• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Is it true doitsu koi have bad DNA?

Bkkgemstones is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Is it true doitsu koi have bad DNA?

I wanted to buy a top quality doitsu sanke, showa and kohaku but my dealer is trying to talk me out of it. he is saying that the doitsu is amazing at 2 years old but when they get older they will look like a pregnant goldfish as the doitsu typically has bad DNA. Is this true?

he has no reason to talk me out of it other than he doesn't stock this type of fish. he does however have great fish from sakai and dainty farms which he visits almost 10 times per year. he has customer with extremely rich taste ($50,000 USD and up per fish) so I guess he does know what he is talking about.

what do you all say about the older doitsu koi and their body form from 3 years +

Name:  IMG_9618.JPG
Views: 250
Size:  14.9 KBName:  IMG_9623.JPG
Views: 250
Size:  21.5 KB

ricshaw is offline Senior Member
      is required to take minimum
      distribution on IRA

Feeling:
      Amused

Doitsu genetics is no worst than Gin Rin or Long Fin genetics IMO.

To understand what your dealer is saying about Doitsu Koi problems when they mature, you need to look at the original doitsu carp where the doitsu mutation came from.
      Last edited by ricshaw; 04-25-2017 at 03:09 PM.

Marilyn is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes, it is true. Even the very best Doitsu koi competing at the AJKS do not exhibit the same strong bodies as the Wagoi koi. While your dealer says it's DNA, I call it genetics but it's saying the same thing. Doitsu koi have weaker bellies and tails. I'm sure that is why he said they look like goldfish a little ways into maturity.

I'm including a link to the most recent AJKS and you can see both Doitsu and Wagoi koi and do your own comparisons. The thread is excellent because it shows the koi, not only in the traditional show pose, but also often from the sides. It gives a much more realistic and thorough perception of the AJKS participants.

http://pskoi.com/forums/viewtopic.ph...t=97&start=110
      Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

inazuma28 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Even that showa that you posted has a non-ideal body. And thats just about as good as doitsu get (At this time). You can clearly see, at the midpoint of the dorsal, the transition from belly to tail. optimally the body wall should be smooth and straight. when they get to breeding age they get distended bellies. this is what they were bred from (Mirror carp)- Now, even with that said, the progress breeders make in altering lines to their will is astounding and this might not be a problem for long. I know of a few farms that specialize in doitsu and im sure are working at body improvement.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Bkkgemstones is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you kindly. I may still choose to keep 1 doitsu in my pond but I'll be sure not to overpay knowing that later in life it will be something I'll probably let go rather than keep.