• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Unintended Breeding Dilema!

TxLbbGuy is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Unintended Breeding Dilema!

My koi pond is about 1800 gallons and most of the 7 koi are 4-5 years old. I do have two goldfish in there as well. This past week I discovered they obviously spawned and breed this spring as there are 10-15 babies that survived and are now about 3-4 inches long. I am guessing they are koi because they are several different colors. Some look just like my blue/black marbaled koi, so I am sure he/she is one of the parents, but there are also some that are orange and white like one of the other large koi that is all white with some orange patches. The problem is that there are also some that are orange/black/red marbled and I dont have any adults that are that color. My question is can koi produce babies with colors and patterns that are nothing like their own? Otherwise I have no idea which ones are the parents. As I say, two of them clearly look like my blue/black marbled adult, but the others, while beautiful in color, look nothing like any of the other adults. Thanks for any guidance or input on this!

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by TxLbbGuy View Post
      .... can koi produce babies with colors and patterns that are nothing like their own?
      Generally speaking, yes, within limitations. This is even more common when koi of different varieties spawn. Usually, you will see some similarity in colors and patterns, but not always. Typically, one female will lay eggs, and every mature male in the pond will compete to fertilize them. Sometimes another female then lays her eggs and all the males fertilize those eggs. So if you have different varieties of adults, you may get a lot of different looking little koi.

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

... there are 10-15 babies that survived and are now about 3-4 inches long.
      And by the way, 3-4 inches is pretty big for this early in the year.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

We had a very early spring in West Texas so I am sure they were spawning in April as the water temp was already in the 70's by then, so they are probably a couple of months old and growing fast!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wow, ok that is VERY helpful to know. As I say, most of them have similar colors to the adults, but there are some with the three colored marbling that I dont have any adults like. It is going to be an adventure getting them out without draining the pond, but I will have to take out some because it will be way to many fish for the size of the pond.

cindy is offline WWKC Vice President
      is God is good :)

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      If they are koi they will have barbels or whiskers
      My opinions in ER and on this forum are mine only. Use my advice at your own discretion.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

K.O.I.

Member: EIHIOICGI

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...nd-Information

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...06#post2606106 Show thread

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by cindy View Post
      If they are koi they will have barbels or whiskers
      Thanks Cindy. I am sure most are koi as they look almost like the parents and the coloring is nothing like a gold fish. However, there are a couple that look like they could be, so when I start trying to net them out individually I am going to check for the whiskers then.

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wow, ok that is VERY helpful to know. As I say, most of them have similar colors to the adults, but there are some with the three colored marbling that I dont have any adults like. It is going to be an adventure getting them out without draining the pond, but I will have to take out some because it will be way to many fish for the size of the pond.
      Baited minnow trap would be very helpful in this situation.

Koigrl is offline Supporting Member
      is koigrl is enjoying her feesh.
      :)

Feeling:
      Awesome

congratulations!
      You're going to have some fun with your new kids.

Ki Shusui Project : 300k Challenge : 500k Build : Flock Spawn Jamboree : Our Ki Midori Champions

Ten minute video of Russ Peters sexing our future ki shusui oyagoi. : http://youtu.be/AhROs1cjC18

Updated for the 2018 Harvest: What is "ki shusui?" Short version http://www.kishusui.com

Twelve seconds that are the entire point of the last seven years!
      https://youtu.be/zNqTJgM3lpY

If you're reading this, you're on Team Ki.
      Kichi loves company. Max

K-POTY 2013

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

... It is going to be an adventure getting them out without draining the pond, but I will have to take out some because it will be way to many fish for the size of the pond.
      I find it much easier to net koi at night by putting on a head-lamp so the koi can't see the net. It helps if no other lights are on in the yard and if the net and its rim are black, not shiny.