• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Swim Bladder problem

Tadpolerosie13 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Swim Bladder problem

I have a beautiful, big, 12 year old Chinese coi who appears to have just developed a swim bladder problem. He is still able to right himself but tends to head face down with his tail out of the water when he can't. I've checked water chemicals, and all I've tested is good, and the other fish are all fine. I've read so many things about dealing with this, such as giving frozen peas, warmer water, etc. but wondered if anyone has found an immediate solution to this that worked? He's still okay but I don't know what to do with him to get him back to normal? Please help if you know anything that might work. Thank you so much.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

I've not had much experience with this but know swim bladder problems are sometimes misdiagnosed.

Do you have a picture of the fish? Here's how to post a picture too if you need help:

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...tures-Tutorial

Until more help arrives it would be good to give us some background information too. What size is the pond? How many, kind, and size?
      What filtration is on the pond? Is there rock/gravel on the bottom? Pictures of the pond?
      And better than just the fact that you checked the water chemicals is actual numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, temperature...

The more info makes it more helpful for those that can offer possible treatments.
      I'll move your thread to the Emergency and Health forum too...
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

koiman1950 is offline Senior Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

You mentioned you tested water chemicals and all was good. What does that mean? What tests did you perform and what were the results of those tests?
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

ademink is offline Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Head down w/ the tail pointing up is often a bacterial issue and can be serious. Please provide the information requested above so we can start assisting you.
      Andrea
      Koi Health Care Committee Member

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you so much for asking for more information.
      Nitrate tested between 5 & 10 (summer heat has begun here)
      Nitrite 0
      Ph 7.2
      Ammonia 0
      Since I posted this issue, I've changed 35% of the water, vacuumed out sludge on and under rocks, etc., and added an additional 5 pounds of salt. I have 530 gallon pond, and had added 10 pounds salt a week ago, due to another fish injuring itself with a wound, which has now completely healed. Added 10 pounds initially instead of more because I have hornwart plants in pond and didn't want to kill them. Since I changed the water, this fish has been able to swim back and forth and around normally, especially when the sun is on one end of the pond. But early in the morning it tilts its head down and I have to move it slightly to get it to come up to a normal swimming position. Please let me know if you need any more information, and thank you.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you for your questions. My pond is 530 gallons, approx 3-4 feet deep and 15 feet long. I have 4 large coi, 2 small shubinkins, and a bay coi from a previous female that is no longer in the pond. The filtration consists of "plumbing" that runs under the pond that goes into my garage (next to the pond) with filtration in there. There is a waterfall at one end and the skimmer is at the other.
      This is a photo of my coi, George when swimming normally.Name:  George.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  129.9 KB I'll have to take a another photo of him when his head and down and add that as soon as I have that.

Water tested:
      ph 72
      Ammonia 0
      Nitrate 5-10
      Water temp is 68 (and rising due to warm weather)
      2/3rds of the pond is always in shade, 1/3 is in morning shade and gets about an hour of sun in the afternoon.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Forgot to add that the pond has a liner with gravel on the bottom.

koiman1950 is offline Senior Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Your assessment of your pond seems a bit off if it truly is 15' long and 3-4' depth. It sounds much larger than 530 gal. You also might want to think of renaming your (k)oi Georgina as it appears to be a girl.

You mention that you vacuumed, but did you get all the mulm out from within/under the gravel? That, without a bottom drain, will allow alot of bad stuff to accumulate within the gravel causing a serious health risk due to developing hydrogen sulfide and methane gasses. When disturbed, if in heavy quantities, can kill or make your fish quite sick.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks, Mike. My pond is a kidney shape and is very narrow in the middle of the "kidney" so not a rectangle. When I had the pond put in, the owner of that company helped me to figure out the gallons. Thanks for asking about my removing what's under gravel. I have vacuumed under the rocks that are on the side, but not yet under the gravel. So I will do that next. While George may appear to have a female shape, he has quite a straight body, so don't believe he is Georgina. But thank you for mentioning that. I've had him since 2005 and he has never had any health issue until this one. I'm attaching photos of him swimming yesterday with his head down and tail up. Don't know if this helps figure anything out. I am able to get him to "right" himself by reaching in the pond and touching him, and sometimes just calling him makes him turn around and straighten up and swim normally. He is a very friendly fish and has always responded to my voice.Name:  George tail up2.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  160.3 KB
      Name:  George tail up1.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  131.0 KB

MartyDopps is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Are there any updates on this thread? It looked like it just stopped, and I'm curious how George turned out.