• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 714151617

Thread: "Pond"ering

matherfish is offline Senior Member
      is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

The week has gone by in a hurry and we are back home from our vacation. We returned to find cold, rainy weather, but it is home.
      While we were away, my helper finished getting the tropical lily tubers harvested, and made the cold frame over the lotuses, and put the window back in the frame of the greenhouse. Look out winter, here we come.
      I have let the pond drain down due to the leak and now there is only a couple of inches of water in it. We moved the fish into the upper pond and moved the H X T lilies into tubs. We have netted out the leaves that have accumulated from being blown off of the trees with the exception of a few. There is one more baby koi (about 3 inches long) left to find and net out, and then it will be time to find the leak. Fun thing to do on a cold day!
      When the water was low, and the leaves were in the pond, the fish seemed to huddle together. Guess they were trying to get warm?
      Happy Thanksgiving, and count your pond among and along with your blessings!
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by matherfish; 11-19-2018 at 08:09 PM.
      Sunfire Hardy Water Lily now available
      See my Pro Seller store on Koiphen

“People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care”
      ― Zig Ziglar

Koiphen 2019 Koi Person of the Year!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

matherfish is offline Senior Member
      is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

It has been extremely cold every day this week so there has not been much happening. Too cold and damp so I have delayed work until today. Since the plants are in the greenhouse which keeps them barely warm enough to keep from getting too cold or from freezing, we have to water them occasionally. We also have to add water to the ponds and tubs occasionally. We are doing that today.
      In order to hold in as much heat as possible, I stretch plastic over the tops of the pipes that keep the greenhouse strong. This acts as a ceiling and is only about 8 feet high. Although not completely sealed off and preventing the heat from escaping, it does make a difference. Takes a little while to put up, but it is worth it.
      I hope all of your ponds are winter ready, as winter is here in TN, and throughout most of the country. On Tuesday, it was colder here than it was in Alaska or Iceland. Sure am glad that the severe cold did not last, and it has warmed up. Highs on Saturday and Sunday is to be 67,* but by Monday the temps will be dropping and by mid week will again be extremely cold.
      Throughout the winter, keep on "pond"ering!
      Sunfire Hardy Water Lily now available
      See my Pro Seller store on Koiphen

“People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care”
      ― Zig Ziglar

Koiphen 2019 Koi Person of the Year!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 714151617