Thread: Need help Engineering Bio Filter

reefcartel
    has not specified a status.
    Bump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icu2
    should be off flying somwhere
    Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
    I don't think there's any rush on getting the liner... I'd make sure you've got the size finished. If
    you're not sure the liner is the right size there are several online calculators too:

https://www.justliners.com/prodspec.htm

That BD air supply line looks way too small on the one pictured... I'd look for one like the Koi Toilet I:

http://highdesertkoi.com/bottom-drains/

Your BD should be trenched across the pond floor at an even level towards where your filtration
    will be. Then use 45* fittings to make a gradual rise up to the level of the first filter. Remember any
    gravity fed filtration will need to be at pond level...

Question: Have you considered a concrete collar around the pond perimeter for stability? I found it was one of
    the best things I did for my liner pond.
    Do you have a final plan for filtration? I've seen a lot of ideas tossed out there but nothing really decided on.
    I'd have a good idea of what the filtration will be before digging trenches.
    --Steve
    Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

reefcartel

Need help Engineering Bio Filter

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
    I don't think there's any rush on getting the liner... I'd make sure you've got the size finished. If
    you're not sure the liner is the right size there are several online calculators too:

https://www.justliners.com/prodspec.htm

That BD air supply line looks way too small on the one pictured... I'd look for one like the Koi Toilet I:

http://highdesertkoi.com/bottom-drains/

Your BD should be trenched across the pond floor at an even level towards where your filtration
    will be. Then use 45* fittings to make a gradual rise up to the level of the first filter. Remember any
    gravity fed filtration will need to be at pond level...

Question: Have you considered a concrete collar around the pond perimeter for stability? I found it was one of
    the best things I did for my liner pond.
    Do you have a final plan for filtration? I've seen a lot of ideas tossed out there but nothing really decided on.
    I'd have a good idea of what the filtration will be before digging trenches.
    Thank you. Yes theres a concrete liner

As far as the Filtration. I am going with an RDF, Bio and a 4 level shower return similar to this pic.

Last edited by reefcartel; 04-23-2017 at 12:53 AM.

reefcartel
    An RDF and a trickle Shower. First on my list for filtration for 5000 gallons.

reefcartel
    Ready to start digging my pond lol

kevin32
    is getting tired
    CKK in training
    I can help you make a diy shower if you want. i used home depot totes. but would use stackpack totes next time. much easier to do imo. perhaps others can share there stakpak showers...

or text me your email address and I can send a pdf file showing step by step instructions...

reefcartel
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
    I can help you make a diy shower if you want. i used home depot totes. but would use stackpack totes next time. much easier to do imo. perhaps others can share there stakpak showers...

or text me your email address and I can send a pdf file showing step by step instructions...
    Thanks Kevin. Yes that would be awesome. I have an uncle who works in a stainless steel factory. They make Pizza tray and bbq pits etc lol i was thinking help me get dimensions to customize a stainless steel stack pack similar to this one?

kevin32
    is getting tired
    CKK in training
    Quote Originally Posted by reefcartel View Post
    Thanks Kevin. Yes that would be awesome. I have an uncle who works in a stainless steel factory. They make Pizza tray and bbq pits etc lol i was thinking help me get dimensions to customize a stainless steel stack pack similar to this one?

that would be sweet

reefcartel

icu2
    should be off flying somwhere
    Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
    Great start! That's a lot of work...
    --Steve
    Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

ccna101
    Hi,

I think we have similar clay soil in the east bay ... this dry season it solid and hard as -clay- ! then come the water and you can not walk on it

4ft seem to be a good deep + have it raise 18" and you have yourself a 5ft+ pond .

The existing collar looks subpar ? build it just 2x4 and no base / footing ? look to see if they have rebar inside or not ? most likely, you have to add a concrete collar with 8" wide, and a footing of 18" and rebar for support ... Plan carefully and you can use it as raise pond !!! search -KP: we do have a lot of pictures and build somewhere .

PM me if you need any help or ask.

Dong

reefcartel
    Quote Originally Posted by ccna101 View Post
    Hi,

I think we have similar clay soil in the east bay ... this dry season it solid and hard as -clay- ! then come the water and you can not walk on it

4ft seem to be a good deep + have it raise 18" and you have yourself a 5ft+ pond .

The existing collar looks subpar ? build it just 2x4 and no base / footing ? look to see if they have rebar inside or not ? most likely, you have to add a concrete collar with 8" wide, and a footing of 18" and rebar for support ... Plan carefully and you can use it as raise pond !!! search -KP: we do have a lot of pictures and build somewhere .

PM me if you need any help or ask.

Dong
    Thanks Dong. I will send you PM right now. I need more clarification because im not familiar with what base / footing is and the concrete collar is already cemented on there at the same level as all the concrete flooring in my whole backyard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12