• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Small scale indoor tank sieve filter almost complete

Cecil is offline Senior Member
      is Koiphen fan

Feeling:
      Awesome

Small scale indoor tank sieve filter almost complete

Gave up on putting it into a blue barrel as for me to get the angle right, the trough would have had to been really far to one side of the barrel. Wasn't sure if I could do that with the Uniseals as they would have been at quite an angle due to the roundness of the barrel. I opted for making the trough out of 3 inch PVC vs. 2 inch, and putting the sieve in squarish tub I picked up at Dollar General for about $9.00. I will just drop the flow in via gravity through the top instead of plumbing in my intake pipe through the side of tub.

This is part of a vary small inside system of only 150 gallons for the circular fish tank. The water flows from the bottom drain and the skimmer and simply drops via gravity onto the sieve filter. Solids are directed to two sock filters and the rest of the water drops into a moving bed filter directly under the sieve filter. All the water minus most of the solids are then pumped to the bottom of a downsized Birdman Sand and Gravel filter, and then over flow is back to the fish tank.

I will tell you it was quite a challenge using the Uniseals in a thin walled tub. Shoving the trough through the Uniseals even well greased with vaseline, caused the tub to flex a lot which made things more difficult to line up the edges of the trough on the inside vs. the closed part of the PVC on each side. The transition of one side of the half cut out for the trough wanted to catch in the Uniseal.

Will attach a squarish garbage can to the side for two sock filters soon. Tomorrow I am going to put the plumbing together.

The 200 micron sieve screen I bought used from a member on this site. Thank you once again Koiphen! You people are the best!
      The risk I took was calculated, but man am I bad at math!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

ccna101 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

IMHO, the thin wall will not hold water and eventually flood the clean side...

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
      Gave up on putting it into a blue barrel as for me to get the angle right, the trough would have had to been really far to one side of the barrel. Wasn't sure if I could do that with the Uniseals as they would have been at quite an angle due to the roundness of the barrel. I opted for making the trough out of 3 inch PVC vs. 2 inch, and putting the sieve in squarish tub I picked up at Dollar General for about $9.00. I will just drop the flow in via gravity through the top instead of plumbing in my intake pipe through the side of tub.

This is part of a vary small inside system of only 150 gallons for the circular fish tank. The water flows from the bottom drain and the skimmer and simply drops via gravity onto the sieve filter. Solids are directed to two sock filters and the rest of the water drops into a moving bed filter directly under the sieve filter. All the water minus most of the solids are then pumped to the bottom of a downsized Birdman Sand and Gravel filter, and then over flow is back to the fish tank.

I will tell you it was quite a challenge using the Uniseals in a thin walled tub. Shoving the trough through the Uniseals even well greased with vaseline, caused the tub to flex a lot which made things more difficult to line up the edges of the trough on the inside vs. the closed part of the PVC on each side. The transition of one side of the half cut out for the trough wanted to catch in the Uniseal.

Will attach a squarish garbage can to the side for two sock filters soon. Tomorrow I am going to put the plumbing together.

The 200 micron sieve screen I bought used from a member on this site. Thank you once again Koiphen! You people are the best!

is Koiphen fan

Feeling:
      Awesome

Not sure what you mean? Can you elaborate?

If it makes any difference the water will not stay in the tote very long as in it will drop immediately out of the bottom to an open blue barrel where the plastic media is. And we are looking at only 900 gph. Only a small amount of water should go into the trough and to the next container in which water will be pumped out to the sand and gravel filter.

I welcome your comments but you need to provide more specifics.

Thanks!
      Last edited by Cecil; 10-24-2016 at 09:29 PM.

is Koiphen fan

Feeling:
      Awesome

Please come back. I want to know if I'm missing something.

Thanks!

Jojoartie is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Perhaps what ccna101 is trying to say is that the sides of the rubbermaid container might bow out under the water pressure. You could help support the sides with some 2x4s boxed around it.

is Koiphen fan

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Jojoartie View Post
      Perhaps what ccna101 is trying to say is that the sides of the rubbermaid container might bow out under the water pressure. You could help support the sides with some 2x4s boxed around it.
      Thank you! Now I do understand. That said the water will fall through so rapidly into the moving bed filter directly underneath I'm not sure that will necessary. But I will see.

is Koiphen fan

Feeling:
      Awesome

Thanks. Make sense.

BTW here is one out of a plastic tote also. As you can see the water goes out so quickly there really is no fear of the sides bursting. I see a few things I would not do but overall it seems to work. And of course it's not sieve material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaDlanYT6oQ

is Koiphen fan

Feeling:
      Awesome

Yes you make a good case for the wooden frame and it will be indoors.

" I believe this was scrap thay Zack had left over."

Not sure what you mean?

ccna101 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi Cecil,

Yes IMHO, the plastic side wall are too thin to hold the water for a sieve application .

Great DIY work btw, thank you for sharing.

Dong

is Koiphen fan

Feeling:
      Awesome

No issues with the tote holding water as there isn't much in the bottom as it passes immediately to the biofilter underneath it. The trough water passes to another container that houses 200 micron filter socks. Clean water from there goes to a sump and joins water overflow from the biofilter.

Sorry can't post pics right now as for some reason Photobucket is not letting me upload photos. No reason for it; it just won't work. Since support there is a joke I will be changing to flickr.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

is Koiphen fan

Feeling:
      Awesome

It's working great! No worries about the tote bursting as there is virtually no water in the bottom of it. There is a hole in the bottom where the water immediately dumps into the moving bed filter below it. I have the hole on top of the outside edge of the moving bed filter drum so it immediately goes down where the media is in the moving bed filter drum. (Diffuser in the bottom of the moving bed drum pushing the media up in the center and down the sides.)

Only downside may be more water goes into the trough than I anticipated, but it's no big deal as that water gets dumped into two 200 micron filter socks mounted in a large waste basket, and then that water minus the solids that are trapped in the socks overflows to a sump tank of the system so no water is wasted. May be due to the angle of the filter not optimum?

I wish I could post pictures here but I can't seem to upload pictures on Photobucket anymore. Every time I go to upload a picture it takes me back to the log in. So I log in AGAIN, and try to upload again, and it takes me back to the login. I have contacted Photobucket and they aren't much help. Switching over to Flickr but haven't had time to really do it.
      Last edited by Cecil; 01-16-2017 at 11:02 PM.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

It's working great! No worries about the tote bursting as there as virtually now water in the bottom of it. There is a hole in the bottom where the water immediately dumps into the moving bed filter below it. I have the hole on top of the outside edge of the moving bed filter drum so it immediately goes down where the media goes down. (Diffuser in the bottom of the moving bed drum pushing the media up in the center and down the sides.)

Only downside may be more water goes into the trough than I anticipated, but it's no big deal as that water gets dumped into two 200 micron filter socks mounted in a large waste basket, and then that water minus the solids that are trapped in the socks overflows to a sump tank of the system so no water is wasted. May be due to the angle of the filter not optimum?

I wish I could post pictures here but I can't seem to upload pictures on Photobucket anymore. Every time I go to upload a picture it takes me back to the log in. So I log in AGAIN, and try to upload again, and it takes me back to the login. I have contacted Photobucket and they aren't much help. Switching over to Flickr but haven't had time to really do it.
      Good to hear it's working well!

You could just post pictures here. No 3rd party site needed.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

is Koiphen fan

Feeling:
      Awesome

I tweaked something. The 3 inch trough filled to the brim and some water went over the edge of the trough to the bottom of the tote. I tilted the tote just a little and now the trough does not fill to the top and the water in the trough immediately goes to the sock filters.

I'm kind of disappointed how much water does not go through the sieve but it is what it is.

Edit:

Removed the screen and power washed with a garden hose and nozzle and it was amazing how much more water goes through the sieve screen now. Didn't look very clogged but...
      Last edited by Cecil; 01-15-2017 at 09:54 PM.

is Koiphen fan

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post

You could just post pictures here. No 3rd party site needed.
      Hey didn't know that. Cool! Will do soon.

velvetbone is offline Supporting Member
      is Still Learning

Feeling:
      Awesome

Bump for updates! How so this working?
      V

kimini is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I will tell you it was quite a challenge using the Uniseals in a thin walled tub. Shoving the trough through the Uniseals even well greased with vaseline, caused the tub to flex a lot which made things more difficult to line up the edges of the trough on the inside vs. the closed part of the PVC on each side. The transition of one side of the half cut out for the trough wanted to catch in the Uniseal...
      Zoki51 created an installation tool - without which I would have had a heck of a time installing 4" Uniseals in drums.
      https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...hlight=uniseal

If you don't want to make the tool, a quick solution is cutting a piece of appropriate-diameter tubing to fit across the inside of the drum in order to keep it from collapsing.
      Last edited by kimini; 06-13-2017 at 12:41 PM.
      Author of Midlana, Build this High Performance Mid-engine Sports Car. http://midlana.com/stuff/book

guardianx9 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Where and how much did u pay for the 200 micron sieve..

is Koiphen fan

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by velvetbone View Post
      Bump for updates! How so this working?
      V
      Although I have shut down the system for the summer I had no problems whatsoever with the sieve and tote. As I indicated there is no worry about overload of the tote as the water quickly falls through.

is Koiphen fan

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by guardianx9 View Post
      Where and how much did u pay for the 200 micron sieve..

I got it on this site used for I think it was $200.00 which included shipping.
      Last edited by Cecil; 07-07-2018 at 08:18 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007