• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Results 1 to 13 of 13

    Thread: Need advice on a new pump.

    1. #1
      gayler's Avatar
      gayler is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2010
      Location
      Dry and windy Lakin Ks
      Posts
      169

      Need advice on a new pump.

      Current pump was a Pondmaster Hy-Drive 4800. It has died. In the future I want to upgrade filtration so I need a pump that can run inline or submersed. Should I replace with the same pump or something different?

    2. #2
      kimini is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      821
      With that post count you know we can better help with more background information on your pond system.

    3. #3
      Russell Peters's Avatar
      Russell Peters is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Location
      people vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better
      Posts
      24,594
      Quote Originally Posted by gayler View Post
      Current pump was a Pondmaster Hy-Drive 4800. It has died. In the future I want to upgrade filtration so I need a pump that can run inline or submersed. Should I replace with the same pump or something different?
      Keep it simple, replace it with the same thing, they are good pumps.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

    4. #4
      gayler's Avatar
      gayler is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2010
      Location
      Dry and windy Lakin Ks
      Posts
      169
      Quote Originally Posted by kimini View Post
      With that post count you know we can better help with more background information on your pond system.
      Ok, Its a 2500 gal pond, three feet deep. Pump is in the skimmer feeding a 55watt uv going to a sand and gravel filter. I am happy with the flow of the pump, but was looking for advice on a submersible pump that at a later time could also be used inline after a gravity fed filter.

    5. #5
      daboyman4 is offline Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Nov 2016
      Location
      middlesex
      Posts
      52
      Buy an Oase Aquamax pump ... you get upto 5 years warranty with it and they operate as a wet and dry pump .. so far its been a very good pump.. mine is an Aquamax gravity and with only 65 watt pushing out 10'000 LPH you cant go wrong ... good luck with shopping for a pump...

    6. #6
      BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 99653285232.9
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Mar 2013
      Location
      ZONE 5
      Posts
      2,496
      you can buy repair parts for this pump. Is it beyond repair?

    7. #7
      gayler's Avatar
      gayler is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2010
      Location
      Dry and windy Lakin Ks
      Posts
      169
      Quote Originally Posted by BWG View Post
      you can buy repair parts for this pump. Is it beyond repair?
      It is tripping the breaker

    8. #8
      koiman1950's Avatar
      koiman1950 is offline Senior Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is semi retired
       
      Feeling:
      Tired
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      San Jose, Ca
      Posts
      19,268
      Quote Originally Posted by gayler View Post
      It is tripping the breaker
      Most likely due to a break in the integrity of where the cord enters the body of the unit or a clogged impeller. If it has to do with a short in the cord, you could end up electrocuting your fish. good thing you have a GFCI breaker (or do you)?

      This is the biggest problem with these submersible pumps. Some are better than others, but all can cause a potential for electrical issues. You may not know it until you stick your hand in the water or see your fish trying to swim but are spiraling out of control. If you're planning on improving your filtration, you might want to read some of the "filtration stickies" here and include an external medium head/self-priming pumps to go with it all.
      Mike

      check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net



      "Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

    9. #9
      gayler's Avatar
      gayler is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2010
      Location
      Dry and windy Lakin Ks
      Posts
      169
      Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      Most likely due to a break in the integrity of where the cord enters the body of the unit or a clogged impeller. If it has to do with a short in the cord, you could end up electrocuting your fish. good thing you have a GFCI breaker (or do you)?

      This is the biggest problem with these submersible pumps. Some are better than others, but all can cause a potential for electrical issues. You may not know it until you stick your hand in the water or see your fish trying to swim but are spiraling out of control. If you're planning on improving your filtration, you might want to read some of the "filtration stickies" here and include an external medium head/self-priming pumps to go with it all.
      Yes it is on a GFCI. I too was thinking damaged insulation on the cord. It will run when dry but in water it tripped the breaker. I have read all the filtration stickies and an saving my money for a RDF,two four inch drains and a second skimmer.

    10. #10
      koiman1950's Avatar
      koiman1950 is offline Senior Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is semi retired
       
      Feeling:
      Tired
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      San Jose, Ca
      Posts
      19,268
      Quote Originally Posted by gayler View Post
      Yes it is on a GFCI. I too was thinking damaged insulation on the cord. It will run when dry but in water it tripped the breaker. I have read all the filtration stickies and an saving my money for a RDF,two four inch drains and a second skimmer.

      Yep! throw that thing away and like Russ said, for now, just replace with the exact same model pump. Glad to hear about your future plans. Sounds great@!
      Mike

      check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net



      "Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

    11. #11
      gayler's Avatar
      gayler is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2010
      Location
      Dry and windy Lakin Ks
      Posts
      169
      Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      Yep! throw that thing away and like Russ said, for now, just replace with the exact same model pump. Glad to hear about your future plans. Sounds great@!
      Got a pump on order. It should be here tomorrow. Now if I can get everyone to pitch in to raise funds for an upgrade!

    12. #12
      koiman1950's Avatar
      koiman1950 is offline Senior Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is semi retired
       
      Feeling:
      Tired
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      San Jose, Ca
      Posts
      19,268
      Quote Originally Posted by gayler View Post
      got a pump on order. It should be here tomorrow. Now if i can get everyone to pitch in to raise funds for an upgrade!
      lol!
      Mike

      check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net



      "Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

    13. #13
      gayler's Avatar
      gayler is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2010
      Location
      Dry and windy Lakin Ks
      Posts
      169
      Got the pump replaced. I may get flamed for it but I got an Alpine PAL5200. I've never heard of the company. It just fits in the skimmer and seams to put out slightly more volume than the old pump. It seams well built.

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •