Thread: One koi won't eat

kkkoi
    has not specified a status.

One koi won't eat

I have a 2000 gal outdoor, above-ground tank with about 10 Koi. I've had these 10 fish for ~7 years with no problems. They probably weigh about 5 pounds each. Last fall a single Showa stopped eating. No other symptoms. Usually stayed at the bottom of the pond but was somewhat active. All other fish normal. As it went into winter the situation remained and the fish were not fed through the winter. I have started feeding again now in early April. A complete water change about 14 days ago. All fish eating as usual and remain fine except the same Showa, which has the same symptoms. It's abdomen may be extended, I'm about to net and take a closer look. Could it be egg bound? If so is there any home remedy? What are the other possibilities. I'm a new member and no expert, but I do have many years experience with this group of fish. Since the condition remained the same over winter it seems strange that only this one fish has symptoms. Pond always has clean water with heavy biological filtration. Thanks for any help. I did read some info on your forum in regard to egg blockage and was not encouraged by the treatments discussed.

RichToyBox
    Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
    Koi Health Care Committee Member
    I don't know what specifically is wrong, but pictures would be helpful. If you can net the fish and get pictures of both the top and bottom of the fish that would be better. Because most issues are caused by water conditions, we always like to be sure that the water parameters, ie ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, KH, temperature are good, and this gives us a chance to potentially improve conditions. This is not saying that it is water, just that we like to start with water.

Bloating of the belly can be eggs, can be tumor, or can be organ failure, and the opportunity to see pictures will help with the diagnosis.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
    Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
    Richard

kkkoi

Koi won't eat.

Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
    I don't know what specifically is wrong, but pictures would be helpful. If you can net the fish and get pictures of both the top and bottom of the fish that would be better. Because most issues are caused by water conditions, we always like to be sure that the water parameters, ie ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, KH, temperature are good, and this gives us a chance to potentially improve conditions. This is not saying that it is water, just that we like to start with water.

Bloating of the belly can be eggs, can be tumor, or can be organ failure, and the opportunity to see pictures will help with the diagnosis.
    =============

As originally stated, water is not a problem. I have very large capacity filtering, and unlimited access to spring water. All other koi are fine as usual. I checked and the belly is indeed distended. Not sure if I can get the photos tomorrow but the next day if not. Thanks.

mjfromga
    It doesn't help to say "water is not a problem". It does help to go and test and post exact parameters. Even if nothing is seen on tests, it could still be something in the water. Rich is asking for these numbers for a very good reason.

cindy
    scrape and scope better than dump and hope
    Moderator ~ WWKC Vice President ~
    Koi Health Care Committee Member
    Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
    Also check the mouth for a blockage or rock
    My opinions in ER and on this forum are mine only. Use my advice at your own discretion.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

K.O.I.

Member: EIHIOICGI

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...nd-Information

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...06#post2606106 Show thread

KoiRun
    finds his water more interesting than his fish
    It is often difficult, or even impossible, and carries risks, to give out advise if the information sought for is not provided.
    Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- John Lennon.

KoiValley
    is not dating anyone
    WWKC Lifetime Diamond Member #3 -
    Koi Health Care Committee Chairman
    Quote Originally Posted by kkkoi View Post
    =============

As originally stated, water is not a problem. I have very large capacity filtering, and unlimited access to spring water. All other koi are fine as usual. I checked and the belly is indeed distended. Not sure if I can get the photos tomorrow but the next day if not. Thanks.
    You would be surprised how many times the water IS the problem. That is why Rich asked for some testing.....and for your own benefit it might show you something unexpected. By elimination, testing will move this topic forward rather than stalling over "why testing". Your water could well be perfect so let's make sure of that and then move on to some pictures of your Showa.

Rich also asked for some pictures, which makes a lot of sense. top view, bottom view side view. It would be best if done in a reasonably large tub for better viewing. I often get a response when asking for pictures which reveals the true interest the hobbyist has in getting to the "bottom" of the problem. I think you know what I mean. Without some meaningful information there is little anyone can do but guess and this is no place for that. If you wish, we can walk you through sedating a fish for even better results.

So crank up your camera and let's take a look!

Regards,

Karl
    Last edited by KoiValley; 04-20-2017 at 02:07 PM.
    Karl Schoeler, founder: EIHIOICGI

Certified: AKCA Better Health Practices December 2008