• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: 5 new koi

rcmike is offline Supporting Member
      is Still learning every day!

Feeling:
      Embarrased

5 new koi

Hello everyone. I picked up 5 new koi from a local pond place today. They were in the 6-8 inch Japanese koi tub. They were picked out by me, my wife, and two sons. I tried to sneak in a little that might havea little potential but the selections were mostly based on the "that one has pretty colors" factor. Just curious if any of these have future potential to turn into decent koi and what some are. I'm assuming the last two are some kind of asagi and a kohaku. Sorry for the iPhone picture quality.
      Attached Images Attached Images      

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I like your pics, especially the shusui.

Feeling:
      Embarrased

Thanks, I have since learned that the second to last one is a shusui and not an asagi as I first thought.

I posted the pictures on a Facebook group also and a couple of people with keen eyes noticed the reflective scales on the white of the kohaku and said it was a pearl gin rin. Here is a little better picture that shows that.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

TylerDurden is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The doitsu lemon hariwaki (yellow and white) looks like it needs to have a good meal or 7. They should all be fun pond grade koi to watch grow.

The first one looks to be a showa, not sure on pic 2...

Feeling:
      Embarrased

Yes, that little guy is really malnourished looking. The reason we got that one is we got to the store right before they closed and a very nice girl was catching the koi and showing them to us. She didn't know much about the varieties but seemed to really enjoy helping us out. We ended up going about 10 minutes over and we had all but that one. My wife wanted a yellow and white one and there were quite a few of them that looked much better. The girl caught one but it jumped out of the net. About that time the guy that works behind the counter came out and kind of rudely asked the girl if she needed help because he wanted to go home. She wasn't having any problem at all catching them but she handed him the net. He scooped up this one and asked my wife if it was okay. She said it was fine. I asked her if she was sure, knowing it was skinny and she said it was fine. Honestly I would have been fine without it but she wanted one that color. The good news is he is eating very well. Hopefully he will fatten up.

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

The kohaku "may" have some ginrin scales on it but I wouldn't really say it has Pearl GinRin, just a some scales with gaunine showing through. You can find many koi with this attribute, but IMHO, this is "probably" a kohaku. I also see a couple small black spots on the shoulder area that could either be what is referred to as "shimis" but also could indicate this one might turn out to be a Goshiki or Goromo.

#1 - Showa
      #2 - Kawarigoi ( mixed variety with no definitive varietal name)
      #3 - Doitsu Lemon Hariwake
      #4 - Shusui
      #5 - kohaku (?)
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Feeling:
      Embarrased

I looked at ithe in the daylight tonight and couldn't see any reflections in the scales. I think it was just the flash making it show up.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007