• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: ZacoDraco.... Pump Fed DracoDrum into a Zakki Shower

Zac Penn is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

ZacoDraco.... Pump Fed DracoDrum into a Zakki Shower

More details to come but I figured I would share some pictures of the setup from the All Jacksonville Koi Show.

PerformancePro Artesian2 A2-1/4-58 water pump, pushing an estimated 5000 GPH through the DracoDrum for mechanical filtering, then through a 2 cu ft Zakki Shower that gravity flows back into the pond.

trumpetdoug is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That's what I'm talking about!!

Doug - out
      See Our Pond http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ond&highlight=

Blank Check Project - Helping those who stand on that wall. www.blankcheckproject.com

danbo is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Cool. I have a DracoDrum on order - to Phuket. Maybe the first RDF in Thailand....!

Dan
      Last edited by danbo; 04-09-2017 at 01:45 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I created a Facebook Group for the DracoDrum, so if you want the most up to date information about this RDF then please join the group...
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/1686739774953205/

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Here is a video describing the setup in detail...

bdel01 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

very nice! looks like it takes up less of a footprint diameter wise than a bead filter (aquabead 4.25). when do you think you will put a price tag on these and start selling? Also why would someone buy this over a pump fed profi/red label?
      best
      -ben

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by bdel01 View Post
      very nice! looks like it takes up less of a footprint diameter wise than a bead filter (aquabead 4.25). when do you think you will put a price tag on these and start selling? Also why would someone buy this over a pump fed profi/red label?
      Hey Ben,
      Sorry for the delay in response. Yes the ZacoDraco does reduce the footprint over a low head version of a bead filter, but a standard version of a 4.25 would probably be slightly smaller. The version above will be under $4,000 and include 2 cu ft of bio media inside the shower. That is one big reason for someone to purchase this setup over a pump-fed RDF system. You will get self cleaning mechanical filtration as well as high efficiency biological filtration for less than the cost of those RDFs.

I will have one of these ZacoDraco Filters on display at the Tri-State ZNA Show this year so you can get a close look at it next month.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Penn View Post
      Hey Ben,
      Sorry for the delay in response. Yes the ZacoDraco does reduce the footprint over a low head version of a bead filter, but a standard version of a 4.25 would probably be slightly smaller. The version above will be under $4,000 and include 2 cu ft of bio media inside the shower. That is one big reason for someone to purchase this setup over a pump-fed RDF system. You will get self cleaning mechanical filtration as well as high efficiency biological filtration for less than the cost of those RDFs.

I will have one of these ZacoDraco Filters on display at the Tri-State ZNA Show this year so you can get a close look at it next month.
      ok cool i will be there. heres a question. will you lose head pressure and gpf flow by going from a fully pressurized system (4.25 aquabead) to a gravity flow return? Also does your unit have built in SS UV lights?
      best
      -ben

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It will be nice to finally meet you Ben. You will eliminate head pressure by removing the restrictive bead filter from the system, which should yield you more total water flow. However you will loose some of the benefits of a fully pressurized return because you will have to gravity flow the water back tot he pond. Your original system with the bead filter would send the water back to the pond under pressure from the pump.

The unit above does NOT have a built in UV Clarifier, but as with everything we do at Deepwater Koi it can be customized to suite your needs. Our UV's are based on a 95W lamp so your options are 95W, 190W, 285W, 380W, etc...

TylerDurden is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes it would be good to finally meet you as well. at least for me i think a UV is a must as my current system is Zakki Sieve - pump - multicyclone - Aquabead 4.25 - EVO 110. I think it would be difficult to gravity feed an EVO. Maybe you would have to make the whole unit a bit taller to incorporate a UV but that probably a good thing as you could add to the shower then promote the system as an all in one with Zakki Sieve.

The problem i see with Pump Fed RDF is the pump would get all the heavy debris like leaves and algae clumps. I haven't seen any other pre-filter for heavy debris that can be placed in front of a pump to then send to a pump fed RDF.
      best
      -ben

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes that is true. The Zakki Sieve is the only filter that can do the job properly on a direct suction filter system. Having a Zakki Sieve in front of the ZacoDraco is the way to go, unless you will be filtering a indoor pond or a small QT that will not have the kind of debris load that a standard pond would have. So with that being said a 16" Zakki Sieve, paired with a PerformancePro Artesian2 water pump, then into the ZacoDraco would put you under the $6,000 mark and can handle up to 4,500 GPH of water flow. My Zakki Sieve/pump/bead filter Plug-N-Play filter systems are in that same pricing range but the backwashing of the bead filter has been eliminated, and the biological potential of the filter system has been increased substantially due to the Zakki Shower that is built into the system. That was my ultimate goal.

Incorporating the UV into the filter will be an added expense obviously but it would keep the plumbing footprint small and simple.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

By request, here is a ZacoDraco combination filter I am in the process of installing on a clients pond. The entire filtration system has two bottom drains and two skimmers going into a Zakki Sieve (direct suction sieve) with two pumps pushing the pre-filtered water into the ZacoDraco system. This has two DracoDrum Origins being pump-fed at a rate of 8,000 USA GPH for final mechanical filtration. The clean water then spills over a distribution manifold that separates that 8,000 gph into roughly 2,000 individual streams of water that showers down onto ceramic tubular media for biological filtration. The base of the shower is designed to build up a reservoir of water in the bottom about 24" deep. There are 5 underwater return jets in the pond that have to be gravity fed by this water reservoir, so by building up the 24" water depth, there is no chance of any water bubbles getting sucked into those return pipes. This way the surface of the pond can be completely smooth if the aerators and waterfall are turned off. I needed a rot proof support table for the ZacoDraco to rest on that gave me access tot he return pipes underneath it so I created this table with some extra PVC pipe and sheet material. It turned out looking great and it can at hold a massive amount of weight without deflecting. I will post some install pics when i get back over to the project.

Name:  20170929_125517.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  156.1 KBName:  20170929_125541.jpg
Size:  208.9 KBName:  20171019_142110.jpg
Size:  113.0 KBName:  20171019_142140.jpg
Size:  77.7 KBName:  20171019_142200.jpg
Size:  88.8 KBName:  20171019_161030.jpg
Size:  91.8 KBName:  20171019_161103.jpg
Size:  119.1 KBName:  20171019_161142.jpg
Size:  99.9 KBName:  20171019_161159.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  105.9 KBName:  20171020_100819.jpg
Size:  151.7 KBName:  20171020_100836.jpg
Size:  136.1 KBName:  20171020_100856.jpg
Size:  106.8 KBName:  20171020_100940.jpg
Size:  73.2 KBName:  20171020_100945.jpg
Size:  55.9 KBName:  20171020_101038.jpg
Size:  103.0 KB

audioenvy is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That's a clever solution!
      Last edited by audioenvy; 22 Hours Ago at 04:16 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Here is a quick video of it running...