• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: What Mikey has...

little_mikey is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

What Mikey has...

I have I think 18 types of lilies and some are pretty productive. As long as it does not become a nuisance, I don't mind sharing some of my material. I HATE the idea of throwing plants away. I prefer trades, but I have the following in abundance. Depending on what it is I might be willing to sent you something free if you pay shipping. PM me if interested (fyi I may be quite slow to respond)
      Update Sept 2017:
      My new rationale is to list all the plants I have whether or not I actually have/am willing to share them ATM as things change so rapidly (i.e. I find a spare tuber). This way folks can say "Mikey could you save me XYZ over the next few months?".

Things I have (rarer):
      Islamorada
      Foxfire
      Gigantea - Blue
      Gigantea - Lestang
      Nang Kwag/ Indian Goddess - White
      Euryale ferrox
      elegans
      Rhonda Kay
      Miami Rose
      Black Princess
      Lindsey Woods
      Phoebus
      Canaveral Mexicana
      Sulfura
      Jongkolnee
      "False Leopardess"
      "Ruby-like"

Live Plants (in abundance):
      Madame Ganna Walska
      Colorata
      Helvola
      Shirley Bryne
      Terri Dunn
      Wanvisa
      Mankala Ubol
      UNK Mottled Leaves/Vivip/Purple Flower/Thailand
      White Night Bloomer
      Pink Night Bloomer

Seeds:
      Minuta
      Amazonum
      elegans

Name:  LiliesTrade.png
Views: 192
Size:  924.3 KB
      Last edited by little_mikey; 09-25-2017 at 02:29 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Since I have tossed out some stuff to people... I wanted to post my "how to" regarding potting lilies.

This link has the general method and is an important first step for newbies:
      http://www.watergarden.org/Aquatic-Plant-Care

After reading that material you can see what I do differently and pick which steps work for you.

Name:  IMG_9941.jpeg
Views: 152
Size:  124.1 KB
      Holes- Lilies don't like deep pots that have totally anaerobic pockets of dirt.... but making holes in the pot bottom leads to a mess of delicate roots hanging out. Also letting the roots escape doesn't make tubers as likely. So punch holes in the bottom of a pot that are too small for roots. I use a hot tip of a battery powered soldering iron. Holes should be 1-2 mm. I sometimes use push pins.

Name:  1a .jpeg
Views: 153
Size:  94.1 KB
      I start with a relatively hot mix of granular fertilizer 10:10:10 and get around the algae bloom by sequestering it as best I can. This fertilizer dissolves slowly but is a good back-up so your lilies never completely starve out during the blooming season. Its also cheap. Not gonna make good blooms on its own though...

Name:  IMG_2077.jpeg
Views: 149
Size:  115.8 KB
      Peat- my magic trick... Many people emphatically say that peat moss is terrible because it floats out, but it is hugely important. Fertilizer needs some media to bind to. In Florida the really quartzy sandy top soil lets the fertilizer dissolve out. The peat moss soaks up the fertilizer and slowly releases it. You keep it from floating out by layering dirt over it.

Name:  IMG_3195.jpeg
Views: 148
Size:  220.7 KB
      bloom booster
      I don't use fancy pond tabs...(poor college student). I use water soluble orchid fertilizer meant for blooms. It is 11:35:15. I have also used miracle grow bloom booster. Using this water soluble fertilizer made a dramatic improvement on my plants. It is hot and it dissolves out easily... But sitting on the peat it soaks in. See the next step to understand why.

Name:  IMG_3696.jpeg
Views: 149
Size:  116.3 KB
      Clay- I make a layer of clay to cap my fertilizer. Clay also is absorbent on its own and fertilizer like binds to it to. Maybe don't pack it so thick that your lilies roots can't dig in, but thick enough to keep all your fertilizer/moss down (1-1.5 cm).

Name:  IMG_5900.jpeg
Views: 145
Size:  114.8 KB
      dirt + Fert
      Now you can start piling dirt in (topsoil from your yard).
      You can periodically sprinkle some (a small amount) of the orchid fertilizer into the dirt if you desire (so plants can get to fertilizer faster).

Name:  IMG_5985.jpeg
Views: 146
Size:  210.4 KB
      Now fill the pot up however far you want with plain topsoil. Make a bowl depression in the center for the plant.

I would recommend wetting this pot up now gently and letting it sit overnight or 30 minutes. This gets the air bubbles out.

Then when you are ready lay the plant down and cover with some more topsoil... or ideally sand if you have some (doesn't foul water).
      Last edited by little_mikey; 06-22-2017 at 06:31 PM.

freedam is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Received your plants! Some of them have absolutely huge lily pads! Is that distinctive to a certain lily? Can't wait to see what colors grow! Also, lots of small leaves already shooting up! Thank you!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Name:  IMG_2707.jpeg
Views: 127
Size:  318.3 KBName:  IMG_3038.jpeg
Views: 125
Size:  336.1 KB

Top Pic (Left to right):
      odorata, helvola, colorata

Bottom:
      Terri Dunn viviparous leaves... don't remember if I tucked some in addition to what I sent you.

Actually odorata is the largest pads (1.5ft). Helvola and colorata are dwarf lilies.

angieonthehill is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for sharing Mikey. And for being so generous! I'm very happy to have some new (to me) waterlilies to enjoy!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by angieonthehill View Post
      Thanks for sharing Mikey. And for being so generous! I'm very happy to have some new (to me) waterlilies to enjoy!
      I love the plants you sent me as well. Its like Christmas morning over here.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Name:  IMG_4179.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  112.4 KB

@Angie
      Thanks for the Madame Ganna Walska! It/they (many babies) are beautiful.