ponds with the majority of Mike's hardy lilies with lots of beautiful blooms, and the section of the large pond that is sectioned off for the tropical lilies was beautiful, but the HXT lilies were eye popping! What eye candy they are! Hundreds of different varieties blooming, and many hundreds not blooming yesterday. Those who have been ponding for a while will find great excitement in the future as these plants are entered into the market. TMike cut large bouquets of the HXT blooms, giving one to each of the ladies, and one for me to bring home to Carol. Lots of blooms in each bouquet, and no bloom was alike! I did not get home until late last night and took pics of the blooms in Carol's bouquet, but there really was not enough light. am posting them, but the pics do not do justice to the blooms. In the pictures with this post, the plants closest to me are tropicals and there were not a lot of blooms on them.
      Ponders, the beauty of the HXT lilies is outstanding. When you can, see one in person. You will want one in your pond. I asked TMike about them as I looked over his pond about the colors as so far all that is on the market are purple. TMike showed me blooms of blues, whites, yellows, pinks and reds which he said he would have on the market in the next few years. I was seeing all of these lilies in his pond and all of these stunning colors, and now he is telling me they would be on the market! Hold onto your ponds, there are great things coming! One lily I really liked had pink at the base of the petals, and had purple coloring on the top half of the bloom! Mike said he had a couple that were similar, and may put one of them on the market n 4 or 5 years! I can't wait!
      The pics of the landscape of the pond do not show the blooms very well, but the pic of TMike cutting blooms for the bouquets gives you an idea of the breathtaking beauty!
      Something great to "pond"er!
      Last edited by matherfish; 09-10-2017 at 04:43 PM.

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

Again today I have been reflecting on my visit to Turtle Island. As you can tell, TMike's one man operation is definitely huge. I asked TMike about all of the beautiful lilies and how he decided which one's to keep and which one to cull. His answer was pretty much what I expected. There are some that you know you do not want to keep, and some that you are afraid not to keep. As you look at the pics, you see stick sticking up in places. Those are plants that TMike is watching as possible plants to market. There are thousands of plants so the ones without a stick are those that he is still watching and some that have not bloomed as yet. it is amazing as you look out over the thousands of plants how many of them he can tell you about. Of course, most of the ones we asked about were the ones he plans on marketing. Even to my less trained eye I guess I could spot the winners, and runner ups.
      One of the things that I noticed among the HXT lilies were the white, red, pink and yellow lilies. As I mentioned in the last post, I asked TMike about these lilies. Since everyone wants a blue or purple hardy lily, what would be the fate of these colored lilies? I enjoyed the "neon" look but would these colored HXT be marketed? The answer was yes. Mike showed me a gorgeous yellow bloom from an HXT. He pointed out that the HXT blooms stand higher above the water than hardy lily blooms. They also have a longer blooming period during the day, and the look is different, as I had noticed already. Being partial to the reds, I was awestruck at their glowing brightness, I was thrilled! I had mentioned a few blooms and he said those were nice, but he had some even nicer! Like I mentioned before, the future is exciting in our hobby as there are still beautiful new hybrid hardy lily varieties and new hybrid tropical lily varieties, but the HXT varieties of choices that will be available will be tremendous!
      Here are some pics of some of the lily blooms from the bouquet I brought home. I took some of the pics today when I had more light, but this is the third day since the blooms were picked so I am posting some of the darker pics. These are just to show the various looks, and are not just ones that may be marketed.

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

Here are the Friday night pics when more of the blooms were still open. Some of the pics are of the same bloom shown in the previous post.

― Zig Ziglar

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

Here are some more pics of the lily bouquet blooms.
      Last edited by matherfish; 09-10-2017 at 05:37 PM.

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

Last pics from TMike's. These pics are of three blooms on harvested plants. Also another pic of TMike gathering bouquet blooms. They smell terrific!

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

Have you ever rearranged furniture in your house or remodeled your home? Sometimes working in the ponds seem almost like that. As I mentioned earlier, last week I cleaned my large ponds before I got my new koi. That in itself was huge task! Okay, maybe not a gigantic task, but not an easy, quick one either. I had thought about changing out the lilies out of those ponds for something different. Going to TMike's last Friday made my decision easier. I had several H X T lilies that I had bought from TMike, plus some that I had got from other places. I decided that those would be moved to be housed in the big ponds. The hardy lilies that had been there, all of which were TMike's hybrids, would need to be moved to the tubs or other ponds. This re-arranging was contemplated, and pondered meticulously for the past three days. Decision made, now to place the plan into action.
      This morning we started lifting the heavy pots out of the big ponds. The pots were 3 gallons of mud, with a large plant in it, sitting down in the pond! Once the plants were out of the pond, the dying pads (fall is coming ) were removed, leaving only the younger, healthy pads. The pots were then carted a few at a time to the other side of the greenhouse to be put into half barrel tubs. 15 pots to move! To make room, the HXT lilies had to be taken out of the tubs so the process was repeated, except instead of getting the pots out of ponds, the pots had to be lifted out of the tubs. As they were being lifted out and carted to the pond, the hardy lilies were placed into the newly emptied tubs. The plants were also fertilized while they were out of the pond for their last fertilization for this year.
      As we were moving plants I continued thinking about how great the ponds would look with the new koi, and the HXT plants. With the hardy lilies, I had placed the pots with the lilies inside of other larger pots to help keep the large koi from digging up the plants. these koi are much smaller, so something else would have to be done. I have put small stones on top of the pots before such as small river gravel, but some of the plants had been dug up anyway, leaving the small stones in the bottom of the pond, and the plant floating. I do not want my HXT plants floating!
      I decided that I would get the larger, egg sized rocks, and put them on tops of the pots and then put them in larger pots. I had already switched the lilies, but had not put the HXT plants into the pond yet. They could not stay out of the water while I went to the store and bought the stones, but if I put them into the pond the koi might start digging before I got back. I thought of a solution, temporarily. I placed each of the potted plants into a larger empty pot that I could sit on my ledge in the pond, which would allow the pots to sit down in the water, but the second pot would be taller than the water level, so the fish could not get down into the plants. The plants would stay wet, but be separated from the fish. It doesn't necessarily look good, but it will work until tomorrow, when I will go to the store, get the rocks, and cover the tops of the potted pots. I will then put the pots into more shallow pots and move them to the deeper water, and the pond should look better.
      Now you understand why I said that rearranging the pond was like rearranging your house? I will also take the large tags out of the pots and replace them with smaller ones that will be less noticeable, so the work continues tomorrow. Not as big a deal as those who are now cleaning up from hurricanes, but still work!
      Just "pond"ering!
      Last edited by matherfish; 09-11-2017 at 11:42 PM.

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

I received an email yesterday from Florida Aquatic Nurseries stating that although they suffered some damage, they were not destroyed and expect to be up and running in a few days. Thankfully, Little_Mikey and CraigP have reported that they are okay and slowly we are hearing from others. I think that I saw that Stephen and Mary and DarleneD are okay but am not sure. KP is a small group in comparison to the much larger group who were affected by the hurricanes, and many of those suffered great losses. Recovery will take much longer than the hurricanes did to bring the destruction. Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with them.
      As I ponder these things, I think about how we as ponders face a lesser unknown force called winter. Our ponds have flourished over the summer as we manicured and pampered them. Now, they are starting to shut down, and we must face the reality that cold weather is coming. Like others, I look for solutions to the problems that winter brings. In the last few weeks, I have had people ask how they could over winter their water hyacinths, and if there was a way to keep their Euryale Ferox or Victoria alive over the winter. It seems we "can't fool" many things about "Mother Nature," no matter what we try. Maybe someday there will be easier and simpler solutions to these things, but until then, we are captured by our hobby's difficulties!
      For those who are curious, or wondering, I will give simple answers to the questions mentioned above. I have found that water hyacinths are not easily kept over winter except in the tropical zones. I have tried to keep them in aquariums in the past with heaters and lights, but they did not survive. I also know of ponders who have tried to over winter them by planting them up in pots and putting them in aquariums with heaters and lights, but very few survive. They have better survival rate than simply floating the plants in the aquarium, but still have zero to little success. Considering the cost of the cost of the plants, I am not sure the rewards are worth the time and expense. I, like many others, am able to over winter mine in a greenhouse.
      The over wintering of the Euryale Ferox is different. By their nature they die at the end of the year. Their self pollinating and prolific seeding takes care of their not living over the winter. They will grow quickly from the seeds to produce those massive plants the next summer, so there is no need to try and over winter them. I have had them in the green house for several years, and as the weather gets colder outside, the green house remains warm, but the plans still die.
      Happy "pond"ering!
      Last edited by matherfish; 09-13-2017 at 11:16 AM.

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

Over the past week I have been pondering the "pond"ering. There has been a lot going on with the hurricanes and other events to keep us occupied that I thought these anticdotes might be too trivial. After much consideration I decided that sometimes we need a distraction from "reality." 😃
      With this conclusion I began thinking of other things, which are ponds. 😁
      With the new hybrids of the HXT lilies there has also been new excitement! They were once thought an impossibility but are now realities! The cost and availability has made the prohibitive for many. Although many are patented, I believe as more are created and the availability increases, the cost will go down.
      But with all of the excitement of the HXT lilies, do not forget there are still the gorgeous hardy and tropical likes that can be bought at a lower cost, and there are new varieties being created of those as well!
      For those of you who live in colder temperate zones, did you know that a tropical lily tuber can be planted and within a month be blooming? You do not need a long growing season to enjoy their beauty!
      Also, many of the new hardy lilies almost look like the have lights in their center as the Dem to glow in the sunlight.
      So, as I contemplate our hobby and passion, I am reminded that this is a hobby that everyone can share!
      Happy "pond"ering!

― Zig Ziglar

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wow.. can't believe I missed your posts on visiting Turtle Island... Holy heck! A pond full of stunning HXT... Breathtaking... Sounds like a surreal experience.

One of the great things about this hobby is not only the rich history, but the bright future ahead. So many marketable lilies just in your pictures... Seeing the pics on facebook of N thermarum crosses and beyond are amazing. Even if this was a common hobby people would never run out of crosses to try.

@matherfish:
      love your comment about taking a tuber and having a blooming plant in one month. Climate is not a reason to avoid tropicals.

Actually my observation lately is that "annuals" should be considered annuals not because they die after a year but rather, they can hurry through their whole lifecycle in a year. Perennials make long starchy rhizomes and build momentum season after season until they are ready to bloom. People seem to crave tropicals, but honestly hardies seem more exquisite to me... and are worth the wait.
      idk just pondering...,

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

"Actually my observation lately is that "annuals" should be considered annuals not because they die after a year but rather, they can hurry through their whole lifecycle in a year. Perennials make long starchy rhizomes and build momentum season after season until they are ready to bloom. People seem to crave tropicals, but honestly hardies seem more exquisite to me... and are worth the wait.
      idk just pondering...,"
      Great observations, Lil Mikey!
      As each of seek ways to improve our plants and fish we often will notice things that seem unimportant but in the larger scheme of things end up being very important. This brings to mind the poem concerning the nail in a horseshoe. Sharing ideas and observations help us all. Sharing events, sometimes numerous, sometimes embarrassing, sometimes tragic, still helps others in their ponding journey.
      My wife and I are in FL with some friends this week and our woman friend told me of a beautiful plant she had seen in a nearby ditch. She said it had such a beautiful bloom and wanted me to see it, so we went to look. It was a small group of water hyacinths forming a mass of about 3' in diameter. I told her what the plant was, and of the FL laws concerning it, as well as the reason for the laws. I pondered this event later and thought of how in discussing the beauty and usefulness of the plant, I also had the opportunity to teach someone how ponders were responsible caretakers of our surroundings!
      Just "pond"ering!
      Last edited by matherfish; 09-25-2017 at 09:00 PM.

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

Today as I worked in the greenhouse one of the things I had to do was to get algae out of the ponds and aquariums. I thought about the need for plecostomus fish in the aquariums to help control the algae. I stopped at the local pet shop at lunch to get a few, only to learn they were out. The owner told me that the hurricane in FL had caused a shortage for a few weeks, but he expected to get some in in a few weeks, possibly next week. I will check back then.
      This started me thinking about my ponds. We take for granted the availability of any things but cannot be assured of the ready availability. I buy Dipel in powder form to use to kill China Marker moth larvae, known as "sandwich man." There have been times that I have gone to get a bag, and they were out. I have learned to keep an extra bag on hand.
      My thoughts continued to my lilies. I know that some people keep only one plant of a variety, but I always try to keep two, just in case I lose one. I also have a few friends that I "share" with, and I know that if I lose a plant, there is a good chance they have a spare one that they will share with me, and I do the same if they lose a plant. There are many ways in which having friends with ponds can be beneficial to us. Some communities are fortunate enough to have pond clubs. We had one here but it closed January 1. I know that many of the members here are members of koi clubs or pond clubs. I recommend that if you can find one in your area that you become a member. Getting to know members here on KP is also like being a member of a pond club.
      I also noticed that since the weather has warmed back up, the number of blooms has increased some. There were only a few hardy lily booms, and two lotus blooms, but there were many tropical blooms, and a few Aussie blooms, especially Albert de LaStang. Summer may be coming to a close, but isn't it nice that the continued heat is continuing to bless us with beautiful eye candy?
      Keep on "pond"ering!

― Zig Ziglar

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

Today's thoughts are concerning how we view our water features, which includes ponds, containers and fountains. should I include aquariums in that list? Any of these can be considered a wet habitat. Sizes and construction may vary, but all have one thing in common, water! What I was considering was our views or what our purposes for these are.
      Is your reason for having a water feature more about landscaping, aesthetics, wet pets, or water gardening? Many want a pond to enhance their landscaping! It is added much for the same reason one might put a statue in their lawn or a bench. it looks nice, and adds to the visual attraction of your landscaping. Adding a fountain or something similar makes it even more attractive. It may make your landscaping look "complete."
      Maybe you have your pond because of the aesthetics. It provides a place for relaxation, stress removal or contemplation. It is your escape from the hectic pace of life. You can listen to the water flowing from the fountain or waterfall, the croaking of the frogs, or just watch the fish or dragonflies. You walk away renewed.
      Maybe your water feature is where you keep your wet pets. You enjoy raising them, watching them grow, and seeing their habits and characteristics. You know each one by name, and treat them as pets, looking for them to come running to you when you come to the water feature. You may teach them tricks, such as eating out of your hand, or out of a baby bottle, etc. You see to their every need and desires, such as treats, and special foods.
      Maybe your water feature is to give you a place to grow those beautiful plants that can only grow in water, or mud. You use your ponds as a place to exhibit your talent or desire to raise living bouquets in your yard. You can use container gardens to enhance your landscaping by placing them in locations that might otherwise have a potted plant. Arranging your plants to display their beauty is a joy that one can find daily as you view the decorum of your water features.
      Or are you like many of us? We have water features for all of these reasons!
      Appreciating the hobby, "pond"ering as I go.

― Zig Ziglar

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Water Hyacinth are pretty albeit annoying.

Really good idea to keep duplicates of any plant one buys. Blooming is just on phase of growth, tubering is still important. It is a nice piece of mind when you can fertilize the heck out of one plant (killing it in the winter) and having backups. Particularly when one spends money on new or ISG lilies. (Not trying to put a plug for Amazon... but they have a couple of ISG hardies <$50 Siam #2 and Purple Fantasy.) If anything Irma taught me that Hurricanes/accidents usually "go for the jugular". Never hurts to be patient and divide a lily and wait a year for blooms.

The nice thing about ponds is they support a healthy aquarium... Plenty of snails... Plenty of livebearers. While I wouldn't advocate using live food for predatory fish like morays and the like, it is nice in a Hurricane when the seafood spoils. Pufferfish likes the snails too. More importantly I like the idea of trying new lilies in the aquarium. No idea why lotos subgenus lilies are the defacto aquarium plant. They are among the largest lilies out there. I have a bunch of tubers of a plant sold to me as Red Flare which I have affectionately named "Red Cr**". Despite having lousy flowers it has nice crimson foliage.

My eventual plan is to try some Nang Kwag (Indian Goddess) or Jongkolnee as the plants tend to make clusters of babies/dense foliage rather than blooms. Minuta is also another obvious choice. Even some vivips that propagate to a point of being "disposable" could be good. I have a bunch of Madame Ganna Walska now and they have wonderful mottled leaves. Colorata is nice with the purple flushed undersides of leaves... Also clusters well. Even a smallish odorata hybrid with crimson undersides is nice. In middle school I had a 55 gallon long tank filled with Banana plants (Nymphoides aquatica). The way the light played with the shadows was so dramatic. A setup like that with air-breathers such as gourami/betta/bichirs going to the surface periodically is so peaceful.

Really love trading with folks. Hard to get some species material or old hybrids otherwise. Besides it is nice to put the budget towards new lilies like ISG or some of the really cutting edge stuff. The new 'Rhazberry' hardy out now is nice. Maybe next year. Hopefully Mike Giles will continue to put more incredible ISG lilies on the market soon as well.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast