• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Want to replace my WLim Wave II 1/2 HP - Ideas?

MovingTarget is offline Senior Member
      is Is tired of dealing with sick
      fish

Feeling:
      ----

Want to replace my WLim Wave II 1/2 HP - Ideas?

Hi, so I don't recall how much head I have, but I do have a Sacramento Koi 15 bead filter, pump sits above water line and about 50' away from the waterfall and 30' away from the pond. I have the W Lim Wave II 1/2 HP pump, it works okay but I'm not getting the flow I would like in my waterfall, and I've really dialed down my TPRs to the point they probably aren't doing a whole lot. I have lost flow and not sure why, but I do believe I want a bigger pump but I want something energy efficient.

I was thinking about going with a 1 HP pump this time.

Here are the specs for mine:
      7632 gph / 10.39 ft. head
      5.8 Amps
      630 Watts

I was thinking about another W Lim, like the HS Wave II, the Wave II, or Dragon, but also looked over the Elite Primer Pro and Pro 2, as well as the Performance Pro Artesian 2 high head.

I'm completely open to other ideas but 1/2 HP just isn't cutting it for me. What do you all use or wish you had if you could do over?

Lastly, I'm more concerned with running costs versus the cost of the pump.

Thanks!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The problem with most of the pumps you have listed is that they do not deliver the flow that they state. I think the Lim pumps are the worst. You need something like a Sequence pump.

http://www.watergarden.org/Pond-Supplies/Sequence-Pumps
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

What size of water pipe are you using? How high are you lifting the water from the pond surface?

Billy is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Other Sites Sale prices are our everyday prices.
      Vice President Oregon Koi and Watergarden Society

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Bead/pressurized filters really need a medium head pump. Something like the Sequence Primer units, WLim Dragon series or the Advantage units. The easiest way to tell the difference in pump types in the standard centrifugal and the medium head is that they include a built in leaf trap. I've been using a Wlim Dragon 1/3 hp which operated my BD circuit feeding an Ultima 20000 for 10 years. When I moved it to my shower circuit, I had the bearings and seals replaced, but it's still running like the day I bought it and is super quiet. The one I have claims a flow rate of about 6400gph at 3-4' of head. I have nearly no head except vertical height and the fact that it's about 15" above pond water level. I estimate a flow of roughly 5000+/-gph. With a bead filter like the Sac units, you need to account for about 10-12' of head loss PLUS whatever your plumbing is. With those distances involved, you're going to lose a LOT of flow. One thing I found interesting, at least on Lim's website and in the instructions that come with his pumps is that in the Dragon series, he recommends no smaller than 2 1/2" pipe with 3" being ideal if you wish to achieve the flow rates he states for these units. So, maybe that's why most find less flow than advertised. Yes, I'm using 3" lines in/out with 2 1/2" union female bushings.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

fish

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by BWG View Post
      What size of water pipe are you using? How high are you lifting the water from the pond surface?
      2" pipe, about 3 foot lift

fish

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      The problem with most of the pumps you have listed is that they do not deliver the flow that they state. I think the Lim pumps are the worst. You need something like a Sequence pump.

http://www.watergarden.org/Pond-Supplies/Sequence-Pumps
      Thanks, I followed the link and not sure which one I should focus on. Any suggestions?

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by MovingTarget View Post
      Thanks, I followed the link and not sure which one I should focus on. Any suggestions?
      YW, talk to Billy at Cascade Pond Supply, tell him the flow you want and describe what your system is and he should be able to help you figure out which one is right. Billy is a Koiphen vendor. Sequence is the best pump for pressure situations like yours.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Billy is the man! and my go to...

I feel baldor motors are best also imo. and sequence pumps seem to be pretty solid. I'm using a advanced pump which has similar flow to the sequence 6800 and uses Baldor motor
      Last edited by kevin32; 07-17-2017 at 12:34 PM.

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

The original post mentioned something energy efficient. You can buy pumps that have a somewhat lower energy use for the head and flow required but unfortunately small pipe size, long pipe runs and a high head bead filter all translate into a energy inefficient system.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007