Thread: Koi got bitten by a snake

limewalk
    has not specified a status.

Koi got bitten by a snake

Hello everyone, hope you all had a great weekend with your loved ones and lovely koi.

About 8 months ago my tancho showa got bitten on the head by a water snake so the tacho hi cameEm off and left a big hole on my koi. The fish seems to be doing fine and still very friendly but i want to know if this hole will ever healed and should i be worried about it getting infected one day? The wound still looks big and fresh. I like this koi so i dont want to rehome it if i dont have to. Thanks.

Name:  20170319_215740.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  99.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

hatyaiair
    I have lost 3 large Koi to poisonous viper bites. When we do an autopsy on the fish most of the guts are destroyed by the poison. As to if the bite will heal it is hard to say and really depends on the fish and its immune system. We have had fish attached by large fish cats and birds that received big scratches on their backs and some heal fine and others scar badly. After the bite did you remove the fish and treat the bite with anything or inject the fish with a course of anit-biotics. We always inject if the wound is deep to be on the safe side.

RichToyBox
    Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
    Koi Health Care Committee Member
    The wound is not showing any red meat, which indicates that it has skinned over. If that is the case, then it probably won't heal anymore than it already has. The fact that it happened 8 months ago and looks like that adds to the evidence that it is not going to get a whole lot better. Usually the healing of the fish occurs within weeks, not months. If it were going to get infected, it would have happened within a few days of the wound and without treatment, could have gone south very fast.
    Member MAKC

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
    Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
    Richard

limewalk
    Hello hatyaiair. Sorry to hear about your koi. No I didn't treat the bite at all cause I didn't know until a week later.
    Thanks Rich, Your comments are always so insightful. I’ve always enjoyed reading koiman and your comments on this forum.