• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Results 1 to 11 of 11

    Thread: 10 Inch Shiro Utsuri

    1. #1
      KOIAndrew is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Nov 2014
      Location
      guyton, ga, usa
      Posts
      258

      10 Inch Shiro Utsuri

      Hes just over 1 year old. I have pictures of him much smaller but want opinions on his current looks.

      Name:  shrio1.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  67.8 KBName:  shrio2.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  60.6 KBName:  shrio3.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  67.3 KB

    2. #2
      inazuma28 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Apr 2012
      Location
      Ronkonkoma, New York
      Posts
      2,502
      So, based on the fins, this is actually a shiro bekko, not a shiro utsuri. It does not have motogoro. This is a pond grade fish. He looks good though.

    3. #3
      koiman1950's Avatar
      koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired
       
      Feeling:
      Tired
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      San Jose, Ca
      Posts
      19,476
      I agree, Bekko, not Utsuri. It's not just the image of the pec fins with tejime, it's the look of the sumi as well.
      Mike

      check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net




      "Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

    4. #4
      KOIAndrew is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Nov 2014
      Location
      guyton, ga, usa
      Posts
      258
      Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      I agree, Bekko, not Utsuri. It's not just the image of the pec fins with tejime, it's the look of the sumi as well.
      This koi use to have a red spot in its head, which is why I said shiro as it was once a tancho showa. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't bekkos white with black? And showas as are black with white and red?

    5. #5
      KOIAndrew is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Nov 2014
      Location
      guyton, ga, usa
      Posts
      258
      I also thought bekkos didn't have black on their heads?

    6. #6
      inazuma28 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Apr 2012
      Location
      Ronkonkoma, New York
      Posts
      2,502
      Pattern and type are two different things. A good bekko should not have sumi on the head, just like sanke. But if they do it doesn't make them a different type of koi. It's really the type of sumi that tells you the type of koi. It takes a while to recognize but the easiest way is by looking at how the sumi develops on the fins. If it has stripes it is a bekko or a sanke. If it is condensed near the body like a semi circle, it's a shiro or showa.

    7. #7
      koiman1950's Avatar
      koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired
       
      Feeling:
      Tired
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      San Jose, Ca
      Posts
      19,476
      Quote Originally Posted by KOIAndrew View Post
      This koi use to have a red spot in its head, which is why I said shiro as it was once a tancho showa. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't bekkos white with black? And showas as are black with white and red?
      A red spot on the head doesn't make it a Tancho Showa automatically. It could also be a Tancho Sanke which is what this one would have been with the red spot only on the forehead.

      Yes, Bekkos base color is white with black markings and a Shiro Utsuri is a black fish with white markings, just the opposite.
      Mike

      check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net




      "Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

    8. #8
      cindy's Avatar
      cindy is offline WWKC Vice President
      is God is good
       
      Feeling:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      May 2004
      Location
      Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      Posts
      64,383
      Quote Originally Posted by inazuma28 View Post
      Pattern and type are two different things. A good bekko should not have sumi on the head, just like sanke. But if they do it doesn't make them a different type of koi. It's really the type of sumi that tells you the type of koi. It takes a while to recognize but the easiest way is by looking at how the sumi develops on the fins. If it has stripes it is a bekko or a sanke. If it is condensed near the body like a semi circle, it's a shiro or showa.
      Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      A red spot on the head doesn't make it a Tancho Showa automatically. It could also be a Tancho Sanke which is what this one would have been with the red spot only on the forehead.

      Yes, Bekkos base color is white with black markings and a Shiro Utsuri is a black fish with white markings, just the opposite.
      Thanks for teaching, I didn't know that.
      My opinions in ER and on this forum are mine only. Use my advice at your own discretion.

      "Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."


      K.O.I.

      Member: EIHIOICGI

      http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...nd-Information

      http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...06#post2606106 Show thread

    9. #9
      KOIAndrew is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Nov 2014
      Location
      guyton, ga, usa
      Posts
      258
      Quote Originally Posted by cindy View Post
      Thanks for teaching, I didn't know that.
      same

    10. #10
      Russell Peters's Avatar
      Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Location
      .
      Posts
      25,523
      Looks like a low quality Bekko
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

    11. #11
      KOIAndrew is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Nov 2014
      Location
      guyton, ga, usa
      Posts
      258
      Name:  shirobekko.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  72.4 KB

      Here we are at just over 12inches, maybe 13 inches, didnt get an exact measurement. Its been a warm winter up until just a few days ago so i just stopped feeding less than a week ago.

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •