Thread: PP and frogs

ow3232
    has not specified a status.

PP and frogs

Has anyone used PP in a pond where frogs are present? If so, what levels did you use or can be used without harming the frog population?

stevek
    Yes, I have used pp , and the frogs made it through just fine. I used a low concentration, however, as I don't know the exact gallonage of the pond ( around 4000 ) . Since I have a healthy population of plant material , and plenty of surface area for algae to cling to, my pp always oxidizes quickly , within 20 minutes or so. I have repeated the low dose a second time, and the color still goes away relatively quickly, so the organics are using up the pp . Never noticed any dead or injured frogs- I have about 5 bullfrogs in the ponds that hang out in the plants.

montwila
    is almost off extension cords.
    Senior Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
    2-3 ppm used to "clean up the water" will not hurt the frogs.

ow3232
    Thanks for the replies. Yes this is being done to clean up the water.

friscoponder
    at what level, Is PP safe for the filter?

nmtsaki
    Is missing her baby boy
    Senior Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
    Also, I imagine that if the PP was irritating to the product they would leave for a few, and maybe hang out side of the pond for a while. I would not go over for ppm for using PP at any time, unless you are treating for parasites and using it as a dick personally when I used PP, I have not gone over 1 to 2 ppm Max. If you are not exactly sure of your gallons, even a small uncertainty can cause a big variation in the amount of PP added and could be harmful, if not fatal to your fish. It's always best to err on the side of caution.

Also when you are using PP, please make sure to wear goggles or glasses, gloves and a facemask. It is very toxic to humans -- The powder is very fine and can easily blow towards your face and can cause blindness; it can get into your lungs and cause respiratory damage, and it also stains (oxidizes) your hands. While taking care of all of this personal protection for yourself because of its toxicity, think about what it's doing to your fish, even for a short duration. This is one of the reasons I preferred to use it in low doses. 1 to 2 ppm is just fine for your filtration system.

Good luck, and if you would like a really good link to read up on PP usage, the following are pretty good:

This one deals with both sodium percarbonate and potassium permanganate:

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...m+percarbonate

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...rmanganate+use

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Favorite Quotes:
    The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

icu2
    should be off flying somwhere
    Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
    Quote Originally Posted by friscoponder View Post
    at what level, Is PP safe for the filter?
    I think some might depend on the filter... but I use 2ppm routinely with a shower and I see an effect
    on the bio but only about .006 rise in NH3 and it lasts for about 4 hours.

--Steve
    Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington