• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Nymphaea prolifera

little_mikey is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Nymphaea prolifera

I managed to snag a Nymphaea amazonum from tricker this year and I really like it so far. It seems to be self-pollinating, but at any rate I made sure I payed attention when the fruit it came with burst. I am sure I will get some of the seedlings up eventually, but I kinda hate seeds.

Nymphaea prolifera looks almost obnoxious in terms of cranking out babies, but it looks like a good thing to have around (kind of like duckweed).

Anybody seen it for sale?

gander is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD ~ 2018 KPOTY
      is birds flying high you know how
      I feel

Feeling:
      Awesome

Never heard of it got any pics?
      "most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song
      still in them."
      I wish I could sing

OK.TN.

CraigP is online now Senior Member
      is Needing No Insane Clown Posse

Feeling:
      Amused

I am passingly familiar with N. proliferation < g > http://www.watergardenersinternation.../gallery1.html
      "Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." ~ Jimi Hendrix

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

"On entering this world our starting-point is ignorance. None, however, but idiots remain there."~ Horace Mann

Craig

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

@Craig
      Thats cool!
      Any idea on how to overwinter it? Do hydrocallis tolerate zone 9 outright or can they tuber?

You still have some or did something happen to them? I can't imagine something that prolific disappearing, unless it was like the ultimate weed from hell or something.

Since I am kinda bummed about my "Red Flare" situation in my main display I think I am just going to take my elegans/amazon/hyacynth to make a "new world" pond.

Just wish I knew what to expect with hydrocallis lilies... My minuta seedlings take like 18 months from seed depending on how early in the season they start. I sincerely hope I can get a couple amazonum up by the end of the season. People talk about getting seeds up to blooming in 3 months. I don't know how they do it.

Feeling:
      Amused

I'm 9b/10a and in protected ponds the hydrocallis overwinter as tubers.....N. jamesoniana, in fact, is native to southwest FL, but the bloom is cleistogamous and invariable opens underwater...if it opens. Three months is not unheard of from sprout to bloom, even my Vic seedlings bloom within that time frame.

But 'nough said here....I don't need to be 'dinged' for going off topic. And while I do have prolifera, rules prevent me from selling on KP.....even though I have closed the nursery and surrendered my nursery license and EIN number, I don't believe I am even allowed to use the trading function section of the forum.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

"On entering this world our starting-point is ignorance. None, however, but idiots remain there."~ Horace Mann

Craig

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

@Craig As I understand jamesonia is endangered/protected... A shame as I really like when people can commit to growing the natives...

So would you say hydrocallis are more likely to die back and tuber than say a micrantha hybrid here in Florida?
      I have a giant bathtub/jacuzi thing my neighbors threw out as my winter pond. I plan to wrap a clear shower curtain (smallish air gap)... so hopefully 65-85 water temps all winter. I only want to reserve space for stuff that really needs the warm water and won't tuber (Minuta.... Jongkolnee? ).

Eventually now that I just ripped out all my lovely "Red Flare" plants from my main display I put elegans and amazonum in. My plan was to put something that would require no effort and would just "spring up" every year from tubers in the mud. There is a public park in Ft. Pierce that has feral night bloomers that have been around for 30+ years. Like a 1/2 acre pond full of white/pink flowers. I figured that would be something my parents could figure out when I graduate next year.

Out of curiosity when you say you have prolifera, do you mean I get like 5 pups available per season with some effort? Or I use them to line my garbage can weekly (like micrantha hybrids)...

Feeling:
      Amused

Prolifera lives up to its name and produces goodly numbers of tubers from the gemmiparous blooms. But they are easily controlled by dead heading and are nothing like the weeds that are the micrantha hybrids....which seemed to have largely disappeared from the hobby.

Hydrocallis are no more difficult in my experience than the capensis. And yes, N. jamesoniana is listed as endangered in FL, but that is largely due to FL being the northern limit of the range; as a species per se, it is secure. And endangered means it cannot be collected from the wild, but can be legally obtained from cultivated collections. Mine came from a friend on staff in the biology department at UFL.
      Last edited by CraigP; 06-09-2017 at 07:47 PM.

Craig

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thats really neat to know. Does jamesonia self pollinate like amazonum? My amazonum has been spewing 800 or so seeds every week since I got it. Its like a fat minuta.

Idk I like foliage just as much as flowers. I would like to find some space filling plants to keep on hand.

Feeling:
      Amused

Jamesoniana is decidedly self-fertile. It is cleistogamous, which essentially means the bloom will produce seed, even if never opens or opens underwater......never opening was a common occurrence for me.

Craig

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

So basically like minuta and gorgons. I still like the leaf shape for the hydrocallis. The value of good background filler cannot be underestimated.